Moo Brew in Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the looks of things, I don't think I'm going to be sober all week.
The wife's frowning already.................................. :beerbang:

I like the Moo Brew beers and I had a good chat with one of the brewers who gave me a taste of a few things they were working on. Well worth a visit. I have had hot and cold experiences at Seven Sheds, found the owner Willie Simpson to be very stand offish and the quality control of his beers to be very variable.

manticle said:
I loved the SS set-up but wasn't a fan of a few of their beers. Yeasty aftertaste and maybe a hint of oxidation (bought fresh from the brewery).

Pretty sure David Walsh (MONA) is passionate about beer and brewing. The bar stocks a heck of a lot of other good beer besides Moo. Pretty great set-up all around (gallery is world class too)
Mona gallery world class?? It’s a fabulous space but some of the contents within vary from offensive to just fucked up. I find it a bit like music when the writer has nothing intelligent or interesting to say, so they just fill the song with swearing. Well much of Mona is like this in my not so humble opinion. Don’t know what to paint today, ah well never mind just paint wall full of vaginas and call it art.

Cheers
Chris

Whatever your opinion of it, MONA is unique, confronting, and IMHO, bloody brilliant. Not sure what the current exhibition is but the Wim Delvoye was just crazy!

Lots of beers & a wall full of vagina art.
Bloody hell, I can't wait to get there.........................Shit, here comes SWMBO.

I think the great wall of vagina is down at the moment........or it was a few weeks ago. As a person who appreciates art promoted through an auditory theme that involves a lot of distorted guitars and also hates architects with a passion, I've gotta say I like MONA a bit, very interesting building if nothing else (that is soooo hard for me to say). Bored? Well, I just go back to the bar downstairs, get a nip of Nant port barrel and get my art back on. Bar staff know their repeat customers too which is always a plus in my books.

TasChris said:
I like the Moo Brew beers and I had a good chat with one of the brewers who gave me a taste of a few things they were working on. Well worth a visit. I have had hot and cold experiences at Seven Sheds, found the owner Willie Simpson to be very stand offish and the quality control of his beers to be very variable.

Mona gallery world class?? It’s a fabulous space but some of the contents within vary from offensive to just fucked up. I find it a bit like music when the writer has nothing intelligent or interesting to say, so they just fill the song with swearing. Well much of Mona is like this in my not so humble opinion. Don’t know what to paint today, ah well never mind just paint wall full of vaginas and call it art.

Cheers
Chris
I'm talking at least as much about the physical set-up as the content.

Art has often been offensive in some aspect or another and the part about MONA/Walsh that I like is that they make no apology nor attempt to sanitise it. I work at the National Gallery of Victoria and their engagement with contemporary art has been lacklustre for years (fortunately changing at the moment with a new director).

However it's the exhibition design of MONA that I particularly admire - no stupid big plinths, labels or otherwise useless, extraneous rubbish that show the influence of bad aesthetic driven by ego.

Besides collection wise there's plenty on show that has nothing to do with cock/vag, tits or scat and the vag wall was cast, not painted.

OT

I agree with the comments about seven sheds. Some good beers, can be a bit hit and miss, but generally pretty good. Having met Willie Simpson a few times I have found him to be a bit rude, almost to the point of telling him to stick his beers up his @#£*%. He doesn't sell wholesale, so the cheapest place to buy beer is from him directly.
Also check out the Morrison beers while your down here. Have a look at the Facebook page. It will tell you where it is on tap.
You also have 2m tall, but I haven't tried any yet, so can't say if they are good or not.
Iron house brewery is OK. Tried a few of their beers at beer fest, and quite enjoyed them.
If you get up to the north west coast, I normally have 3 beers on tap that you are welcome to come and sample.
Cheers LagerBomb.

LagerBomb said:
I agree with the comments about seven sheds. Some good beers, can be a bit hit and miss, but generally pretty good. Having met Willie Simpson a few times I have found him to be a bit rude, almost to the point of telling him to stick his beers up his @#£*%. He doesn't sell wholesale, so the cheapest place to buy beer is from him directly.
Also check out the Morrison beers while your down here. Have a look at the Facebook page. It will tell you where it is on tap.
You also have 2m tall, but I haven't tried any yet, so can't say if they are good or not.
Iron house brewery is OK. Tried a few of their beers at beer fest, and quite enjoyed them.
If you get up to the north west coast, I normally have 3 beers on tap that you are welcome to come and sample.
Cheers LagerBomb.
I might not bother with seven sheds. I couldn't be bothered having a chat with Homer Willie Simpson if he's a bit arrogant.
I'll see how I'm going for time & I'll leave him till last if time permits.
Thanks for the beer offer, I'll certainly try to catch up with you if I can.

If you have a spare 20-30$ (can't remember the exact price), try the moo extra special stout. I got a bottle for Christmas, and that stuff is amazing. And I agree some of the stuff in the museum is a bit off putting, but that is part of the experience. Even if you just go there to see the architecture and have a beer on the lawn it is an afternoon well spent.

Also, if you like something a bit stronger, try sullivans cove whiskey! Best in southern hemisphere apparently.

LagerBomb said:
Cheers LagerBomb.
I found Mrs Willie very nice when she gave us a tour last year. We got a mixed dozen sent back to Canberra. It was a bit hit an miss but not too bad, really.

My main beef was their reaction to my feedback on the gusher mead that I got in the mixed dozen. It was sold as still and came out champagne sparkling. I lost half of it through gushing.. When I gave them the feedback I was told that I must have left it in the sun...apparently the sun introduces unfermented sugars to meads. The things you learn.

Really shits me when small breweries such as these guys (and Red Oak as another example) have such a militant defence and dismissal on honest feedback. Most guys giving feedback aren't necessarily seeking a few beer out of it...just taking the feedback on board and saying thanks would be nice!

rest_assured said:
Also, if you like something a bit stronger, try sullivans cove whiskey! Best in southern hemisphere apparently.
I'd rate anything from The Nant head and shoulders above sullivans cove if you're chasing whiskey while down here. That stuff is freakin' nectar.

jlm said:
I'd rate anything from The Nant head and shoulders above sullivans cove if you're chasing whiskey while down here. That stuff is freakin' nectar.
I can't agree more. Nant is amazing stuff. If you can make it up there for a tasting and a look around the distillery and old water mill you won't regret it.

DU99 said:
Artscentre..facilites :icon_offtopic: if you get to burnie try this place and the cheese factory next door.
:icon_offtopic: Never done the tour, but we used to buy the used whiskey barrels from them for $80. There was always 1 - 2 litres of whiskey left in them. Good Value when you see the price of their whiskey.

I Like Moo Brews Plastic Cups that you find around the place.....Moo Brew on one side....Not for Bogans on the other! LOL

I enjoy the moo brew range, Hef especially, but for over $100 a carton cant justify the price.
Try the Van Dieman range, white ale is great in summer.
I found Willie of seven sheds very friendly, kentish ale and willie warmer are my favs.
in hobart head to preachers bar, top little bar with good beers on tap rotating.

Tassie has a couple of top-notch distilleries now.
Nant and Sullivans Cover are the standouts I reckon.
But at around $250 for 500ml of the cheapest variant of Nant, there are better things for less money.

Back