Most Expensive Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kook said:
beersom said:
I recently made on offer on a 1974 Thomas Hardy Ale .......... $$$??? will let know if offer is accepted.
[post="67249"][/post]​

$$$?

I hope you only mean $$. I wouldnt pay hundreds, it's simply not worth it.

You can get 70's bottles from reputable ebay sources over here for around 10 plus post. Look for birkonian on ebay.co.uk for good quality bottles. I'm sure he'll ship to aus too. He has some auctions open at the moment as well.

I picked up:

72 Courage Imperial Stout - 4.21
81 Thomas Hardy's - 11?
90 Thomas Hardy's - 12.50?
90 Chimay Blue - 8?

I cant remember specific prices on those three but I'm sure those are close.
[post="67256"][/post]​
The Courage is very good value at that price - a terrific beer (except the last one brewed - 83 I think it was, which was a big disappointment).

Personally, I don't think Thomas Hardy's is worth 11c. Bloody awful stuff with good marketing on the label.

Tanner's Jack from Morland in England.
Presumably you mean from Greene King (unless it's frighteningly old). GK shut Morlands several years ago.

kook said:
beersom said:
I recently made on offer on a 1974 Thomas Hardy Ale .......... $$$??? will let know if offer is accepted.
[post="67249"][/post]​

$$$?

I hope you only mean $$. I wouldnt pay hundreds, it's simply not worth it.

You can get 70's bottles from reputable ebay sources over here for around 10 plus post. Look for birkonian on ebay.co.uk for good quality bottles. I'm sure he'll ship to aus too. He has some auctions open at the moment as well.

I picked up:

72 Courage Imperial Stout - 4.21
81 Thomas Hardy's - 11?
90 Thomas Hardy's - 12.50?
90 Chimay Blue - 8?

Don't worry its not too much... I am not really keen on the ebay option as they have to ship a looong way and I don't get to do a bottle inspection. whereas this one is right here and has been well cellared here for the last 29 - 30 years.

How was the 90' chimay? The oldest I have had it was 8 years and found it delightful.

Sean said:
Tanner's Jack from Morland in England.
Presumably you mean from Greene King (unless it's frighteningly old). GK shut Morlands several years ago.
[post="67259"][/post]​

too troo, still using the Morland's name on the label tho

s2

Sean said:
The Courage is very good value at that price - a terrific beer (except the last one brewed - 83 I think it was, which was a big disappointment).

I had the 83 this year and it was GREAT, though obviously things get a bit variable with 20 year-old beer. I thought they last brewed it in 93 though, which could explain the difference...

Gee, you guys are lucky, try getting decent imported beer in wollongong. Its pretty hard. Boddingtons i can get, and old speckled hen, but any other english ales are hard to find. I had tetleys on tap down in melbourne and wasimpressed, but i've never seen it here. Im hangin for an excuse to go to sydney, so i can drop in at Dan murphy's at hurstville, and see if its any good ( i've been told it has some english ales ). German beers would be good too.

beersom said:
How was the 90' chimay? The oldest I have had it was 8 years and found it delightful.
[post="67271"][/post]​

Haven't tried it yet, I'm saving it for the RateBeer "European Summer Gathering" next month in Copenhagen.

Malnourished said:
Sean said:

I had the 83 this year and it was GREAT, though obviously things get a bit variable with 20 year-old beer. I thought they last brewed it in 93 though, which could explain the difference...
[post="67282"][/post]​
Sorry - '93 is what I meant. The ones in the eighties were excellent.

Lufah said:
I haven't ever tried it. I looked through my BYOs and can't find that one. If I come up with it I'll post their recipe. Take a look at this tho...

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/methode_champenoise/

Travis
[post="67250"][/post]​

BYO May-June 2004 has an article and recipe for Deus (Brut des Flandres).

Shall I transcribe the recipe, or does someone have an optical code scanner and the same issue? Anyone?

Sssssuper!

Seth out, after a long brew day (pm Dunkelweizen) .

Haven't tired to brew it, but Zymurgy did an article on the Maltose Falcons champagne brew a couple of issues back. Don't know if I have the patience for it.

Doc

So did anyone post a recipe of this beer anywhere?

Big D

I ended up trying Deus late last year actually. Took a bottle along to GBBF (I think Ross may have tried it too?).

To be honest, didn't enjoy it that much. Over the top esters and peppers, with loads of unbalanced hot alcohol. Thankfully only paid 15 euros for it.

Also tried Utopias whilst in Denmark. Flat, syrupy liquer with not much resemblance to "beer". Quite tasty though.

Most I've payed for a beer now was 50 euros, for Bush Prestige at Delerium. And I couldn't finish it! Once again too much hot, over the top alcohol.

Has anybody tried to brew using the "methode champenoise" ?

I'd be interested to know the results.
I attempted to disgorge a bottle of cider, with fairly disastrous results. I thought I could get away with just using ice and heaps of rock salt to freeze the yeast, but it didn't work all that well. Plus I don't think I primed it enough - the amount of yeast I had in the bottle didn't really seem like enough to form much of a plug.

My conclusion was that if I were to do it again, I'd have to go the whole hog a la the Falcons, so obviously it's on the backburner now. :)

BigD - the recipes are in the link provided.

As for Deus - ewwww. I like Tim Webb's description (paraphrased): "blonde ale aged in an eau de cologne barrel"

I think the RedOak Special Grand Reserve would have to be up there with most expensive beer @ $15 for 50ml

I haven't tried it...................................yet.

I was going to let them keep there 50ml, and I would keep my $15 but after reading some of the tasting notes from the Qld guys who had it (Ross I think?), I'm keen to give it a try.

Recently the most expensive that I've had too much of (and one of the tastiest) is the Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, $9.90 for 330ml.
Worth every penny.
Anybody else tried this freeze distilled beauty.

Recently the most expensive that I've had too much of (and one of the tastiest) is the Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, $9.90 for 330ml.
Worth every penny.

Yep, damn fine beer. Well worth the dosh in my opinion :)

Shawn.

Worth every penny.

Argggggggghhhhhh. Dammit stop my drooling!

One of the most incredible beers I have ever tasted. Dont be afraid to try the other guy with the purple label, the Aventinus weizen dopplebock - it is also an excellent drop.

And thanks for the reminder - its about time I re-sampled, or drink a lot of, this brew with a view to making my own.

Happy brewing,

Keith

I'm pretty sure I have a bottle of the Eisbock and Aventinus in the fridge at home :p
Drool Keith drool :p
Both are exceptional beers IMO.

Doc

While we're waxing Schneider lyrical. I'll throw in my vote for Schneider Edel-Weiss. That's a particularly stunning drop too. :)

A big Weizen at 6.2%. :beerbang:

Warren -

Must be a wheat beer thing.

The pint of Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel I tried in Hahndorf recently set me back $12.75!

Worth it though :chug:

C&B
TDA

Back