Mixed Yeast Culture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtrabyte

Reaction score
What would happen in a beer if 2 varieties of yeast were added into a wort? For example Safale US56 and Saflager w34/70 and the wort was kept at 17C or Safale US56 and Safale S-04 and the wort was kept at 18C?

The yeast will both eat the wort and create their own flavour profile, which might mix together well or not, try it out and see.

Some of my best beers have been using mixed yeasts...

Not sure about using lager yeasts at high temps in a mix though, they do tend to create a bit of sulphur which can take some time to fade.

US56 and S-33 is pretty good, not sure about US56 and SO4 together but it might be OK. My favourite is US56 and White Labs 36 Alt strain, good attenuation, nice profile for APA's and most other ales and still clean up to 20C.

I mix a yeast often [but not my Belgians], with Nottingham and Wyeast Scottish being my mix of choice with darker ales at the moment, used it in my Oatmeal Stout to great effect, fermented at 17c it went from 1.066 to 1.018 and tastes great IMHO. :)

Back