Mugwort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine_Brewer

Reaction score
If have unlimited supply of Mugwort and was wondering if any have used the herb for bittering before. it does smell really good and I believe it was used before hops were widely introduced. Any ideas...

only that you should tell us how it goes. where did you get it?

*i daresay using it like hops should work. your flying blind on IBU though.

My club has a yearly fun competition and every year has a different stipulation. A few years ago it was "no hops". One guy brewed a mugwort beer and it was very nearly the worst beer I've ever had......Scratch that, it was the worst.

No lie, it smelled like an armpit. I spent many years sharing a cramped, poorly ventilated office with foreign grad students. It reminded me of Fridays in that office, in summer. Saturday was apparently bath day for my office mates as they smelled pretty good on Mondays.

The guy who brewed it read a passage from his brewing notes that it smelled like sweaty socks, armpit, etc. while he was brewing it. It didn't improve. If you do still want to brew one, try "dry hopping" a bottle of whatever commercial beer is about as flavourless as possible so that you can get an idea of its flavour. Also try making a tea and have a taste of that.

In some cultures, armpit beer is a rare delicacy. Would you have preferred a VB ?

In some cultures, armpit beer is a rare delicacy.

I guess that explains why blue cheese exists. ;)

Would you have preferred a VB ?

Never had one, but if it's anything like the megabrews around here, I'll pass. However, if it was that or the mugwort beer, I'd opt for the megabrew.

Do you know the species ? I think Mugwort is commonly a synonym for several plants of the genus Artemisia - which includes wormwood. So all is not lost, depending on what it is, you could get into making your own absinthe ! Although I suspect if it's growing weedy t's probably species vulgaris

Do you know the species ? I think Mugwort is commonly a synonym for several plants of the genus Artemisia - which includes wormwood. So all is not lost, depending on what it is, you could get into making your own absinthe ! Although I suspect if it's growing weedy t's probably species vulgaris

Yep I have had this discussion with a few folks. It definitely is the true Mugwort, which I thought was the one used in Absinthe. Wiki has an article on the active ingredient, found in Thuja genus as well.

did some looking around on the webs and only found one place talking about it.

apparently you have to pick it while flowering and then dry it. when dry you boil it in malt liquer making a decoction which you then add to the wort.

from memory half the reason they all went to hops is because the old way was a pain in the arse.

If we're referring to mugwort as Artemisia absinthium, better known as wormwood, an ingredient in the true absinthe of days long gone, then simply throwing some foliage into a beer is probably haphazardous. At the very least, if it's approached on a gram-for-gram comapison to hops, then yes, you will likely have a bitter, undrinkable brew.

As with any plant material, while there are active chemicals/alkaloids that may be present, there's also a lot of undesirable chemicals that our bodies might not be able to process. Fortunately through evolutionary experience, the hop has been proven to present no ill effects to either mind or body when used as a beer additive, and pretty much everything that comes to the party is good for the tastebuds.

In saying that, such small quantities of wormwood in a brew aren't going to create any health issues, and a controlled quantity might actually bring unique flavours to your beer - but not used to the same values as the hop. Think of a comparison between one gram of household tea steeped into a cup of water, then try infusing a gram of hops for the same duration. I already know which one will have you running for the OJ when you take a sip.

If someone is adventurous enough to want to experiment with wormwood in their next brew, I'm happy to send 10 grams to the first member that PM's me with an expression of interest.

If we're referring to mugwort as Artemisia absinthium, better known as wormwood, an ingredient in the true absinthe of days long gone, then simply throwing some foliage into a beer is probably haphazardous. At the very least, if it's approached on a gram-for-gram comapison to hops, then yes, you will likely have a bitter, undrinkable brew.

As with any plant material, while there are active chemicals/alkaloids that may be present, there's also a lot of undesirable chemicals that our bodies might not be able to process. Fortunately through evolutionary experience, the hop has been proven to present no ill effects to either mind or body when used as a beer additive, and pretty much everything that comes to the party is good for the tastebuds.

In saying that, such small quantities of wormwood in a brew aren't going to create any health issues, and a controlled quantity might actually bring unique flavours to your beer - but not used to the same values as the hop. Think of a comparison between one gram of household tea steeped into a cup of water, then try infusing a gram of hops for the same duration. I already know which one will have you running for the OJ when you take a sip.

If someone is adventurous enough to want to experiment with wormwood in their next brew, I'm happy to send 10 grams to the first member that PM's me with an expression of interest.

ahhh

I have only the vulgaris sp. not the absinthium. Thanks for the heads up.
If anyone wants some Mugwort to try in a brew then let me know. I will give it a miss for now...

Latest posts

Back