Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine in to G&G today. We tested out my reg and it worked perfectly. Would you expect 1 bulb to run out in about 5 minutes on an empty 5lt keg? I showed the guy the pictures of the rust and explained some of the other issues that people are having on here but I didnt get much response. I was mostly talking about the reg though. Maybe I spoke to the wrong person but he said they have never heard of any issues with the regs or the kegs. Perhaps they dont sell that many? I dont think G&G do have a rep on here that I know of Zorco.

I just filled it with about 4lt of crystal clear Bo Pils to take away with us tomorrow. Ill drink some over the next few days and leave about a liter in there and see what happens. If it does go bad I can take it in and they wont be able to argue with that. If it doesnt go bad then I all good and Ill continue to use it.

Digga said:
I think that alot of the possibly effected buyers (including myself) have not yet rice tested theirs and don't know if they are in the boat yet.

I'll do mine on the weekend and see if there is another on the list.
I did the rice test before I cleaned it with vinegar and citric. I wasn't really dark but it did have a noticeable gray tinge to it. I gave it the finger test after I cleaned with Bar Kepper and my finger was clean. I gave it another wipe with metho this morning and did get a tiny bit of gray.

I am finally in a position to test my remaining kegs.
Apart from my undeniably sub-par 2L, I have filled my other 2 x 2Ls, (one with a Pale Ale, the other with an IIPA).
I also have 2 x 5L in which I have sacrificed about 1L of pale ale to each.
Now to give them the "test of time". About 4 weeks should do it. (Sigh)

I am also suspicious of a min-reg from the MkII BB - the pressure seems to ramp up slowly, not easy to control.

I have a question about these regulators.
If you have a bulb hooked up, reg set to zero, but no disconnect attached to the reg, should it behave just like a full size regulator and allow gas to hiss out when the dial is turned up? Or do they have some kind of fail-safe that stops gas from escaping too quickly & freezing the bulb? Ie does it require some backpressure.

Because ive noticed that whenever I hook them up to a half filled depressurised keg, the regulator doesn't send any gas in, meaning it won't pour beer.

All mine don't do that, the new ones I tested for a few guys sure did. They had serial numbers on the base and were consistently reliable. I think two or three bulbs went through them all great.

But mine, nor anyone's, need to do that.

When all the dust settles and Mark has had time to scratch his arse, I'll ask him about it.

I'm still wondering if Batz has been able to dismantle one.

Beerkat Pty Ltd said:
WEAL you seem to be rather invested in our business .....
On the contrary, someone could be excused for seeing the Bulk Buys 1 and 2 take off and see a business opportunity, start up a business hoping to cash in. I do sincerely hope that there will not be a problem with replacement kegs and that all the customers who made a purchase end up happy, and you can continue in your business.

Have a read through the Regulator problems thread. I posted videos of testing, showing my old ones and the new ones. I don't think I videoed the good ones cranked up to 11, but the point is clear enough.

The regulators problem (as I understand from Mark) is a known one and well supported

Did your bad reg have a bronze ish coloured serial number on the lowest layer of the body?

to be fair, my reg from the first BB is also a little weird, sits on 5 PSI not connected to a bulb but seems to dispense OK so Ive not worried about mentioning it...

mini regs in general seem to be tempromental, all the ones Ive had, about 4 different types, have been pricks of things.. this ones the best of the bunch by far though, it still works

Latest posts

Back