Methanol Production

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivaanl

Reaction score
Is there any trace amounts of methanol produced during fermentation, or even other types of alcohol such as propanol or butanol?

Do you think this required a new thread, or could your earlier Ethanol thread have been a better place? Clearly your questions are a continuation.

The majority of us make beer here, just to remind you.

Sorry dude, there are forums that deal with 'water purification'. This is not one of them, and discussion is a breach of the forum rules.

Not trying to be rude, but take this discussion elsewhere before you're banned.

Cheers

Is there any trace amounts of methanol produced during fermentation, or even other types of alcohol such as propanol or butanol?

I should've rephrased the question more appropriately. I meant to ask is there trace amounts of methanol production when fermenting beer, hence why I posted it here. Perhaps I could've continued it on from my earlier post and referenced it to beer.

as painfully ill-informed as he is, he's not yet mentioned distillation. Just maybe he really does expect to make some high alc grog simply by fermenting a ton of sugar with turbo yeast. :rolleyes:

Mate, you have been told earlier, it will taste like shit. And if you do want to distill it, then it cant be discussed here !

Make some beer and then we'll chat

I should've rephrased the question more appropriately. I meant to ask is there trace amounts of methanol production when fermenting beer, hence why I posted it here. Perhaps I could've continued it on from my earlier post and referenced it to beer.

Yes.

as painfully ill-informed as he is, he's not yet mentioned distillation. Just maybe he really does expect to make some high alc grog simply by fermenting a ton of sugar with turbo yeast. :rolleyes:

Mate, you have been told earlier, it will taste like shit. And if you do want to distill it, then it cant be discussed here !

Make some beer and then we'll chat

This post is completely independent from my ethanol only post. My question on methanol has nothing to with distillation or what I am trying to achieve in the other post. I simply want to know whether or not there are small amounts of methanol (or other form of alcohol) produced when brewing beer.

P.S I only brew beer. My other thread is just an experiment, which got me thinking "is there methanol produced when fermenting beer".

Its just dawned on me. He expects to create home made solvents to be used in the production of narcotics ! Way off on purity, pal. And good luck with sourcing a fractionating column. Actually good luck not causing yourself some serious harm... whatever it is you are planning.

Moderators for the LOCK?

Yeah.... bring in the stormtroopers!!!!

17836479_a3ba97e5f4.jpg

or....

71639.gif

can someone point to anything anywhere that says methanol is produced? It's an old wives tale like aluminium and alzheimers. Fermentation of sugar with yeast doesn't produce methanol. the end.

can someone point to anything anywhere that says methanol is produced? It's an old wives tale like aluminium and alzheimers. Fermentation of sugar with yeast doesn't produce methanol. the end.
I'm pretty sure you can create methanol and higher alcohols when fermenting a sugar wash too hot, that's how people go blind drinking moonshine :p

I'm pretty sure you can create methanol and higher alcohols when fermenting a sugar wash too hot, that's how people go blind drinking moonshine :p

I suggest both of you do some research. Methanol is produced by the fermentation process in any sugar wash (grains, grapes, fruit, sucrose etc). It is only produced in a very small amount and during distillation is discarded as foreshots/heads. Any analysis of a alcoholic drink will show up trace amounts of methanol as well as many other alcohols.

Fil

Actually, there is methanol produced when you fement beer, if there wasn't you wouldn't get a hangover, it also produces acetone and numerous other higher alcohol.. in minimal amounts. Sugar washes will produce a similar amount of methanol to ethanol ratio. Fementing different fruits and other things will produce a higher methanol to ethanol ratio.

The "people go blind" thing with moonshine wasn't to do with the methanol it was actually related to the things people were adding to spirits during prohabition era. This is a common misunderstanding perpetuated by the authorities at the time which continues today

That is complete bullshit. Its in the range of 0.001% to 0.1% of the total alcohols produced.

Settle down filby, i'll rephrase that, sugar washes will produce a similar methanol to ethanol ratio as a standar beer wash. I didn't mean its a 50% methanol to 50% ethanol ratio... Now that would make for a serious hangover!

The "people go blind" thing with moonshine wasn't to do with the methanol it was actually related to the things people were adding to spirits during prohabition era. This is a common misunderstanding perpetuated by the authorities at the time which continues today

The "common misunderstanding" is that methanol does not cause blindness. It certainly can

History: The most significant toxic effects of methanol are optic nerve damage, metabolic acidosis and respiratory depression. Typically within 18 to 48 hours after ingestion, individuals develop nausea, abdominal pain, headache, and slowed breathing. This is accompanied by visual disturbances such as blurred or double vision, changes in color perception, constricted visual fields and complete blindness.

Physical exam: Individuals may experience vision problems, including difficulty seeing clearly, and changes in their field of vision leading to eventual blindness. Individuals may also be fatigued, confused and in a stupor or coma. The abdomen may be tender when palpated, and the individual may experience seizures, cranial nerve palsy, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, slow heart rate, and decreased respirations.​
(Source: www.mdguidelines.com/toxic-effects-methyl-alcohol)

Latest posts

Back