Mini Batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowburn

Reaction score
Hi This is my first post so I think a little introduction is appropriate. My name is Ben and I live in Sydney's inner west. I brewed K&K for a year or so and made some pretty average beers. Found this site and a copy of How to Brew, did an extract Hefe followed by a partial mash ESB and I now know why my previous attempt were average (lack of knowledge and ingredients). I have unfortunately moved into an apartment and along with various other constraints Im unable to brew full size AG. Due to this and my experimental mind I plan on doing small (8-12L) batches brewing on consecutive days but altering elements of recipes to find MY ultimate brew in few different styles Sorry for the multiple questions What to use as a fermenter? I've seen various jerry cans but Im not sure if they are suitable I would like to fit 2 into my bar (fermenting) fridge (2 10L ones would fit nicely in my fridge). Also Im interested in the yeast pitching rate (using liquid yeast). Should I just halve what I have been pitching prior to this? I have been making 1-2L starters but I think this will influence the flavour in such a small batch. Would you advise letting the yeast settle in the fridge and pour off the starter wort? Can I pitch it cold? Cheers Ben

I would be looking to use something like the containers the ST Peters Fresh WOrt kits come in, they are 15lt if i recall correctly.

Just install a tap in the bung hole, and fashion up a hole for the airlock and you have yourself a great little fermentor for your 10lt batches...

For something simple, maybe even one of those 10L water bottles you can get at the store will be all right- they stack neatly on top of each other, too :) Regarding starters- I'd say you won't need very big ones; I personally rarely make starters for liquid yeast anyway due to the nutrients in the smack pack.

I use 5L demi johns for my experimental brews. Means i can also mash in a six can esky and boil in a 10L pot. Tres easy and like you said, a quick way of varying recipes to find out what you like.

I do my small batches - 7-8litres - in Decor 8.5litre storers. They're good food-safe plastic as they are designed for food storage, freezing and microwaving and have a handle and a lid that works just fine. They are a bit expensive though (about $13 from memory).

All yeast questions ever asked and several that are yet to be asked are answered at http://www.mrmalty.com or, if that doesn't do it for you, try http://www.maltosefalcons.com

My LHBS has small 1/2 batch fermenters, check out your local.

For calculating liquid yeast starter and pitching rates see Pitching Rate Calculator.

Refrigerate your starter for a couple of days until the yeast drops out, pour off the beer leaving a little in the bottom, swirl that around and pitch to your wort.

If no chilling save a litre of your wort in a sanitized bottle then put the rest into a small cube to no-chill, chill the litre and use that for proofing your starter, then you can pitch the lot when ready, no need to pour off the starter beer, same wort composition.

Think it's great to see a brewer showing that great beer can be made in limited space. PP has done this well for a long time. This is a great example for new brewers who maybe are in this same situation of limited space and equipment.

Brew Happy,

Screwy

Man you guys are quick to reply!

Thanks for all the advice so far. I should have asked one question clearer.

Is there any reason I should not ferment in a jerry can (from Bunnings)?

SpillsMostOfit where did you find the Decor containers Kmart or similar?

I know my local HBS dosnt stock 1/2 fermenters but I will checking surrounding ones at lunch, cheers Screwtop

Thanks again

I have a large 23L and small 15L fermentor.

I also use the Fresh wort kit containers. They cost $2 each from the local HBS. I've got hald a dozen or so now.

What's good is they lock into each other as you stack them. You can get about 8 of them in the Beer fridge section and 2 in the freezer section for quick chill before pitching.

BOG

There is plenty of big-brewery research that says the shape of the fermentation vessel affects beer. I'd imagine this effect is minimal.

The biggest problem I can see is being able to see and reach inside the jerry to clean it properly between brews. Probably not a big deal if you fill it full of some cleaning solution and rinse it well.

Apart from this, there shouldn't be a problem using a jerry can.

There's an interesting article in the Grain & Grape web site on small space brewing - link to web site above in sponsors section. Doesn't help your fermenter question that much, but may offer some other ideas.

If you get off on cleaning things that are really difficult to clean, none at all. If you use a pressure washer, harsh chemicals, lots of water, it is somewhat easier, but life is too short.

SpillsMostOfit where did you find the Decor containers Kmart or similar?

Kmart, Bunnings, Supermarket. You can wash them in the dishwasher if you want to.

a malt shovel brewing fermenter will have a few added bits and pieces (you might not need another hydrometer, or lager kit)... but is a perfect size for you.. 12l.. and is designed for the purpose.. easy to clean and so forth... got mine at BigW when they were on sale at some stage... has worked well, except for the airlock, (which doesn't seem to work)

I also have used a fresh wort kit container, but a bit hard to clean... you cant get a cloth in there to wipe off krausen, so it has to be soaked off... not impossible, but the purpose built fermenter is better.. the tap on the maltshovel fermenter is a good one, too.. easy to clean, and you can point it any direction you like without overtightening the washer or risking leaks..

definitely a more expensive option to the Bunnings or fresh wort ones, but does make brewing slightly easier...

good luck..

a malt shovel brewing fermenter will have a few added bits and pieces (you might not need another hydrometer, or lager kit)... but is a perfect size for you.. 12l.. and is designed for the purpose.. easy to clean and so forth...

i have one of these in the shed somewhere that i never used, if i can find all the bits it's yours for the price of postage, pm me if your'e stuck.

cheers
yard

Someone mentioned using spring water bottles. Thats what I use.
I use the water for mashing 'coz the water profile is known and is easily adjusted. 'Coz I need more than 10L per brew, I usually end up with two empty bottles, so one each for primary and secondary ferm and then into the rubbish.
For Lagers, with only two bottles I had to clean the primary ferm to use for lagering, wasn't hard with a sponge cable-tied to a coathanger.
Lid is just gladwrap and a lacky.
Airlock(actually a blow-off hose) is easy; poke a small hole in the top of the bottle, push a pen/pencil through it to widen it, then shove some vinyl hose in, seals really well(bottle tries to close up around the hose). Hose end just sits in a bottle of water.
9L.jpg

I often use jerry cans to ferment in. Clean with a soak in napisan. Not as easy as proper fermenters, but they fit in a fridge much better than normal fermenters do. I got most of mine by buying some Fresh Wort Kits and then saving them (along with some freebies, thanks Gerard :D ). That way you get ones which are food grade, sturdier than the majority of the Bunnings ones, with caps which you know will fit well, plus you get to drink the contents of the FWK. :beerbang:

Thanks for all the tips.

I already have a jerry can (for a no chill test) so I might use that. On the weekend I'll source a FWK container and look at the spring water bottles and give that a bash too see what works best.

lol, i must have a 6th sense or something :p

i think i still got some posts somewhere with recipes and tips/hints if you would like me to have a look?

What about making a concentrated wort and diluting it to the "standard" volume you used in your fermenters?

I have thought of that NRB, but the idea of numerous experimental batches to perfect my recipes has had me scheming all weekend. I really dont like the thought of trying to clean the 10L jerry cans from bunnings but I can get 4 of them in my fridge.

A few more places to check for alternate vessles but I should be brewing a nice Belgian something (so many descisions) by Friday.

The easy way to clean them is to just fill up with hot napisan solution, leave overnight, rinse out well. Done. :D

Latest posts

Back