Modified Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therook

Reaction score
I have been reading about doing Protein Rests and the general concensus is you dont need to do them with todays malts as they are highly modified,

my question is how do you know if they are highly modified? do you go by the specs if so what do i look for?

I'm using BB and Wyermann malts

Thanks team

Rook

i don't bother unless I use MO or adjuncts.

Here is a response from Wes i received earlier and his permission to post it.

Lets start by saying ALL modern malts are well modified and a should not need a protein rest. There have been exceptions though, but not necessarily due to "low modification". Take some batches of Powells malt which consistently threw a hazy result. These malts benefited from a protein rest because they were not well malted (as against well modified) and had parts of the individual grains with unmodified starch present. Not the norm and not something you will see from BBM, JW or IMC and certainly not from the imported malts.

To determine if a malt is well modified you need to see the Certificate of Analysis (C of A) from the maltster and look for the Kolbach Index of Modification AND the protein level. Weyermann use a different index called Hartong. The key point here though, is you need to look at BOTH the modification level and the protein level. In a bad growing season where the protein levels cab be higher, then the levels of modification will also need to be higher. There is unfortunately no quick and easy reference - in the end you need to put your faith in the maltster and their quality controls. Getting hold of relevant C of A's for each delivery of malt is not impossible but many retail outlets dont bother and neither do many micro's! BBM dont have any info on their website but Weyermann do. Have a look at the specs for the 2007 crop but note this is the range of parameters as against the actual analysis of a particular batch. From experience Weyermann never deviate from the specs:

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?i...7&sprache=2

Click on the 2 pdf files at the bottom of the page for more info than you probably need!

Good luck,

Wes

My main reason for re-introducing a protein rest was firstly Zwickel's very informative blog on the benefits. Made for great reading.

Here?

Secondly I was getting several batches of No Chill beer that were displaying a rather annoying haze that took a lot of time to remove. Since adding a protein rest to my brewing I've noticed some really amazing clarity. What I'd probably call a more stable head on the beer and slightly higher efficiency (not really a big deal) and higher attenuation.

All that being said perfectly good beers can be made skipping this step but I find it doesn't really add any extra time to the brewday. B)

Warren -

Interesting, Warren. Which malts? And what was your step schedule? Temps? I have only really done single infusions (along with some cereal mashes <_< ) but maybe I should try change. :(

oh Jeez Stuster, you haven't lived until you've step mashed!

There is an old expression "Steely Tips" when malt is being made the tip is the last part to have the protein structures broken down so it remains hard.

Chew a bit of malt, if it's crunchy its well modified, if it feels like you have a mouth full of ball bearings, then the malt is under-modified.
I know it's not a definitive test but its a good indicator.

In the last 5 years or so I only recall 1 bag of malt that had steely tips; it was a bag of English Crystal.

MHB

Interesting, Warren. Which malts? And what was your step schedule? Temps? I have only really done single infusions (along with some cereal mashes <_< ) but maybe I should try change. :(

Hey Stuster

Only done thus far with BB Malts (Pale & Ale). I mash in at 55 degrees with a LG ratio of 1.5 litres per kg and rest for 20 minutes. Then I infuse up with 90 degree water to the sacc rest for 60 minutes. LG ratio winds up around 3/1.

The 1.5-1 dough in gives the wrists a bit of a workout :lol: but is not too bad.

Give it a go if for no other reason than to make comparisons with similar recipes done with a single temp rest. ;)

I suppose on the upside it gets you into a "force of habit" mentality when doing things like Wheat Beers and Stouts with large flaked barley loads etc. Doesn't seem so daunting doing multi-temp mashes when it becomes your standard operating procedure.

Edit: To stave of a bunch of flamers (which I feel aren't far away nudge-nudge). Single temp rests are fine and I survived on them for years making great beer.

Warren -

i like wheat beers Stuster, so I couldn't live this enjoyable life without step mashing :)

FU Warren ;) I'm doing a single 65C rest beer now :p

I do a 54C rest with all of my mashes, it increases the amount of FAN and long chain proteins which aid head retention. Even in well modified malts this can be beneficial, though not necessary.

Secondly I was getting several batches of No Chill beer that were displaying a rather annoying haze that took a lot of time to remove. Since adding a protein rest to my brewing I've noticed some really amazing clarity. What I'd probably call a more stable head on the beer and slightly higher efficiency (not really a big deal) and higher attenuation.

Warren -

Warren

Sure it wasn't just chill haze and by doing the protein rest you just decreased the quantity of haze proteins which would have been removed by chilling the wort anyway?

I always protein rest my wheats,just habit.Especially with cheaper grain,tho my notes tend to disagree with me.

But with ales.I'll quite happily single mash @ 65 c with great results,I've always used 1056,but got an ale brewing atm @ 14 c using nottingham(first time user).

I have in the past used cheaper malts(and still do),so stepped mash as a way of increasing efficiency.

I'm just doing a taste test at present, with different base malts,and the difference $48 per 25kg as opposed $80 per 25kg.

All I'll say is,IMHO,powells ale malt makes just a good beer,that other more expensive brands make.

I use weyermann for all brews these days,but would be happy using powells again.

Hey Warren,

Take the flame suit off. I suspect you had been mashing too hot to start with. Theoretically, 55C should reduce your head retention. I would go for mash temp of about 63 and do all you are doing (or report to have been) in the one step.

Are you under-letting or dropping the grain in on top of the hot mash water??

cheers

Darren

Back