Mlt & Kettle Size Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HKS

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

Just getting suggestions for AG gear.

Just wondering from those that do double batches of around 50L, or even those making regular size batches, what size do you suggest for an MLT, was thinking of either the 36L Keep Cold or the 57L Keep Cold. Do I need the bigger one for batch sparging or will the 36L be sufficient for around a possible 12kg grain bill?

Same question in regards to the kettle. Was looking at the Robinox 70L, but I'm not sure if the capacity is large enough? I see the brew boy setup uses a 70L to make they say 50-60L of wort. But I thought you would need about 70L of water to account for boil off etc and boil over would be a problem? The next size up the 98L is another $100 (as the Mrs raises an eyebrow about costs running out of control <_< )

I want stainless so no suggestions about getting aluminium, cheers :p

So can I get away with the 36L Keep Cold and the 70L Robinox to make 50L of wort or any other suggestions on similar gear? Anyone got a brewboy here?

Cheers

Just wondering from those that do double batches of around 50L, or even those making regular size batches, what size do you suggest for an MLT, was thinking of either the 36L Keep Cold or the 57L Keep Cold. Do I need the bigger one for batch sparging or will the 36L be sufficient for around a possible 12kg grain bill?

Hey HKS,

I use a 36Ltr KeepCold, and can squeeze up to 10kg grain in it, at about 2.5Ltr per kg. That is the max it can take without overflowing.
So I'd probably recommend the larger size if you intend on doing 50Ltr batches regularly.

I typically do double-batch brews (9-10kg malt), but this limits me to around 5%ABV brews, so higher gravity double-batches are basically out of the question.
The 57Ltr would be awesome!

Dunno about the MLT, but for the kettle I had my keg kettle cut in half and an extra 16cm wide band welded in, have not suffered a boil over since! Kettle now fits about 70 litres in no problems!

[edit - add picture]

myrimsm.jpg

Yo FJ how do you go brewing inside with condensation when boiling? Im considering it...get hot in summer?

nice set up fraser. I love it when HBs have computers setup next to their brew rigs. its proves the point that Hbing isnt old grandfathers brewing horrible tasting crap out in their back sheds. now a days its technology assisted production bordering on brewery standards.

as for the sizes, go for bigger if your doing larger batches regularly other eise dont worry about it. Im personaly just going with standard keg sizing cause I doubt i'll be doing double batches

I'd go the bigger size mashtun :)

With the Brewboy, a 50 litre mashtun has a maximum grist capacity of around 15-16kg of grain at around 2-2.5 litres water/kg. I usually use around 12kg for a 50 litre batch, which is about 3/4 full.
I start with 70 litres of water in the kettle (to the brim), and there is around 10 litres of extra water added in after dough in which roughly adds up to a preboil volume of around 60-65 litres (I boil quietly until it evaporates off a little), with 15% evaporation down to 55 litres post boil, cooling shrinkage takes it down to about 52 into the fermenter and I lose around 2-3 litres to trub in the fermenter. Of course it doesn't always happen according to the numbers, sometimes I miss the volume by a few litres under - but I'm getting better at hitting the mark now I've stopped making changes to the brewery and eliminated as many of the areas of loss as I could.
I'm actually replacing the 70 litre with a 98 litre myself shortly, not necessarily because I want to make more, but that I wouldn't mind a little more room to breathe with the boils, because as it is the first 20 minutes of the boil is a little nervous.
Hope that helps, just tell your wife that the upsizes will be a better investment - if you're going to spend the money already, go bigger. It's hard to add capacity to a vessel after purchase :)

Hey Fraser - I love all your tea cosy's :lol:

Heya,

i'd say go bigger if you want to brew 50L+ batches.

my last 2 batches have been 40L into Primary and that seems about all my system can push out.

Currently I've got:

38L Rubbermaid Mash Tun ( 9kg Grain / 27L Water = 36L, so it's pretty full with a false bottom)
50L HLT (i have to top this up after i have done my dough in but it heats up to temp by the time i need to sparge)
60L Kettle.

Hope this helps Rob.

Fents...

Get hot? Hell Yes!! Like brewing in a furnace. I have two of those cheap square box fans from Bunnings, one I hang in the window blowing air in across the kettle, the other I hang in the open doorway, blowing out. Creates a nice cross breeze, but still gets pretty darn hot!

But, having everything right next to each other is handy and worth it. The picture does not show it but I now have water lines and filter all hooked up next to the counter flow chiller.

Domonsura
Lovely aint they? Missus knocked em up out of a sleeping bag, keeps the light off the carboys and avoids skunky flavours :lol:

Thanks guys, I sorta figured I would need the larger sizes.

I'd go the bigger size mashtun :)

I'm actually replacing the 70 litre with a 98 litre myself shortly, not necessarily because I want to make more, but that I wouldn't mind a little more room to breathe with the boils, because as it is the first 20 minutes of the boil is a little nervous.
Hope that helps, just tell your wife that the upsizes will be a better investment - if you're going to spend the money already, go bigger. It's hard to add capacity to a vessel after purchase :)

That was my reasoning for going to the larger 98L size. I don't want to have to worry about boil overs and as I see 70L is just not quite enough and I would prefer to not stare at it constantly to avoid boil overs.

If I'm only going to start by batch sparging (regarding efficiency) should I worry about getting the 57L Keep Cold @ $188 or can I just get the 55L Esky which is a lot cheaper? Any problems by going that route instead?

Cheers

Back