Mini Pump To Move Hot Water Not Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up Razz as I actually didn't have any idea who Penrose was. Now I can sound slightly more intelligent in my reply to Josephine!

By the way, here's the link to the other pump Josephone talked about i..e. the one that would handle up to 90degrees.

Grundfos Recirculating Pump

PP
I think the brass pump shown was a Jabsco type pump, also called a flexible impeller pump.
The Flexible impeller is made of rubber over 80C it starts to break down. Same problem with Mono pumps, tho I think you can get Silicone Rubber impellers- at a price.

MHB

razz said:
PP. If your not pullin the chain, Colin Penrose was/is one of the early movers in Aussie homebrewing circa 1985-1990, I think he was editor of a mag. Can't recall the name.
:blink:
[post="121892"][/post]​

The now-defunct Ausbeer. :(

Warren -

PistolPatch said:
I just looked at the AHB Ebay thread for the first time and noticed Tony posted this link there...

Brass Hot Water Pump

As it's $84, is an impeller pump* and has all the right stats, this looks as though it would solve all the above. Also comes with a sensor solenoid** so you just open your tap and the pump will automatically start up. Sounds pretty good to me. Any thoughts?

*I wonder if it's self-priming to some degree as this creates a few more possibilities.

**On second thoughts, pretty sure this feature would be useless in the brewery situation as I doubt gravity pressure would be enough to trigger it.

EDIT: Just noticed the item is not a BUY NOW item. Will email the seller and see if they are still available and also ask a few questions which she may be able to answer better than us!
[post="121669"][/post]​

I'd give you some advice on that pump but I can't get the link to work right now. I'll check it later and let you know if looks alright.

Cheers
Karl Koce.
Process Pumps.

Hi PP,

I've got something that might help you out. We used to sell some small March pumps for use on hot water boilers. They're a lot smaller than the 809 series pumps that most people here are familiar with.

They have a maximum flow rate of 10 L/min and push water upto 3 metres. They are driven by a 12VDC motor and can handle up to 120oC. It won't self prime though.

They are also mag-drive like the 809 and materials of construction are the same.

I've got an old one here you can have for nix if you'd like to have a play.

EDIT: There's also the Grundfos circulator pumps which can handle hot water, but you'd be looking around $200.00 for these.

Cheers
Karl Koce
Process Pumps.

Some points on the Sicce Idra. I was told that Sicce has discontinued this pump but managed to track one down at Hilltop Pets
All up was about $70 including postage (and good service). I was a little dissapointed when I saw it as I was expecting something a little beefier (you get what you pay for ).
Anyway I plumbed it up to my 3/4" hose and closed the ball valve on the outlet and connected the garden hose to 'pressure test' my efforts............ :blink:
Crack/ splash water spraying everywhere as the plastic body split !! :angry:
Lesson to self.....Low pressure pump...leak check with low pressure !!
I have used food grade silastic and cable ties to repair but I am dubious about how clean I can get it now.
I should have just bit the bullet and grabbed a March 809 (you get what you pay for).
Happy pumping.
Doug

The link that SpecialK referred to, "Brass Hot Water Pump,' does no longer work but with a little luck it has become irrelevant...

SpecialK - That is such kind offer you made re the mini March Pump and I'm sure, of all the AHB members, I am probably the least worthy as I have next to no experience in AG brewing. I do however, have an abundance of enthusiasm and love the odd experiment so I will be sending you a PM regarding your offer tomorrow when I have a few less distractions! In the meantime...

By the look of your prior posts you have always been most helpful on AHB. I know it's a little awkward for retailers posting here (especially in light of the last week where there have been an atrocious number of, what I now know, are called trolls) but I'm thinking that brewers who only need to pump hot/boiling water up to a tank (HLT), the rest being gravity-fed, would be very interested to hear what pump you would recommend as a solution. I'm uncomfortable, as Doogie (poor components) and MHB (poor impeller) have just commented, on pumps that will only just do the job or have a big proviso to their use.

So, what would you recommend for people who wanted a pump for the above? Around how much would they cost? Unfortunately, I'm not very qualified to provide you with specs but I would assume that those interested would be happy with a pump that would transfer boiling water at the rate of 10 litres/minute at 2m head (that means 2m vertically for those of you who are new to the pumping game!) without struggling?

Many thanks Karl.
PP

PistolPatch said:
The link that SpecialK referred to, "Brass Hot Water Pump,' does no longer work but with a little luck it has become irrelevant...

SpecialK - That is such kind offer you made re the mini March Pump and I'm sure, of all the AHB members, I am probably the least worthy as I have next to no experience in AG brewing. I do however, have an abundance of enthusiasm and love the odd experiment so I will be sending you a PM regarding your offer tomorrow when I have a few less distractions! In the meantime...

By the look of your prior posts you have always been most helpful on AHB. I know it's a little awkward for retailers posting here (especially in light of the last week where there have been an atrocious number of, what I now know, are called trolls) but I'm thinking that brewers who only need to pump hot/boiling water up to a tank (HLT), the rest being gravity-fed, would be very interested to hear what pump you would recommend as a solution. I'm uncomfortable, as Doogie (poor components) and MHB (poor impeller) have just commented, on pumps that will only just do the job or have a big proviso to their use.

So, what would you recommend for people who wanted a pump for the above? Around how much would they cost? Unfortunately, I'm not very qualified to provide you with specs but I would assume that those interested would be happy with a pump that would transfer boiling water at the rate of 10 litres/minute at 2m head (that means 2m vertically for those of you who are new to the pumping game!) without struggling?

Many thanks Karl.
PP
[post="122341"][/post]​

PP,

Thanks for the kind comments, I just like to assist people who may not know much about pumping theory and the like. I've got next to no experience with home brewing, but I do know about pumps and difficult applications. The reason for the offer of the free pump is two-fold.

1. It's an old pump we've had lying around and we lose nothing by having you have a play with it, and hopefully garner some goodwill from the community here.

2. This pump hasn't been used in a brewing application before, so we don't know if it will work to your satisfaction for certain.

For the application you've described above I really think the March 893-03 model pump should work well. Normally it only handles temperatures upto 87oC but March made available to us a modified version which can handle up to 120oC. We would expect pricing to be around the same as the 809 series pumps we sell to the community here (depends on the demand really).

At 2 metres verticle head the pump can be expected to deliver around 7 L/min but these specs are based on water at 20oC. Water becomes lighter and thinner as it gets hotter so I would expect a marginal increase on the flow rate specified.

The only downsides that I can see is that the pump has to be powered by a 12VDC supply with 1.0 amp current load and the brush type DC motor has a 3000 hour life. We can also sell these pumps with brush-less DC motors which have a 50,000 hour life.

For more information regarding this pump feel free to check out the following link:
http://www.marchpump.com/documents/series_893.htm

I'll have a look at your PM and get back to you.

If anyone else reading this pump please feel free to contact me so we can discuss further.

Cheers
Karl Koce
Process Pumps.

SpecialK said:
The only downsides that I can see is that the pump has to be powered by a 12VDC supply with 1.0 amp current load and the brush type DC motor has a 3000 hour life. We can also sell these pumps with brush-less DC motors which have a 50,000 hour life.

For more information regarding this pump feel free to check out the following link:
http://www.marchpump.com/documents/series_893.htm

I'll have a look at your PM and get back to you.

If anyone else reading this pump please feel free to contact me so we can discuss further.

Cheers
Karl Koce
Process Pumps.
[post="122623"][/post]​

Karl.

Super Cheap Auto have 12v (4amp) battery chargers for $15. Should be good for the job. :)

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Karl.

Super Cheap Auto have 12v (4amp) battery chargers for $15. Should be good for the job. :)

Warren -
[post="122624"][/post]​

Good point Warren, something like that would be ideal for running a small 12VDC pump like the March 893-03.

Cheers mate,

K.K.

Received a very nice PM from Karl and have just spoken to him on the phone. I explained that I wouldn't be able to give the pump a decent work-out for about 3 months but no problem so a mini March Pump is
heading my way!

Apparently these ones are about a 1/4 of the size of the normal March Pump and are used often in instantaneous hot water systems where they have proven to be extrememely reliable.

When I have a chance to play around with it, I'll post back here with the feedback. Great chatting with you Karl and many thanks again.

As for Josephine/Mike I have heard nothing further from them so I give up there.

And thanks to you too Warren for the 12V tip.

warrenlw63 said:
Karl.

Warren -
[post="122624"][/post]​

...Just be sure that the pump can handle more than 12V input. Lead-acid batteries are usually charged with a voltage of 14-16V, and I would presume a $15 charger from Supercheap Auto wouldn't have much in the way of overvoltage protection!

Another cheap option would be a surplus PC power supply, which you can pick up at a computer swap-meet for $5. These typically give several amps of regulated 12V. Not a bad option if you're happy to tinker...

Hutch.

Karl: I finally managed to reach the post office before it closed on Thursday and received the pump. After doing my first all grain brew on Wednesday I realised that my idea of using the pump in my little apartment won't work. As it may be a while before I move, I posted the pump onto Ross who I know is dying for such a pump. He's wrapped and already has 12V setup etc. He has promised to give it a thorough work out and report back here.

Once again, thanks for your generosity. Sorry I was unable to provide the trial but Ross's set-up is perfect to put the pump through the rigours of a mini home brewery.

(I tell you what, it's a nice compact bit of equipment!)

Thanks again Karl.

All the best,
PP

Back