Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked how the white of the rice created contrast for the contaminant...

Batz said:
Yes agree, I did get a little caught up in all the hype. To be truthful I forgot about the white coloured rice juice too. Well it's been raining and my bar did open a little earlier than usual. :lol: :lol: :chug: :chug:
Work sent everyone home today. It is rare I get a Thursday lunchtime rumbo or four

Number two just prepared [emoji39]

peteru said:
The questions is, will the black film come back after being exposed to air or beer for a few weeks?
That's exactly what I'm wondering. Can I just keep cleaning this or filling it with beer until it runs clear?

Hey guys, i am looking into doing some kegging with my new Brewie.

Where is the best place to source keg stuff from?

iKegger?

mstrelan said:
That's exactly what I'm wondering. Can I just keep cleaning this or filling it with beer until it runs clear?
What is the source of the black? That is the fundamental question!

If you blokes had stout in these things, let the kegs warm up and get syrupy then rinsed them with rice juice and complain about the colour my mind will explode and I'll have to get my wife to put it back together again.

(But know that's not the case....just emphasising the missing facts here)

I can't find the MSDS for the chemical in the video I pasted about an hour ago. I want to know if the chemicals in that product have any similarities to what we use in brewing world

bradsbrew said:
The Great Rice Test of 2017.
Will be of legend, like kittens n stuff.
I'm all riced out.... and my wife is pissed off that I used all the Arborio

Zorco said:
What is the source of the black? That is the fundamental question!
Has anyone had a brand new mini keg that they had beer in for a while, perhaps several times, and it eventually developed the blackness? That would suggest that something is causing it go turn black.

For me, when I first received it I didn't really check if it was black, I just cleaned it with Sodium Perc and Star San, then filled with beer. Was fine for the first day but the second day it tasted metallic. I figured I hadn't cleaned it properly the first time. That's when I gave it a thorough cleaning and first noticed the black film. I perceived that to be the cleaning solution doing it's job. I then filled with beer (dark lager) which sat for a week or two. It was undrinkable so I tipped it out, rinsed with water and then did the rice test. I'm hoping that the rice test(s) helped to clean out the left over black film and that subsequent fills will be more successful. But I don't have any beer I want to risk at the moment. I might try Sod Perc then Star San again and see how it comes out.

peteru said:
The whole idea with using rice grains is not to produce some kind of a reaction, but to provide some mild mechanical action against the surface film and to help wear it off. the keg.

And here I was thinking it was to feed any chooks in there. :lol: :p :lol:

iWKad22.jpg

bradsbrew said:
The peteru method, could rival the Ross method of years ago.

bradsbrew said:
My mini keg has stopped bubbling. Is it ready to drink?

peteru said:
The whole idea with using rice grains is not to produce some kind of a reaction, but to provide some mild mechanical action against the surface film and to help wear it off. Rice just happens to be the most convenient thing around the house that is safe to use on food stuff, will fit inside and is about the right hardness.

You can try other things instead of rice if you like. Small lego pieces, ball bearings, bunch PET bottle tops, whatever will fit and cause some mechanical forces against the walls of the keg.
My wife dropped her iPhone in the bath once, when I googled how to fix it,it came up, put the iPhone in a ziplock bag filled with rice and leave it for a few days in a warm environment and a Chinaman will come fix it.
It actually worked.
A little off topic but rice is a good way to fix things.

Kingy said:
My wife dropped her iPhone in the bath once, when I googled how to fix it,it came up, put the iPhone in a ziplock bag filled with rice and leave it for a few days in a warm environment and a Chinaman will come fix it.
It actually worked.
A little off topic but rice is a good way to fix things.

a31b7338f4ed121738fda3d6b0ba1aba4f8b2e5cfe90163ff04e016b7bbae80b.jpg

Endoscope results!
One keg awesome one keg reasonable yet un-pickled. Both riced and come out ok.
If you have a suspect one in the Hunter Valley area I would love to have a look inside... your keg!

Pictures of the good one this post.2017-03-30 23.37.48.jpg2017-03-30 23.38.07.jpg2017-03-30 23.38.31.jpg2017-03-30 23.39.15.jpg

Somehow this keg seems it has missed out on some pickling time. The worst is where the handle is spot welded on.
Need to find a bad keg to inspect.
Personally this is now my one day only keg.

2017-03-30 23.37.19.jpg2017-03-30 23.36.34.jpg170330_195145.jpg2017-03-30 23.35.09.jpg2017-03-30 23.33.56.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-03-30 23.38.48.jpg
    2017-03-30 23.38.48.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 42
The side weld on your bad keg looks a lot like what I can make out in my keg. Black line in the middle of the seam, then shiny area and discolouration on sides of the weld.

I contemplated buying an endoscope just for this, but the cheap ones (around $20-$30) will take weeks to get here. I'm not keen on spending $70+ for a locally sourced one.

Latest posts

Back