Mixing yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klosey

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a Great Northern lager clone and Mixing a MJ M54 yeast which comes with the kit and adding Safelager W34/70 (Which I have in hand) to increase the yeast content and brewing at 14c. Do you think this would work?

I would not think there is a need to co-pitch, unless you have concerns regarding the viability of the yeast in which case you would be best not pitching it.

A packet of dry yeast around 11.5g or more has sufficient yeast to provide adequate pitching. If you are concerned, you can pitch warm and cool it in the fridge. Pitch at say 20c and cool to 14 using ferm control.

I don't really see the point of co-pitching in most circumstances but that's just my opinion.

Lots of brewers mix yeast, its a real thing in the craft brewing scene in Belgium, those guys will tell you anything - provided you don't ask about their yeast.
One note of caution, some lager yeasts don't get along, they coprecipitate (clump up and sink without fermenting the beer) not a problem with Ale yeast, but be just a bit careful mixing Lagers, most are OK but not all.

Mark

Thanks everyone. I ended up contacting the supplier of the Great Northern clone and he advised me it would be better not to mix the m. 54 yeast and agreed to supply a W37/40 in lieu which makes me feel far more comfortable for the way I like to ferment my lagers. Mark, just as you said I did a Belgian Strong Ale which used a combination of yeast a T58 and a S33 and it worked a treat!

Some of the Coopers kit yeasts are blends of 2-3 strains.

Given everyone says that kit yeast is the best out there...oh wait :D

But seriously, I don’t know the rationale. I have no idea how you even attempt to control the ratio of characteristics or avoid one completely dominating the other(s).

Latest posts

Back