Mistaken Identity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingodidit

Reaction score
So the story goes................

Recipe completed Sunday 21 Sept, was aiming at an improvised Pale Ale of sorts.

Coopers Cerveza Kit
1.5kg Pale Liquid Malt Extract
.5kg Light Dried Malt
.5kg Coopers Brewing Sugar
.2kg Corn Syrup
20g Chinook
20g Cascade
10g Amarillo

Decided to use a Coopers yeast I had left in the fridge from a Premium/Brewmaster kit only to discover yesterday the overwhelming aroma indicating a lager yeast :eek: either a recently completed Pilsner or Lager which I'd replaced the yeast in the kit. (Usually write LAGER on the back but obviously forgot :unsure: )

It's been sitting around 20 degrees in my cupboard until discovered last night, moved it to the concrete floor of the shed and it's down to 12 degrees this morning and it still has a good krausen so I'm 99% sure it's a lager.

Monumental stuff up I know :( what would be the best action?

Continue ferment at larger temps and cold condition etc.

Add a Safale starter and ferment at ale temps.

Any advice/flaming welcome :icon_cheers:

Not to worry.
Its gonna taste different to the original recipie, but the worst thing I can imagine happening, is that you have a strong sulphur aroma at the end of your primary ferment.
Rack this in the fridge for a couple of weeks and it should go away.
Then bottle as usual.

Just remember to keep track of what you DID do, in case you have created your own original beer masterpiece.

I didn't think that those kits came with a true lager yeast. I was of the undestanding that they all use the same yeast which is pretty much the same as s-04.

I didn't think that those kits came with a true lager yeast. I was of the undestanding that they all use the same yeast which is pretty much the same as s-04.

Pretty sure the Pilsner had instructions to ferment at lower temps will have to double check when I get home, the sulphur made me think it was.

What makes it worse is I have a couple of Safale in the fridge I was saving for this weekend, should have just bought some more.

Not to worry.
Its gonna taste different to the original recipie, but the worst thing I can imagine happening, is that you have a strong sulphur aroma at the end of your primary ferment.
Rack this in the fridge for a couple of weeks and it should go away.
Then bottle as usual.

Just remember to keep track of what you DID do, in case you have created your own original beer masterpiece.

Cheers, will do, scrap the ale starter plan and treat as a Pale Laleger. Just have to cool it during the day, major temp fluctuations here at the moment.

Got 6 Cerveza's for $5 each at Woolies the other week, do you think they will work as a good base for my move into steeping grains and hop additions?

Here in SEQ I have used Saflager s-23 a couple of times, punted on a continuing cold snap but ended up fermenting at 16 - 20 and it's turned out fine, although arguably not the results I would have got with a much colder fermentation.

Edit: Cerveza would make an excellent base kit for paler beers. I often use a Canadian for the same reasons as you can overlay it with aroma hops. Currently doing a fake Pilsener using Nottingham yeast with a Canadian, a 2kg mini mash, Carapils, LDME and overlaying it with Perle, Saaz and more Saaz ;)

The Brewmaster kits definately come with specialty yeasts. Not wyeast or anything, but GP "wheat" "ale" "lager" yeasts.
Ive used the Hoegaarden kit a couple of times with excellent results.
Just make sure you buy in a real Wit yeast, or culture up some real Hoegaarden yeast like I did. :icon_cheers:

The Brewmaster kits definately come with specialty yeasts. Not wyeast or anything, but GP "wheat" "ale" "lager" yeasts.
Ive used the Hoegaarden kit a couple of times with excellent results.
Just make sure you buy in a real Wit yeast, or culture up some real Hoegaarden yeast like I did. :icon_cheers:

Just checked the coopers website and I stand corrected. Lesson: Check google before brain. :blink:

Just checked the coopers website and I stand corrected. Lesson: Check google before brain. :blink:

also, the 514 that comes with most kits is very different to s-04. cant really compare them at all except for the fact that they are both dried ale yeasts.

I can vouch for the yeast in the Thomas Coopers Pilsener ( the top of the line one ) working at low temps. I just completed a brew with one at 14-15 deg C - too cold for the usual Coopers ale yeast. Took the best part of 3 weeks to ferment out, and a long time to start - you're Ok as yours is already started at 20 deg C.

Next time I'll culture it up to a bigger volume before pitching, I think a sungle saceht as 14 deg wasn't enough.

What you're got is almost a steam beer, ale ingredients with lager yeast, brewed at a sort of intermediate temperature.

Advice: learn the lesson and move on, I reckon it will be quite a drinkable drop. Or in about 6 weeks get all your mates over and drink it until you're all rotten.

Back