Mr Beer 50c a can recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryanemo said:
Anyone have any luck with these? the american light has been tipped twice.
My recipe was as follows:

3x American Light tins
500g Light DME
10g Cascade @ 10mins
10g dry hop
all 3 kit yeasts

OG 1050
FG 1014

It went fine. I drank it. It wasn't great. Probably one of the blandest beers I've ever made, but that's what I expected.
Because it wasn't overly flavoursome I wasn't drinking it very fast and it went a bit weird in the keg. Not quite sure what happened. You'd pour it and smelt fine but it would get a weird smell after it warmed up a couple of degrees. It also left an unpleasant after taste in your mouth. This happened probably after around 3-4 weeks in the keg.
Cant really complain for the pricey sum of around 8 bucks in total!

Just to save people from driving around: Just rang Target Toombul and Chermside. Both have completely sold out on the 50c ones.

I rang both Indooroopilly and Mt Ommaney in Brisbane and both are out too. Though they are stocking the new Coopers small brew kits for Fathers day - for all that's worth.

Gedii, I don't suppose you are willing to pass on a few to a brother in brewing? Not for free of course... :p

Another try, did 4 tins of Patriot Lager with 10 g topaz, boiled for an hour. No chilled in cube, then in fermenter and topped up to 25L, used coopers yeast from euro lager. 3 weeks later, bottled today. didn't detect any twang when bottling, was very bitter. stay tuned. Still have 2 porters and another 7 american lights in cupboard.

Gedii said:
Hi Brewers,

I recently picked up several Mr Beer extract cans (850g) for 50c each. The best before date is still good so I couldn't pass up a bargain. I'm looking for half decent recipes to pimp out this very cheap extract to serve my mates so they stop smashing my experimental brews! It's pretty much a session beer with reasonable taste I'm after. The lads throw $20 in a tin and it's all you can drink at mine (obviously I'm looking to make some money back from the buggers). I have some bits hanging around that I don't mind throwing in the pot and they include the following:

- Ale malt BB
- Crystal Pale Malt TF
- Chocolate Pale Malt B
- Cascade
- Amarillo
- Willamette
- Dex

Mr Beer cans
- 5 x American Ale
- 8 x American Porter
- 22 American Light

Yes, the checkout chick looked at me weird when I rolled up with a trolley load. Cleared the whole shelf!

Anyone got an old recipe that worked out well for them?

Cheers,

Pete.
Pete,

Have a look on the Mr Beer web site in the USA. It has stacks of recipes for it's cans. http://www.mrbeer.com/recipes

Cheers,

Pete M.

Well the Patriot Lager is more like a Scwharzbier... The 5 weeks of bottle conditioning and extra bittering has paid off and i think i may just drink this batch.
Will try something similar with the american lights also... maybe nottingham.

Latest posts

Back