Most Expensive Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Adams' Utopias reportedly ran for US$100/bottle, but it was a massive 25% alcohol and came in a special copper container that looked like a big commercial fermenter.

HI

I have had a taste of the Utopia. My notes say "Sweet aroma and taste. Very heavy body, syrupy. Nutty aftertaste and alcohol warming prominent. Very similar to a tokay or muscat."

Nice enough, but very close to fortified wines. Its not something that I would go and buy a bottle of at that price.

Cheers
Pedro

that is exciting news - i wonder if it'll turn up at camperdown cellars for $30 a bottle instead?

Ain't no way I'd pay US$142 for a single bottle of beer. Don't know about the rest of you, but, I got better things to do with money. (like....)

The most I've paid for a beer was $14 for a 330ml bottle of rochefort 10 (worth every penny), I have also paid $20 for a 750ml bottle of chimay blue.

People were outraged at those prices when I told them, until they put it into perspective against a good wine.

barfridge said:
The most I've paid for a beer was $14 for a 330ml bottle of rochefort 10 (worth every penny), I have also paid $20 for a 750ml bottle of chimay blue.

People were outraged at those prices when I told them, until they put it into perspective against a good wine.
[post="46413"][/post]​

Yeah, $19.99 for 750mL of Chimay Blue, comes complete with cork.
I think it was $17.99 for 750mL Duvel, also with cork, though it may have been $13.99 or $14.99, can't remember exactly.
Those Utopias seem a touch overpriced... I know that they probably take years to make from the highest quality ingredients, but really, who are we all fooling??

I know I'm going to step on someone's toes here, but I think a lot of English ales are ridiculously overpriced here. I know it's basically shipping/taxes, but $7-$10 for a 500mL bottle is an absolute joke... I make a CARTON of all-grain English ale for that price, and it tastes as good, usually much better.

My two local pubs in South Perth, the Como and the Windsor are now selling pints for more than 8 bucks :angry:
I make beer for the love of making beer, and would still do it if beer was cheap. Seeing prices heading north like that makes me even happier to be a homebrewer :) 8 bucks, thats 8 litres!

mikem108 said:
Apparently the Deus brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels
Is the most expensive beer you can buy in Sydney at the Belgian Beer Cafe.
SOmething like $65 / bottle

I have seen this for $50 at one of my fave bottleshops and am putting my money away for it (special occasion).

Seth :beer:

Most I've paid is 20 euros for a 250ml bottle of 1997 Rodenbach Alexander.

Paid 15 for a 330ml? 1999 Westvletern 6 (red cap) too.

Both worth the money, and actually very cheap considering the beers. You'll pay at least 50% more in some other bars. My next Belgium trip will be a little more indulgant ;)

Paid $15 a glass many time back in Perth for Rochefort 10. $20 a few times for a 750ml Chimay Blue.

Most I've paid for a beer in London was 7.50, for Cantillon Iris (750ml). 5 a few times for a 330ml bottle of Westvletern 12 too.

Paid $17 last year for a long neck of Mountain Goats Old Surefoot Stout. To numb the pain I told myself it was just like buying a decent bottle of wine. It was nice though. Maybe not $17 nice but a good cause none the less.

The wierd thing was they only released 170 bottles so the stickers / labels must have cost $5 each based on a run as small as this. ??? Seemed a very small run. Maybe they couldn't help themselves and drank the rest during the year of cellaring??.

$55 bucks for a 1.5L bottle of chimay grand reserve, 2000 vintage i think. worth every cent :)

thehipone said:
Sam Adams' Utopias reportedly ran for US$100/bottle, but it was a massive 25% alcohol and came in a special copper container that looked like a big commercial fermenter.

Funny you should mention that!

http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/shop/index...a76e49c3e87a6dd

I wonder if its worth picking up a bottle.

The ratings of it dont sound like the cost is justified. Though the bottle is very cool ;) 60 quid is a bit though :unsure:

when i lived in Hong Kong, 1 VB stubby was 12-14 aussie dollars. all the british yuppies drink it thinking its classy imported beer.

And all the 'cool cats' here drink Corona thinking it's a classy import.
It's called MTV syndrome... the public don't have the initiative to decide what they like, so big companies tell them.

Bought 17 beers for 40 quid ($100AU) on Friday:

Rogue Brutal Bitter
Rogue Honey Cream Ale
Rogue Shakespear Stout
Rogue Mocha Porter
Rogue American Amber
Sierra Nevada Wheat
Sierra Nevada Porter
Sierra Nevada Stout
Anchor Our Special Ale
Victory Hop Devil IPA
Victory Golden Monkey
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Bon Secours Framboise
Timmermans Gueuze
Timmermans Caveau Gueuze
Fraoch Heather Ale
Schlosser Alt

I suppose its not too bad really, less than $6 a beer. They're not everyday ones over here either.

*******. And I guess that was about an hours pay at London rates. *******. Mind you that would have been a bitch of a trip home on the tube! I just paid $8 for a bottle of Fullers 1845, which is probably on tap at your corner pub.

Thats a nice little pickup there kook. If they have any Rogue Imperial Stout or Victory Storm King, those are worth grabbing too.

The issue I have with English beers in Australia is that it seems that they are all in clear glass bottles. No way I'm gambling $8-10 on a 500 mL bottle that may be horridly lightstruck.

captain_booze said:
when i lived in Hong Kong, 1 VB stubby was 12-14 aussie dollars. all the british yuppies drink it thinking its classy imported beer.
[post="47167"][/post]​

LOL! :lol:

Man! Don't tell them about blue chesty bonds. :blink:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back