More Beer Us Bulk Buy - Combining Freight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamvw

Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking at buying some items I can't get in Australia from morebeer.com
I should have done so when the dollar was almost even mid last year. Anyway I'm still thinking about it as the dollar slowly creeps back up.
Freight is an issue, but if a few combined together then we could cut freight costs right down, esp if you were only after a few small items.
Not quite sure how to run this yet, we would have to compile a list of who wants what, someone would have to place the order and us all pay them, then when arrived sort out the breakdown of the freight. Messy but not that hard if all had similar sized/weighted stuff.
I am in Sydney and would be happy to organise.
If some in other states interested then would be better for them to organise themselves, its all about saving freight!

Only a consideration so far, but if any others in Sydney are considering let me know.
Maybe we could compile a list of who is interested and wait it out for a bit and watch the dollar, when it goes up then place the order.

Adam

Hi, I have been looking at buying some items I can't get in Australia from morebeer.com
I should have done so when the dollar was almost even mid last year. Anyway I'm still thinking about it as the dollar slowly creeps back up.
Freight is an issue, but if a few combined together then we could cut freight costs right down, esp if you were only after a few small items.
Not quite sure how to run this yet, we would have to compile a list of who wants what, someone would have to place the order and us all pay them, then when arrived sort out the breakdown of the freight. Messy but not that hard if all had similar sized/weighted stuff.
I am in Sydney and would be happy to organise.
If some in other states interested then would be better for them to organise themselves, its all about saving freight!

Only a consideration so far, but if any others in Sydney are considering let me know.
Maybe we could compile a list of who is interested and wait it out for a bit and watch the dollar, when it goes up then place the order.

Adam

What items are you thinking about that arent available in Australia?? Freight is the Monster killer hey, I looked at getting some small things and it was going to cost $130? to get it delivered.. :unsure:

:icon_cheers: CB

Yep, you'll get hit with GST once you get to a reasonable dollar value (about +$200).

I think the value has to exceed AUD1000. Might be wrong here but this number rings a bell.

RM

Yes, $1,000 is my understanding too.

I guess you might need to factor in the cost of a licenced customs broker as well.

Yep, I buy a lot of wholesale for my business from overseas, and once your merch value (not including any freight charges) exceeds $1000AUD you get hit with customs duty and GST.

More info here.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Another tip, try not to get too close to $1000aud merch - the AUD/USD isn't exactly stable at the moment, and a small variation can easily add $50 or so.

To get a better idea how much it will cost on order day, look at the exchange rate the RBA has set after 4pm at http://www.rba.gov.au, and add 2.5% to the order total to take care of your banks currency conversion fee (not all banks will have this exact fee, but all of mine are. I suggest you check your own).

Hey all, thanks very much.
Think it sounds like too much trouble and if we get hit by customs and GST then would cover all benefits.
Sounds like I might get thru Craftbrewer instead!

Adam

I've done largish orders with B3 in the past, the items arrived labelled "cooking equipment" with a value of $100.

They did also include the invoice for considerably more inside the package though, so YMMV.

Ive been looking at getting their counter pressure bottle filler for a while but has been listed as out of stock. If they get it in & you go ahead with this, it might work out.

Interesting, this must have changed some time in the last few years.

I've been hit with GST on imported items before, and they were worth a lot less than $1000 i'm sure.

Yeah it changed a few years ago now. I can't remember exactly what the limits were, but there were two of them. I can't remember exactly what the conditions were, but the cases were something like either the item was received via post (ie all the customs/import papers etc organized by the carrier) or if it arrived on a cargo ship where you have to get your own brokers involved and organize pick up from the docks yourself etc. It confused me at the time and I got stung when I thought I wouldn't have.I think the limits were about $500 (by post) and $1000 (the other one) or something - at any rate, it changed a little while ago, and I've taken advantage of it ever since :p

I think the limits were about $500 (by post)

This sounds more like it. I remember ordering a bunch of mountain bike parts from the USA about 6 or so years ago, and getting hit with GST on it. It certainly wasn't $1000 worth, but it could've been close to $500.

Back