Min temp for no chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fylp

Reaction score
Hey all, I've lost my brew book which had written in it the min temp it needs to be when transferred over to the cube. I'm experimenting at moment with whirlpool times and about to shoot my self in the foot- well hope not!

Help
Phil

I'm no expert but I thought you don't want to chill so it sanitises the cube? That's what I read when I started doing it and it's the way I have been doing it (but I still use Star-San in the cube and hosing).

EDIT

I just reread the OP - i didn't read it so well the first time, so apologies for my stupid answer :blink:

I wouldn't transfer much below 80C assuming you've sanitised the cube and higher than that if you haven't. I find the temp drops 5C or so fairly quickly as the cube is cold and then, cools slowly from there. Much below that and IMO the risk of spoilage is just too high.

Thanks fellas, I got my 30min whirlpool in with an 8 degree drop. I wasn't sure if 90 or 80 was the magic number for pasteurising. Got above both so no worries.

Cheers

Pasturising occurs somewhere in the 60's so for sanitation purposes I use 70 degrees as my magic number just to be safe. I'm pretty certain that sanitising doesn't occur instantly so you would probably want it above 70 for a little while. Obviously the hotter you have it, the quicker the kill rate though.

Latest posts

Back