Mountain Goat Ipa...rip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I think it should work well with the punters too. It's a clever combination. A reasonably priced, organic, easy drinking, boutique "steam" beer from a Melbourne micro. It could clean up in the wanna-be beer snob market. I can already hear my friends enthusiastically asking me if I've tried this. Being in bottles, it can also get into the cafe's, bars & restaurants.

From the Goat Army newsletter yesterday (14/12):

Thanks for your support this year. We've had a mental 12 months
with changes on all fronts here at Goat. Feedback from the Army
on our whole repackaging process was unreal and much apprceiated.
The Steam Ale is being embraced more enthusiastically than we
ever dreamed and is now outselling the Hightail in kegs and in
bottles
. Amazing. Have a great xmas and make sure you drink some
good beer.

I'm not one of those people who hates to say I told you so. Although not sure who I was telling exactly...
I've heard they have had to brew offsite to keep up with orders. Wasn't a great fan at first, but I've warmed to this one. You can easily do a session on it. I'll be crying if it starts replacing the HTA in pubs though.

Congrats to the Goat guys.

Cheers
Polar

I had a few of these over the weekend..

Its an ale for the lager crowd Sessionable, yes.. Fantastic, no

I gotta say though, I do enjoy their Hightail ale more than the IPA, but its bit of a shame to see an IPA get replaced by a "steam" beer.
And I use the term "steam" loosely, because it's nothing like Anchor Steam or the Californian Common style which is generally an amber beer with a pronounced caramel maltiness. I'd say it's more of a "Cream" ale...as described by Ratebeer. http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/cream-ale/35/

The goat Steam Beer is a plain beer with very little of anything.

But it will appeal to the masses and appears to have.

I think it will do way better than some of the other new 'plain' offerings out there. Tried some Coopers 62 Pilsener last week and think it's terrible.

We had it at work (delivered free to the office when you register on their site) and the mainstream beer drinkers were choosing CUB product over it that was already in the fridge as they didn't like the taste either.

The Goat Boys have the right idea releasing this in time for summer as to the average punter's taste (not us) the Hightail is too dark and heavy. They want sessionable light and fluffy beer water and the Steam beer delivers. I don't agree with joe average but they pay MG's bills I guess.

I hope the boys never ditch the hightail and keep it going though. If that day ever came it would be terrible.

Hopper.

The Goat Boys have the right idea releasing this in time for summer as to the average punter's taste (not us) the Hightail is too dark and heavy. They want sessionable light and fluffy beer water and the Steam beer delivers. I don't agree with joe average but they pay MG's bills I guess.

I think this is something we should be happy for. With mountain goat increasing their sales with the introduction of the Steam Ale we might be lucky to see their in-brewery roationals making it to the bottling line and an increased distribution nationally. Unfortunatly these rotationals rarely make it out of the warehouse but with their rebranded image the times might be changing.

As a regular bottled beer it may be no longer but I had what I believe is a revamped, non-organic and much better IPA at the brewery maybe late October/Early November. Lots of Galaxy and Simcoe from memory.

As a regular bottled beer it may be no longer but I had what I believe is a revamped, non-organic and much better IPA at the brewery maybe late October/Early November. Lots of Galaxy and Simcoe from memory.

Yeh. This topic is ages old now. The new IPA (only on tap in the brewery AFAIK) is definatley superior to the redundant bottled version IMO. At the time I put the OP, Goat hadn't brewed any of the new stuff.

The first time I tried a bottle of Goat's steam it had a few faults to it but I could really see what they were aiming for. Since then I've had a few at the brewery and it was a simply marvellous beer; light, crisp yet with good mouthfeel & some great hop aroma and eminently sessionable. But unfortunately, just over the road at the Royston it was tasting mediocre again :(

Bottom line to me is I don't care how many (or few) IBUs this beer has or how light-on it might seem, at its best it's a really good drinking ale. More of an 'anti steam' ale by the fermentation profile, but the beer itself more than makes up for that.

I agree with Kai - can't understand the "boring" or "uninteresting" comments - the steam beer is really good beer. well made, well balanced and tasty. Oh its not an IPA.. but who the hell wants to drink IPAs all the time? I love a good Lager, Kolsch, Cream Ale, Steam Beer (you will note they call it Steam Ale .. not California Common, which is amber and a lager) And if the regular punters happen to like it too... well thats just a fantastic move on the part of the goat boys... they made a great tasting beer thats popular as well. Shame on them :rolleyes:

Anyway - I'm off to tip out the beers I have on tap - I've just learned that pilsners and cream ales and the like are too boring for a proper beer appreciator to drink and thats what my keggerator is full of at the moment.........

TB

Anyway - I'm off to tip out the beers I have on tap - I've just learned that pilsners and cream ales and the like are too boring for a proper beer appreciator to drink and thats what my keggerator is full of at the moment.........

Wait til I bring my kegs around TB.. I'm all out. :p
Had a great day brewing Tony's LCBA clone today. First time ever did I hit my target volume and gravity. Yippee.....

Back