Mowers Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drive motor for the self propel died on my masport. I didnt realise how much I was relying on it to push the thick sir walter, which I think may have killed it.

Yup Sir Walter is the grass for lawnmowing masochists.

Despite previous post or two that my lawn looks like buffalo, the grass is actually normal mongrel couch type lawn grass.

I appreciate that self propelled mowers probably last a few years less than simple push mowers but I figured I'd prefer a mower that I can see out rather than a mower that would see me out :p

I haven't read through much of the thread but have been through my share of mowing dramas through the years being born the only son (thus cursed to mowing by the age I can push a mower).
Dad had a 'crappy' old Briggs and Stratton Rover that was nothing special but lasted years. He got it rebuilt in the early '90s and it still goes to this day. In about '96, dad got sold by a Honda 4 stroke at Henty and while that thing went hard when it ran it was an absolute prick if it didn't want to start. Impossible no matter how many times you cleaned the plug or kicked it.
I bought a Briggs and Stratton 190cc Rover in 2007 and it's been a very reliable unit. No frills, formed steel body with mulching attachment, but gets the job done and powers through long grass. No need to upgrade.
Dad had a Stihl line trimmer (second hand) and my memories of that were trying to start it and tuning it. I learnt a lot about tuning a 2 stroke with idle and run richness actually, so kudos to Stihl for the education. Would never buy one. I bought a Pope one instead for $160 in Bunnings because it was very well balanced and had a funky head on it that apparently saved time over those pesky bump heads. Well that head turned out to be the biggest heap of shit I've ever used in a yard tool. The engine ran really well, started 3rd pull if not the first, and it was very comfortable to use for hours. The head however was the reason I spent hours trimming and was the reason I sold it.
Being the owner of a 1 Ha block I decided to go all out and spent $525 on a Shindaiwa whipper snipper. We looked at Honda, Husqvarna, Victa ect but the Echo and Shindaiwas seemed to be very well made units and to be honest they were expensive and made in Japan, so I thought they must be good. Well I've never been more right in my life. This thing is unreal and I want to sponsor them. We went for a T260X model that doesn't have brushcutter arms but can be sold as a brushcutter. Straight shaft with bump head (that is wound without being disassembled) at 24.1cc that has no issues with grass of any thickness. Absolute class bit of gear and based on 'net reviews, I'll be passing this on to my grandkids. I would pick their blowers and chainsaws without hesitation.
For our block we were tossing up ride ons and there was a lot to consider. Zero turn, Kohler engines, cutting width, power blah blah blah. My in-laws all have Huskies with Kohler engines so therefore, anything else is utter rubbish that will ruin your lives. Translated in my head was "don't buy a Huski out of spite". After eBay trolling we eventually settled on a Huski RZ4219 zero turn unit. A year old and with an RRP of $5k, it's the cheapest in the range but still a zero turn 106cm ride on. I've used it once an it's a breeze to use. Just craps all over common steering for awkward shapes. 3.5 hours to do our hectare, but that will drop once we get a house and other stuff on there. And with a 19hp Briggs and Stratton thank you very much outlaws, so while the mower is yet to stand the test of time the engine I'm sure will last.
Did I write all that? So I did, thank you the 3 beers that I've had this whole time.
Ed: buy Shindaiwa

I have always had Stihl gear. Never had a problem with there trimmer or chainsaws. Their chainsaws are the only ones worth buying. The big forest Huskies are also very good to. Just ask the loggers and timber cutter up here. Either Stihl or Huskies. Everything else just dont make the grade .... or in the words of one logger I now.." Get a stihl or Huskie...everything else is shit "

The biggest thing with 2 strokes is

A. Stale fuel. Run them until they run out of fuel

B. The type of 2 stroke oil you use. The more exy ones are ash & soot less and are much better

I hit the top of the mountain with my 20yr old Honda and cracked the engine.

Replaced it with the Honda HRX217, 21" self propelled hydrostatic cruise control, key start and blade brake (not engine brake).

http://m.powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrx217hza

Now my wife fights me to see who gets to use the lawnmower.

It double mulches the grass, so smaller clippings use less space.

Would recommend.

I didn't realise Honda had gone into the magic business. Anyone that can make a woman WANT to mow the lawn is a wizard in my book. Hell, anyone that can make ME want to mow the lawn… :p

Brad, being a mechanically minded person as you are, I don't need to remind you that the self propelled mowers generally operate on a sort of clutch mechanism and if the self propelled thing stops working, it might be a fairly simple fix to get new clutch plate or whatever.
I have to go into the Stihl shop where I bought the Honda from, to get my 10 hour oil change kit, and I'll ask them for a ball park figure on repairing a self propelled. They have a major workshop for the whole district so should be able to indicate a price range, you'd think.

boer1.jpg
I'm running 4 of these at the moment.......Never had a problem getting started, never had to push.

Bribie G said:
Brad, being a mechanically minded person as you are, I don't need to remind you that the self propelled mowers generally operate on a sort of clutch mechanism and if the self propelled thing stops working, it might be a fairly simple fix to get new clutch plate or whatever.
I have to go into the Stihl shop where I bought the Honda from, to get my 10 hour oil change kit, and I'll ask them for a ball park figure on repairing a self propelled. They have a major workshop for the whole district so should be able to indicate a price range, you'd think.
Yeah mate I took a look when it first shat itself, it looks like a simple swap of drive motor unfortunately laziness has stopped me from fixing it.

Cheers

jlm said:
attachicon.gif
boer1.jpg
I'm loving 4 of these at the moment.......Never had a problem getting started, never had to push back on them.
Fixed that for you.

Cant resist a goat sex joke.

I dunno what you mainland perverts do with your stock but down here we only **** our blood relatives.

Weirdos.

jlm said:
I dunno what you mainland perverts do with your stock but down here we only **** our blood relatives.

Weirdos.
You've obviously never been to Woodenbong, up the road from here. Population 300, surnames 3, headcount 322.

jlm said:

Weirdos.
Its not perverted, its my goat.

Latest posts

Back