Mt. Rainier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score

Pedigree
Complex parentage including Hallertau, Galena and Fuggle
Brewing Usage
Dual Purpose
Aroma
Excellent floral and noble aromas, with citrus and licorice overtones
Alpha Acids
5.0 - 8.1%
Beta Acids
5.0 - 7.0%
Co-Humulone
21 - 24%
Total Oil
0.2 - 0.5 mL / 100g
Myrcene
~29% of total oil
Humulene
~30% of total oil
Caryophyllene
~9.5% of total oil
Farnesene
< 1% of total oil
General Trade Perception
Similar to Hallertau but with more bittering strength
______________________________________________________________________________________

i recently took home some el dorado hops, and never having used them before, made a single hop pale ale with pale malt, crystal, some wheat and a wee touch of dex.

to my surprise, i've just sampled it, and do not get any of the candy, watermelon or sweet notes but am getting STRONG citrus and licorice/aniseed notes. i'm guessing the hops might have been incorrectly labeled but wanted to ask if anyone else had some experience with mt. rainier who might be able to confirm their tastes or give their experiences?

it's not bad, just completely the opposite from the sweet and watermelon and candy tastes and aromas i was expecting! :p

hop-wise, the recipe was:

60 mins - 15ibu magnum
5 mins - 20ibu "el dorado" - which i assume is mt. rainier
dry hopped 2g/L "el dorado" - which i assume is mt. rainier.

any others had experience with it?

Mt. Ranier is really hard to find these days. Yes, Mt. Ranier gives liquorice/aniseed flavours, as well as some woody and some spicy flavors. I've only used it once though, as I could never find it after that.

Did the seller you bought from have Mt. Ranier? If so, who was it? I stopped looking over a year ago.

Mardoo said:
Mt. Ranier is really hard to find these days. Yes, Mt. Ranier gives liquorice/aniseed flavours, as well as some woody and some spicy flavors. I've only used it once though, as I could never find it after that.

Did the seller you bought from have Mt. Ranier? If so, who was it? I stopped looking over a year ago.
PM'ed

Back