Mowers Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I currently live in a villa with a couple of patches of lawn, and use an Ozito electric mower that's perfect.

However next month I'm moving to a house on a third of an acre, mostly lawn. I possess an old Briggs n Stratton endowed mower that's a 16 inch cut but that just won't cut it, literally so I'm keeping it as a spare. I can just imagine starting it up and hearing it yell "what the fark!".

Now, as you gentleman and any ladies love lawn mowing to work up that important thirst, as well as having an excuse to brew a lawnmower lager, I'd appreciate any recommendations;
It's an Aussie traditional grass looking lawn, not Buffalo thank goodness.

Ideally I'll need something with a 21 inch cut and self-propelled. On a block that size, that would make me walk at least 3 kilometres. That's fine, but I have no intention of actually pushing the thing for 3k and those mothers are heavy (checked one out at a Honda dealer) and the long block has a slight slope.

Honda: Looked fine in the dealers but Internet comments slag them off, apparently they get hard to start and on the "mulch" setting they just tend to spit gobs of mushy grass at you.
Toro and Masport: any good?

I see good old Rover are still in business.

Looking to spend up to $900.

Roundup_PowerMAX_Herbicide_2_5_Gallon.jpg

Or get Lincoln to do it for you :D

Ah roundup, the gardener's friend.

This could be the answer

sheep.jpg

But I just wouldn't be able to help myself, I know it. That's why I had to leave Wales.

Go and ask the pro ground staff at your local golf club what they recommend. If they don't know, no one will.
Sling them a some longies, and they'll be your friends for life.

My last Masport died only earlier this year after 25 years of dedicated service. I only dumped it because I couldn't replace the starter cord.
Toro seems to be a brand that's used fairly widely professionally, including at my golf club.

PS: Now you plan to leave your up market villa, where's the 1/3rd acre block? Good luck with the move.

warra48 said:
Go and ask the pro ground staff at your local golf club what they recommend. If they don't know, no one will.
Sling them a some longies, and they'll be your friends for life.

PS: Now you plan to leave your up market villa, where's the 1/3rd acre block?
Kyogle Heights I believe

Bribie

Get a scythe. Much faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I4RNenmfFI

Yup it's at Geneva which is up the hill on the other side of the Richmond River from Kyogle so we can sit back and enjoy watching the rest of the town being flooded periodically .. Looking forward to sessions with the KGB

Kyogle Gentlemen Brewers that is, and hopefully will be of assistance in getting a Northern Rivers club happening based on Grafton so as not to put too much strain on Stu's Morrie Minor .. we are right on the cusp after a couple of bloody good years assisting at the Grafton Show thanks to BrewMatt and other Graftonians .... it's only an hour and a half down the Summerland Way.

I have a shed down the back :)

The Mango Bar.jpg

I'll snag a couple of groundsmen if I spot them at the Golf Club (social member) - excellent suggestion.

And pop into local Masport dealer to have a look at the range.

So what made you move up there. ?

But i must say Kyogle is a very nice part of the world

The idea of a Northen Rivers Brew Club with chapters does sound good

And the Morry ute is getting an Austin Healey engine very soon ( sometime in the new year ) so grain deliveries will be cheap. Cost me $40 round trip from Grafton to the Gold Coast in petrol.

I have a Toro, 198cc Briggs and Stratton, 22 inc cut and self propelled, rarely missed a beat since I have had it

Thanks. Yup, from trawling product reviews and Whirlpool it seems that some reputable brands such as Masport and Honda have trashed themselves in recent years by either having a really good Briggs and Stratton on a shit chassis (as per some Masport models made specially for Bunnings) or a Shit Honda made-in-China motor on a decent chassis.

Major problem with the All-Honda models seems to be them clogging because although they have the genuine Jap motor there is a ridiculously small chute out the back that doesn't seem to suit many Aussie lawns, especially the Buffalo variety when a bit damp.

If the Toro is a good solid chassis and a BnS Motor I'd bet you can't go wrong, as posted.

Be sure to test drive the self propulsion Bribie. My old man's mower (maybe masport?) drives forward too quickly and you have to power walk to keep up. Riding the hand clutch doesn't do it any favours either.
I'd look at a mulching mower or one with a mulching attachment so you're not emptying the catcher every 5 mins.
Apart from that, an alloy chassis and a decent B&S engine is desirable.

Bribie G said:
Thanks. Yup, from trawling product reviews and Whingepool
******* whingepool...pfft

Those blokes would whinge that a barren desert was to green

The toro is self paced system, only goes as fast as you are

I liked the look of the husqvarna range too, but quite pricey

You want one of these babies

Interestingly, the first Victa mower motors where actually cast in South Grafton. True story

4318c1f43416a67ad711f64fe0fa2e4e.jpg

How about one of those robot mowers?

When I looked at them as an option 4 years ago they were all new and about 2K, should have ironed out all their little quirks and be just about in your price range by now. Should...

We have Honda's or Briggs Engines on random brand bases for work, and we'd have over 50 push mowers. Honda are good, bought one for mum for her birthday.

The base is nothing at the end of the day

If the enigine is shit, well...you got a shit mower

Oil is critical with engines. B&S like straight 30w oil

My ole ute cant handle modern oil. Likes a good old fashioned oil. Fucks up the lifters, cam & rockers if you use fancy modern oil

Latest posts

Back