Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadT18

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I done my second brew i did the Coopers Mexican Cerveza just plan simply how coopers say to do it no hops or anything like that. it did say keep it at 25-27deg but i read on here cause its a Larger yeast to keep it low so i got it about 18deg and was fermenting for 2 weeks OG was 1030 FG was 1010.

it been bottle for about 2 weeks now and i open 1 up and i cant say i was too happy with it (it tasted crap) i even put lemon in it and still crap didn't taste so much inflected but then again i neva tried inflected beer tho.

will the taste get any better over time i uploaded photos of the bottle there is white crap down the bottom im guessing thats the priming sugar tho will that clear up and is the colour alrite for a cerveza i was expecting a little clearer the beer

i have uploaded 2 pics of the bottle 1 with the white at the bottom
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG

What yeast did you use? Is not clear if yoiu used the kit yeast or got another one.

If it was a lager yeast, temps are still too high. Saying that, they will improve/clear with time.

Correct me if im wrong but i think the kit yeats is an ale larger hybrid?
The stuff in the bottle is just yeast settiment make sure you keep your bottles standing upright so the yeast settles to the bottom and doesnt effect the taste.
Have patience give it another week or 2 then give it another try.

2 weeks after bottling a kit and kilo is still very young.

I like to leave my bottles batches a minimum of 4 - 6 weeks as the flavors change and melt together a lot better, not to mention compacting the yeast a little more especially if put into the fridge for some time after the bottle have carbed up.

The white stuff on the bottom of the bottle is yeast sediment and can be reduced if you rack the beer to another fermenter after primary fermentation has finished. This may be desirable if you like to drink from the bottle instead of pouring to a glass to avoid the yeast sediment mixing with the beer and not making it taste as nice.

Cheers Coop :icon_cheers:

Your storing those bottle in a dark place out of reach from sunlight yeah?

+1 on taking at least a month to come good, 2 months even better with K&K.

Hey Bad I just did one of these and followed the instructions albeit the recommended temperature.

I found that after two weeks of bottling the beer was still kinda off. Almost like something had gone wrong with too much yeast flavours. Or some other esters that were fruityesq.

Leave it for a month in the dark as suggested and come back to it. At the higher temperatures it tastes more like a pale ale to me but still drinkable. Don't be disheartened and keep hold of it.

From what I've learnt with kits is that you never just use the kit if you're looking for something that tastes ANYTHING like the beer you're after. The instructions regarding the yeast would tell you what the lowest temp it should go to is. The yeast that comes in the kits is not true lager yeast. Its more of a Ale yeast designed to brew at higher temps as not everyone has the convenience of brew fridges etc. As such you never end up with a lager tasting beer. IMO all kit beers taste like crap and all end up with fruity flavours unless you use some additional hops and a different yeast. These 2 cheap additions can dramatically change the beer and are worth every cent. I would say however that you should leave it in the bottles for at least another 4 weeks. You'll notice the yeast sediment at the bottom will get more compact and the beer above will be a lot clearer...but you wont be able to drink the beer directly from the bottle, you'll have to carefully pour it into glass's so as not to end up with that cloudy yeast back in your beer.

I actually have a partial cerveza down at the moment fermenting (I hate using kits at all but didnt have the time for an all grain this time around). Took 30 minutes to put it all together and is now sitting at 12 degrees with Saflager yeast. Had a taste of it yesterday 1 week into fermenting and its already tasting great. Will let you know how it goes and if its any good I'll give you the recipe and instructions for next time you make a brew!

Latest posts

Back