Mountain goat Red IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradbel

Reaction score
G'day,

Wondering if any of you have attempted to create mountain goats's Red IPA.
Have managed to get my hands on the NZ malts, red back, Vienna and shepherds delight.

Would really appreciate some guidance around the grain bill and hop additions.

Cheers

Can't help you much on the recipe, particularly as i haven't tried the MGRIPA.
However, i'd suggest 2 things:
1) email Dave at MG, he's been known to be extremely helpful to HB'ers and their recipe/clone attempts. Given they've just been bought by Asahi, he may be either even more helpful or he's gone looking for real estate in the Bahamas B)
2) troll through the Case Swap review threads - you should be able to find a couple of reviews of IPAs & RIPAs where the brewers have then later posted their recipes. It'll give you a rough idea of where to start. I think GrumpyPaul did one for the 2014 Vic's Xmas Swap. It was damn fine.

How much IPA/RIPA experience have you had?

A simple RIPA would be to get your typical IPA recipe & add Roasted Barley or CaraAroma (Look at the Gladfields website to estimate their equivalent to CaraAroma (I think Shepherd's delight is pretty bang on for it)). You could throw in a little Melanoiden for more maltiness, maybe. Med crystal for more caramel element.
Maybe check the Feral Hop Hog clone thread to see what Danestead's done with hops additions there. It'll at least give you an idea of the timing of the additions. Beware: the amount of hops involved is daunting.

Good luck.

RIPAs are awesome, so hopefully Dave can post the recipe. He's a great brewer, so it'd be fantastic to see what he's come up with for this style.
I'll have to go find me a bottle or 2...

Hi there, Thanks very much for the reply and for the tips.
I'll email Dave and hopefully can convince him to share the recipe.
Finding it hard to believe they sold to asahi.
Not much experience in Ripa, I've attempted to make the Ripa twice before but without the gladfield malts, never really tasted the same.
Where do I find the threads you mentioned?
Cheers

That version from the case swap that TB posted a link to was great.

I'll post the lastest iteration of it which is not quite so red, and not quiet so IPA - but it scored a very healthy 120 point in the Specialty category.

I am currently drinking this version that is lower on the the IBUs (about 64). Its also a bit different in the malt profile than the original - simply beacause thats what I had on hand. It doesnt have the nice red hue the earlier version did.

My view on cloning is that they usually "inspired by" rather true clones. At the end of the day you make beer....cant complain about that.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 19.0
Total Grain (kg): 6.860
Total Hops (g): 120.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 13.7 (EBC): 27.0
Bitterness (IBU): 64.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 60
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.100 kg Pilsner (45.19%)
3.050 kg Maris Otter Malt (44.46%)
0.450 kg Vienna (6.56%)
0.107 kg Melanoidin (1.56%)
0.100 kg Crystal 120 (1.46%)
0.053 kg Roasted Barley (0.77%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Falconers Flight Plug (9.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
25.0 g Galaxy Pellet (4.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
10.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.5 g/L)
20.0 g Falconers Flight Pellet (9.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.1 g/L)
20.0 g Galaxy Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back