Moved My Keg System And Now Can't Get It To Work...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerritoryBrew

Reaction score
Hey lads and ladies,

I just kegged a weizen and have chilled it down to drinking temp. I 'Rossed' the keg and now when I pull the tap all I am getting is spluttering, like the CO2 is mixing somewhere with the beer, I am very confused...

I have made sure that I didn't swap the in/out over by accident, all fine...
I have waited until te hour was up after forced carbonation
I used the same keg the other day to clean the lines, did the same thing.

Why would it be spluttering, even when I have it at 1kpa (15psi)?

What could cause this...

Thanks,

Reece

Well assuming everything is attached properly, only thing I can think of is maybe the keg has been filled above the gas inlet tube.

I'm sure more experienced keggers will have more ideas than myself if that isn't the prob, best of luck.

I don't yet have kegs, GRRR, but here is my 2c.

If this is an on going problem with the keg, I wonder if your dip tube has a hole or crack close to the top. this would cause the spatter as it lifts part of the beer then gets a line full of gas and so on.

May be need to change beer to a different keg and have a full inspection of the keg.

Drew

It's an outside chance, but if your gas line has a non-return valve fitted it's possible that you still have 250kPa in the keg, but the regulator is showing 10kPa. Or if you didn't burp the keg after you "Ross'd" it you may have left 250kPa of pressure in the headspace for too long causing the beer to be massively over-carbonated. In either case you would need to reduce the carbonation for it to pour. Shake the keg for a few seconds, then burp it, then shake and burp, etc. Try pouring after about 5 repeats and see if there is any difference.

Tom

If this happened before you moved it awhile ago, I would be checking your dip tube doesnt have a small leak in it.
If it does and it is getting gas before the beer it would splutter and spray a little as described.

If this happened before you moved it awhile ago, I would be checking your dip tube doesnt have a small leak in it.
If it does and it is getting gas before the beer it would splutter and spray a little as described.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, but I figured it out...

I stuffed it up. See when I moved I took apart all my kegs and cleaned them so they were like new. Anyway, turns out when I put the posts back on a couple (or all) I put the o-ring in the wrong spot, on top of the dip tube, not under the lip between the keg and the tube.

All sorted now and I have learnt a valuable lesson... Don't drink and clean.

Cheers lads, I now have a keg of weizen to drink.

Latest posts

Back