Moving Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving house next week at very short notice, and will have to obviously move all my beer gear.
In my haste last weekend, i racked a lovely IPA and dry hopped it, without measuring the SG first.

The next day when i saw a new layer of krausen on the beer, i took a sample and it read 1.025, so it must have got stuck.

It's now fermented out, but due to moving it will have to wait 3 - 4 weeks before i can attend to it. What i'm worried about is it sitting on the trub of the second fermentation for that long, so i'm thinking about racking it again.
But i'll lose a lot of the yeast in doing so, so do you think that it will have enough yeast left in 3 weeks to carbonate the bottles? (i'm not hardcore enough to keg an IPA)

I also have a mid-strength beer that's sitting at 1.010 but it's still got 2" of krausen on it. Strange.

John
There will be enough yeast I beleive. I have racked a lager to CC from Secondary and left to CC for 6 weeks. There was still plenty of yeast. It carbonated fine after a bulk prime.
In your situation you will probably have to worry more about temp than anything else.

cheers

and be careful when moving the fermenters etc (if full) , you don't want to much (or none) splashing as it might oxidise and start tasting like wet cardboard (done that more then once :ph34r: )

Don't worry about kegging the IPA, John - I'll help you drink it..... ;)

- Snow

B) Hey, I'm here to help as well. Just say the word :chug: :chug:

The head space in the fermentor should be sufficiently full of CO2 to mean that oxidation won't be a problem, although in lifting the fermentor you will more than likely introduce O2, and create yourself a little problem. :(

Chatty

Snow said:
Don't worry about kegging the IPA, John - I'll help you drink it..... ;)

- Snow
I'm sure you will :)
I think living 200m from another brewer may end up being bad for my liver :)

go to bunnings and buy a 20l water jerry can for $16, fill it, then put it in a fridge somewhere....

So I am about to move, well in 1 month and I will have a few brews in cubes, how do they handle the car trip? It's not a big trip but is there any tips to prevent oxidation?

Last time I moved I planned it so everything was in kegs. They handled the trip fine.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Last time I moved I planned it so everything was in kegs. They handled the trip fine.

Beers,
Doc
[post="63134"][/post]​

yeah this is what I was thinking, my only problem is the move is only a maybe and if I stop brewing now, fill the kegs up and we don't move for 6-8 weeks then I am 2 months without beer... haha

Doc said:

Beers,
Doc
[post="63134"][/post]​

When I moved recently , from Dampier in the Pilbara to Qld. it was a 7000km trip up and over the top.
I had a large esky in the dingy on tow , in that fresh block ice each day and all my yeast starters and hops :p

Looks as if they made it Ok , perhaps the hops may not be as fresh as they once where.

Once I put my stirrer together I will know how the starters travelled.

Batz

Latest posts

Back