Mould Everywhere - Should I Just Throw It Away?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Just discovered i forgot to clean my no-chill cube - one of those blue ones. Mould cultures are so big i think they are developing their own civilisation with writing and all.

Option 1 clean it: It's difficult to get inside and really scrub it, but I could one of those green pot scrubbers on the end of a stick, then fill it with a double dose of sodium percarbonate.
Option 2 forget it: Buy a new one.

Has anyone had really bad mould and recovered the vessel? I've seen stories where people keep getting infections.

Had mould and sandfly/midgie eggs in one. Rinsed heaps, filled with a bleach solution for a week rinsed out and starsan. I have used that cube twice since and have had no infections at all.

Gavo.

This is what I would do. One of my no-chill cubes is filled with PBW at the moment.

Rinse with water to clean some of the chunky bits out.
Rinse with bleach to mess up the mold.
Rinse again.
Soak with napisan (unscented) to clean some more.
Soak with PBW to get clean.

Or search for cube cleaning. There was a thread not long ago (less than a fortnight) that had more information.

If you was to calculate the cost of the chemicals involved to get it clean. What if a spore goes astray while your cleaning it and infiltrates your brewery through another avenue?
Not to mention man hours and water.
Then not having the piece of mind that it's not going to ruin a brew that cost a shit load to make and many hours.
Perhaps finding another use for it may offset the cost of another also.

With No- Chill you've probably got a better chance of resurrecting it. However, before that do the PBW or perc soak for a while, maybe a week or two with a regular shake or even take it for a long sunday drive (1/2 full is good).
But, before any of that, remind yourself what it costs in ingredients, energy and your time plus the inconvenience of lost production for you to tip a batch and weigh that up... Good luck!

I pay $15 for my cubes; I would be getting a new one. One batch of beer is worth more than that.

QldKev

im always too lazy to clean my fermenters, and 90% of the time they look like that. I soak them for a couple days in sodium percarb, rinse and santize. never had a problem.

A bit OT, but I was given a 25L cube that was full of shampoo. Can I ever get rid of this smell? Soaked it in soduim perc then PSR. Bloody thing still smells of shampoo.
I didnt want to use it for no-chill, but for grain storage.

Greg

Soak it in Nappysan with the hottest water you can get.....let it soak a few days, should come up like new...

PBW after that help even more

I know you probably hate waste as much as I do.

I would be desperately wanting to salvage the cube myself, (being on a limited budget accentuates that). You'd probably be fine. However, completely unrelated to brewing but my studies have required a bit of developing an understanding of mould. Yes it relates to how it affects museum objects but anyway:

Some moulds are very toxic (some are obviously not - like penicillin or cheese moulds etc). They can be toxic even to breathe. I don't make any claims about what is growing on your cube.

Mould spores can lie dormant for incredible lengths of time then suddenly rear their ugly heads, unannounced.

Areas where mould has grown before, even if all spores seem to have been killed are always more susceptible to future mould attack.

Find another, non brewing use for it so you don't feel like you're contributing to landfill and grab another.

2L of homebrand bleach(unsented) at 2$ a bottle. Only need a litre but use the two litres if you wish. Fill the cube to overflowing with water and place lid on. Leave for a week, but will be spotless after 2 days. Rinse with boiling water once or twice to remove chlorine. Be sure that the handle at the top is filled as well or leave it on its side. You do not need to scrub a thing. :D

with all the disinfectants etc etc we have available to us it shouldn't matter if you pulled a mouldy maggot infested dead cat outa there

2L of homebrand bleach(unsented) at 2$ a bottle. Only need a litre but use the two litres if you wish. Fill the cube to overflowing with water and place lid on. Leave for a week, but will be spotless after 2 days. Rinse with boiling water once or twice to remove chlorine. Be sure that the handle at the top is filled as well or leave it on its side. You do not need to scrub a thing. :D

2L of bleach not very good for the environment. Also I though Bleach did not actually kill the spores, I though white vinegar killed them.

QldKev

Soak in Sodium percarbonate (nappysan) to clean and then in acidified bleach (bleach + vinegar) to kill anything left over - there is a reference somewhere here to indicate a 20min soak will kill even the most stubborn spores.
2L of bleach not very good for the environment. Also I though Bleach did not actually kill the spores, I though white vinegar killed them.
The bleach kills, the vinegar acidifies the bleach to make it much more 'active'.

with all the disinfectants etc etc we have available to us it shouldn't matter if you pulled a mouldy maggot infested dead cat outa there

or a mouldy maggot infested dead human baby for that matter either. Leave the cats alone!

Soak in Sodium percarbonate (nappysan) to clean and then in acidified bleach (bleach + vinegar) to kill anything left over - there is a reference somewhere here to indicate a 20min soak will kill even the most stubborn spores.

The bleach kills, the vinegar acidifies the bleach to make it much more 'active'.

I think you'll find that although common belief is you need bleach; vinegar by itself will actually kill spores.

QldKev

I would soak in PBW/Napisan for a few days - start with hot water
Rinse and then soak in Bleach/Vinegar for a few days
Rinse in hot water and then run some Starsan through it
Empty it out and put it aside for a few days... After the few days, take a wiff and see if it smells or not - if it does, then try the above steps again, or turf it... You should be able to get the Mold, etc out eventually but may take a few soaks to get there...

Not much point of gettin a new one if ya can't be stuffed keepin your cubes clean.

Latest posts

Back