Mouse Plague

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerLung

Reaction score
Well, strictly speaking - given that the mouse at one stage ate some of my malt, this could be beer related.

I'm on the Central Coast NSW. Not sure if you know, but there is a mouse plague......

Sitting in the lounge room on Saturday with a mate, I see a mouse on the back patio.

Place a little trap
Mate leaves
Trap goes off in the evening
See the mouse Is definitely dead. Snapped at the neck. Ain't going anywhere. Dead. Cold. Blood. Gone.
Thought - I'll leave it there until I put the kid to bed
Kid goes to be at 830.
I fall asleep next to him
Wake up next day - trap gone :s
Missus got home from worm at 10pm, so I just assume she chucked it.
I get home from work on Sunday evening - missus knows nothing about it al all.
Dogs in the backyard, can't get on the patio
No cats
Extreemly unlikely to be a bird.

I can't work out where the trap with the dead mouse is? No idea at all.

Is it possible another mouse came and took his brother, trap and all for a litle mourning?

Go on - have some fun on this topic - but please help me - where is the mouse and trap?

Matt

Rats, they are in huge numbers as well. They steal my mouse traps or eat the trapped mice making look like a scene out of the movie Alien.

Solved the mouse issue with best trap ever from stockfeed store. Live trap with no moving parts and just fills up with mice. 5 in a span of a few morning hours is my record.

Use them to go fishing, feed your dog or cat or toss the trap into a bucket of water.

Now if only the had a bigger one for rats instead of a bigger mouse one that can hold 20+ of the little bastards.

I bought all the traps and poisons in shops and Bunnings and they never worked great until a farmer put me on to these stockist traps.

For grains I have 10 giant food import barrels or 2,200 litre storage capacity and the house pantry is stacks of 50 litre plastic storage crates so any rodent will be pissed off if they break into the kitchen or the brewery.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Rats, they are in huge numbers as well. They steal my mouse traps or eat the trapped mice making look like a scene out of the movie Alien.

Solved the mouse issue with best trap ever from stockfeed store. Live trap with no moving parts and just fills up with mice. 5 in a span of a few morning hours is my record.

Use them to go fishing, feed your dog or cat or toss the trap into a bucket of water.

Now if only the had a bigger one for rats instead of a bigger mouse one that can hold 20+ of the little bastards.

I bought all the traps and poisons in shops and Bunnings and they never worked great until a farmer put me on to these stockist traps.

For grains I have 10 giant food import barrels or 2,200 litre storage capacity and the house pantry is stacks of 50 litre plastic storage crates so any rodent will be pissed off if they break into the kitchen or the brewery.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Hey mate - thanks for the reply

is this the one?

http://www.buyster.com.au/asp/show_detail....APETS49-PON1024

Gimme more info on this trap...... and advice on the rat?

Give it a week. You'll find it.

Then let it mummify and post it to manticle.

He like's to draw dead things. Quite a dab hand at it. Maby he could do you a composite sketch if you give him a description.

At least I think it's him - apologies if someone else.

Hey mate - thanks for the reply

is this the one?

http://www.buyster.com.au/asp/show_detail....APETS49-PON1024

Gimme more info on this trap...... and advice on the rat?

yep that is the one. a pinch of old malted barley, peanut butter or whatever and a shake moves the bait inside and its ready to go.

I'm going to another stockist this weekend whom I was told had the regular mouse ones for $8 so I will let you know because $32 is the range of steel spring loaded live rat traps.

Rats are bastards. Survived broken legs, whacks with shovels and still scurried away at full speed... But couldnt beat the lawn mower when it hid under it and I pulled the starter cord.

I get the most rats with poison but stopped because my dog eats them and I dont want to risk it any more.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I use Nooski traps for the rats, pity they're no good for mice though, they get straight through. Said trap is a tube with a lever on one end, rat goes under the lever (to reach food) & triggers a rubber ring, much like the ones they use to knacker sheep, which near on takes their head straight off if it's a small rat, the bigger ones just get strangled in a split second.

For mice, I sit a tallie on a bench, with the neck overhanging. Smear cooking oil on the neck. Put peanut butter just in the opening. Place a large bucket under the bench.
Mice walk along to get the food, slip off the neck, into the bucket.

For mice, I sit a tallie on a bench, with the neck overhanging. Smear cooking oil on the neck. Put peanut butter just in the opening. Place a large bucket under the bench.
Mice walk along to get the food, slip off the neck, into the bucket.

What a classic.

Good news, found the trap and remains of a mouse. Looks like it was a rat.

Anyone seen the faulty towers episode "basil the rat"? "is not rat, is special Siberian hamster"

Give it a week. You'll find it.

Then let it mummify and post it to manticle.

He like's to draw dead things. Quite a dab hand at it. Maby he could do you a composite sketch if you give him a description.

At least I think it's him - apologies if someone else.

Your memory serves you well.

I accept any and all dead things in postal packages.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=36890&hl=

I have a rat in my shed now too. Saw him disappear out the back of my "miscellaneous brew stuff" drawer. ******* ate half my vinyl tubing.

we have more mice at home than mickey mouses birthday party.
I have 8 traps in the garage and empty them at least twice a day.
I think I have caught over 160 in the last 2 weeks.
The bastards sit and watch me bottling beer....Mouse House Ale :lol:

we have more mice at home than mickey mouses birthday party.
I have 8 traps in the garage and empty them at least twice a day.
I think I have caught over 160 in the last 2 weeks.
The bastards sit and watch me bottling beer....Mouse House Ale :lol:

sounds like u need some pet snakes :)

I am a fellow coastie and back onto bushland

i have issues with mice, rats etc all the time...

bought some massive traps, not so long ago one went off, took the mouses arm totally off at the elbow...

I still hope to catch the rest of him.

I'm on the central coast NSW - you are welcome to come and "pick it up". Remains of a mouse, 1/3 eaten by a rat.

I haven't told my wife coz it is in a place she wont see :)

U pick up the mouse - I'll buy a drawing of it - Deal ?

Great deal but I'm inner suburban Vic

I am a fellow coastie and back onto bushland

i have issues with mice, rats etc all the time...

bought some massive traps, not so long ago one went off, took the mouses arm totally off at the elbow...

I still hope to catch the rest of him.

lol

I'm in the same boat - i live in Kariong - house backs onto the National Park - we have 2 dogs - so there is a constant food source for the rodents.

I'm interested in that trap brewer Pete is talking about.

Where on the Coast u from? PM me for a beer?

We have had a mouse problem as well, whilst not a plague, but still a few. I think I carried it home from work in my lunch bag, as we have both mice and rats at work. Anyway the little farger was having a nibble on some grain after chewing through the bag, and quite frequently popped up in the pantry. As is the way he (assuming it was a male) got a name, " Graham ". Set a few traps and sure enough, poor old Graham got done. Sort of upset the kids a little, but now were up to Graham 11, no one cares anymore. Pretty much over it. However we haven't had a new Graham for a few days, fingers crossed.
Apologoies to all who are named Graham.
LagerBomb

had to put up with a plague early last year while working in ceduna,now the numbers a rising in tumby bay ,about 40 km north .
if they end up here the kids jack russell will have a field day,the fat little #$%^er could use the excercise....cheers....spog...r

lol

I'm in the same boat - i live in Kariong - house backs onto the National Park - we have 2 dogs - so there is a constant food source for the rodents.

I'm interested in that trap brewer Pete is talking about.

Where on the Coast u from? PM me for a beer?

I am in Niagara Park, not too far away at all.

Back