Multipurpose Schwarzbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
Based on comments in an ANHC talk by Mitch Steele, wherein he mentioned that a lot of session IPA's these days are just a highly hopped Schwarzbier:

I have kegged a small vessel (~10 litre) of Schwarzbier to present to the public at Bitter and Twisted festival this weekend, and had enough remaining to keg another cornie of the same.

Well,... same but different. I plan to double dry-hop it with two separate additions of Cascade, Simcoe and Chinook. Total amounts are 40g Cascade, 30g Chinook and 30g Simcoe.
Edit * - I chose those hops as I'm comfortable with them and believe that they'd blend well. So far, so good.
Tastes great after 24 hr at cool room temp under my house, after the first addition

I'll leave it for another 24 hr and then add another couple of tea bags with the same amount of hops, and then carbonate and chill on Friday from about mid-day.

I plan to serve it with the name of "The Black Death" (my cousin's nickname for Coca-Cola), and serve it as a new-age session IPA (technically an IPL).

I reckon that the punters will love it! I already enjoy it, warm and flat with the start of some hop character. I hope the punters get a chance to enjoy it, as the boys in the club can get very thirsty before the gates open. Nah, we'll be fine...

Latest posts

Back