Mould in brew, any chance of saving ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CasualNerd

Reaction score
I've got a kit IPA in the fermenter at the moment, and just went to add the dry hops but there's a ring of mould above the beer in the fermenter. I know I should probably just toss the whole thing, but is there a way to recover it ?

Looks like the mould will barely survive on the surface of the beer which makes me think it's not going to have affected the taste too badly - I'm just wondering how to clean it up or if there are some tricks that can be used ?

20180708_165730.jpg
20180708_1657302.jpg

Pics as requested. I'm on the edge of tossing it, but it breaks my heart ! :(

Have you moved the fermentor around during kresen? It looks like yeast to me. I wouldn't be too worried at the moment. There are a few people on here who would be able to give you a definitive answer so I would hang on a bit longer.

Have you moved the fermentor around during kresen?

I opened it 24 hours ago and put the hop pellets in. I think it's bubbled up a bit and come back down since, the white was on the edge of the liquid yesterday.

It looks alot like the yeasty sludge that I had to wipe up the other day. An angry fermentation blasted through my airlock.

As long as the hydrometer samples taste fine I'd continue as normal.

I'm with the others, I don't think it is mould. Mould would be furry looking.

Thanks all !

I've only done half a dozen brews so it's great to have extra eyes on
:bigcheers:

Yep just yeast/krausen muck. I did have mould on top of a batch of lager a few years ago but it appeared when the krausen did and floated on top of it. I think it came from an infected yeast starter. I considered tipping it out, but instead I sanitised a mash paddle and scooped the shit out and left the beer to ferment, then later served it at a wedding. Turned out fine and everyone loved it.

Infections during fermentation are far more likely to occur towards the end of the fermentation & / or if you haven't bottled it once fermentation is complete and the weather is warmer.
If you get some white blobs or a thin white scum on top of the wort, then use a small strainer to gently skim it off and rinse between each time you skim more off. When you decant the brew to bottle it, maybe leave a bit more in the bottom than you usually would. I've done this several times without any dramas.

Hang on guys. Let's not be too hasty. He should split the batch in two and send half to me and the other half to Jack of all biers. We'll dispose of it in a suitable manner.

Back