Mill Motors for Dummies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosco

Reaction score
My new Mill Master mini mill should arrive tomorrow B) Ill be using a drill on it for starters so I was wondering if any one could tell me where to get a spider coupler in Australia to use with it. I didnt even know what a spider coupler was until I started reading up on mill motors.

Also.....I salvaged one of these from an electric go kart a while back and I was wondering if I could use it on my mill? and how would I go about that if its possible? I can use a soldering iron but wiring an STC is about the extent of my knowledge and skill. I do have a sparky mate that can help me but sourcing the parts would be the hard part for me since I know jack about this sorta thing. Ill contact MD tomorrow. Just wondering if any one can gives me some advice.

A free motor would be nice to use.....

Cheers.

PS Im not sure if its the 350w or the 250w version. The serial number just says My1016-hd

Called in at Gisborne IGA at the weekend, on the community notice board was a variable speed motor and gearbox for $40.00 would be ideal for a grain mill.

nosco said:
Also.....I salvaged one of these from an electric go kart a while back and I was wondering if I could use it on my mill? and how would I go about that if its possible? I can use a soldering iron but wiring an STC is about the extent of my knowledge and skill. I do have a sparky mate that can help me but sourcing the parts would be the hard part for me since I know jack about this sorta thing. Ill contact MD tomorrow. Just wondering if any one can gives me some advice.
Will depend on what its speed is, you may need a grearbox or pulley's to slow it down. Should have enough grunt to do the job. Is it AC or DC

wide eyed and legless said:
Called in at Gisborne IGA at the weekend, on the community notice board was a variable speed motor and gearbox for $40.00 would be ideal for a grain mill.
Already blown the budget on the mill and a reco thermapen and it be tricky mission to sneak out to Gisbourne without rousing suspicion. Sounds good though. I could sell the one I have then.

It's a DC motor and will definitely need pulleys or a gear box just to hook it up to the mill. I'm just not sure where to source that sort of stuff or what to search for.

It should have how many rpm on the motor somewhere.

DC motors are great because they have very high starting torque

Google the Australian Pulley Co.
I got mine from a bulk buy here a number of years ago, I think it's 300 mm or 250 mm any way it was powered by an old washing machine motor,1/4 hp 1425 rpm,this setup turned the mill at a nice slow speed.
There was some info put up regarding how pulley size and rpm = mill speed.
Try a forum search for pulleys,it's in there somewhere but I can't remember when.

There's no details on the motor but googled it and found out it's 250w so it should about the same as the 250w which is 2750rpm and .9 rating torque. It's all Chinese to me atm.

I rang the Australian Pulley co in Sydney today. It's about $50 for a 12" pulley wheel but I'd need to get something modified to fit the 8mm on the motor. With postage it would be close to $100 and I'd need a power supply too.So unless I can hook up the sprockets I'm probably better off getting the made for the job motor from Motion Dynamics or Full Pint. It'll be a work in progress anyway.

nosco said:
There's no details on the motor but googled it and found out it's 250w so it should about the same as the 250w which is 2750rpm and .9 rating torque. It's all Chinese to me atm.
I dont think the rpm will be the same as an AC motor

Its the 250w version (more or less) of the one i linked to in the first post which are all DC

FaceBook can be useful sometimes. I put a post up last night for an old bread maker. Picking one up tomorrow! Im glad coz I really dont want yet another "long term" project taking up space in the garage. Better to get it finished asap.

Anyone want a 250w DC scooter motor?

Latest posts

Back