Motorised Ball Valves - Where To Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Howdy all

Has anyone ever bought these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorized-ball-val...=item3f1c4d71c0

They don't have a manual override though....

Is a manual override really necessary? I was thinking of have a separate manual switch system anyway rather than just relying on the BrewTroller to do everything automatically - so I can still do some stuff myself....

And is it worth spending the extra $35USD and getting something from these guys:

http://www.oscsys.com/store/product/294

Thoughts?

Cheers
Hunt

Howdy all

Is a manual override really necessary? I was thinking of have a separate manual switch system anyway rather than just relying on the BrewTroller to do everything automatically - so I can still do some stuff myself....

And is it worth spending the extra $35USD and getting something from these guys:

Thoughts?

Cheers
Hunt

My thoughts are, if it is for a brewery then go the stainless one.
By the looks of it the Chinese one is brass.

Cheers

Yeah. I thought about that. Stainless would be a big selling point. But when you want 8 valves - prices start to get a bit ridiculous haha

Yeah. I thought about that. Stainless would be a big selling point. But when you want 8 valves - prices start to get a bit ridiculous haha

Is the rest of your rig stainless? If you have brass fittings elsewhere, then not much point spending the extra on stainless. If you have stainless everwhere else, do you really want to ruin it by cheaping out on the valves?

I haven't got the rest of the rig sorted yet. I'm only starting to get components. I've made the frame - that's about it as far as building it haha.

I was probably going to either use stainless or copper for some of the hard pipes. But I think I'll be using silicone hoses with camlocks and move them around rather than having it all hard pipe.

How would brass 'ruin' it? Do you just mean aesthetically?

Howdy all

Thoughts?

Cheers
Hunt

Why put in auto valves if you want to run things in manual? Just put in manual valves and have a simpler setup.

If you must have manual over ride, you will need to wire in a manual switch based on the switching. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to do but adds complexity and another thing to break.

Why put in auto valves if you want to run things in manual? Just put in manual valves and have a simpler setup.

If you must have manual over ride, you will need to wire in a manual switch based on the switching. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to do but adds complexity and another thing to break.

The manual side of things is just in case something happens and the valve doesn't close when it should and so I can stop it in an emergency - without shutting the whole operation down - i.e. if I'm half way through a batch and the electrics stops working, it would be nice to be able to continue the brew without too much hassle rather than just chucking it out....

Are these ball valves either fully open/fully closed? Or is there some way (i.e. by regulating voltage) that you're able to open them part way? Otherwise, what advantage do they have over a solenoids that seem to be slightly cheaper (i.e. this one is $13 and seems to have a manual gate valve to allow shut off. And it's not the cheapest on ebay either).

Are these ball valves either fully open/fully closed? Or is there some way (i.e. by regulating voltage) that you're able to open them part way? Otherwise, what advantage do they have over a solenoids that seem to be slightly cheaper (i.e. this one is $13 and seems to have a manual gate valve to allow shut off. And it's not the cheapest on ebay either).

Diaphram type valves (like the one you linked) require a minimum line pressure to operate, so are only suitable in applications where the liquid is always under pressure (such as a mains supply).

A motorised valve can be partially opened or closed by only applying current for a small period of time (eg. If it takes 5 seconds to open, then applying current for 2.5secs will half open it). this is generally best done in conjunction with a flow meter, so instead of trying to open the valve to 50%, you open the valve until you get the desired flow rate.

I have the 'second link' ones you posted, got 6 of them from china for $207USD

they are awesome, really simple and easy to use, as mentioned you still need a manual valve to regulate flow and they take a few seconds to close/open, but im an uber geek and love sitting on my computer clicking buttons

goodluck

A motorised valve can be partially opened or closed by only applying current for a small period of time (eg. If it takes 5 seconds to open, then applying current for 2.5secs will half open it). this is generally best done in conjunction with a flow meter, so instead of trying to open the valve to 50%, you open the valve until you get the desired flow rate.

Ahh, thanks for that, makes a lot of sense. I assumed that they opened in a fraction of a second, but if you can control the flow, they're certainly worth it.

I am wondering why you don't think to buy a motorized ball valve with modulated or stepped open/close actuator,because standard motorized ball valves are of fully open or closed,if you force it to be not fully opened or closed situation,the valves maybe damaged or the working performance maybe affected a lot.

If you want to know more info about modulated or stepped open/close motorized ball valves,you could contact me [email protected] for the details.

Back