Metallic Character Coming From 1 Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently picked up a metallic character coming from my left tap.
DSC01608.JPG

At the time, I put it down to the beer itself (as in, the beer was faulted). Erring on the side of caution and also chasing a mould problem, I did a full tear down and clean including beer line replacement (C02 lines not replaced). All parts were soaked in hot pbw with thorough clean (using only a chux cloth), saniclean rinse, ran saniclean through the lines for a few minutes to re-dispense. Still had the metallic character, where again, I put it down to the beer at the time.

Brewed a golden ale a couple of weeks ago. Was a split batch 1056 to one ferm, Denny's to the other (for competitive test). Threw the 1056 on right tap (fine), threw Denny's batch on left (the suspect tap) and sure as hell, Metallic.. but not initially. It took sitting on tap a day before I picked up the character, but it's there. Night and day there, compared to 1056 on right. If I had to put it down to a single flavour, it would be that of coins.. like I dropped a few copper coins into the beer glass.

I switch the line so that Denny's out post is now dispensing from OK tap at right, and bingo, no Metallic taste!

So I can put it down to the line/tap itself. Can anyone advise what part/part(s) could be causing this? I did not spot rust in any of the tap parts at recent teardown/rebuild. Not sure what else it could be?
DSC01611.JPG

Any advise appreciated and cheers.

reVox

edit: grammar

when stripping down did you notice any wear on the parts? e.g bare metals? Other than that the only other thing i can think of is the beginnings of a brett infection can taste 'metallic' but as you said, you have replaced the line and thoroughly cleaned the tap.

Hmm... what about the beer out disconnect? (probabaly splitting hairs.)

Is it a brass tap? Is the chrome flaking off on the inside??

Can you swap the taps themselves over so you can determine whether the problem is stemming from the line or the tap?

Can you swap the taps themselves over so you can determine whether the problem is stemming from the line or the tap?

Good idea Kaiser. Yep, I can do this. And will closely re-examine all parts for scratches, flaking, etc. The taps are the cheapie chrome plated, brass Micromatic ones from Ross here:
fridgetap-kit.jpg

Cheers

Well, it's been ages since I've messed with this but finally found the source of the metallic character:
metalic_fixed.jpg

I was cleaning the inside of fridge and noticed an almost black colour stemming from the barb that comes from shank on inside of fridge. The black discolouration was sort of crawling up the beer line (by 2-3mm).. yanked the line off, removed the barb.. figured the black gunk was foul beer so boiled the barb, barb seal and outer securing bolt.. gave the shank, tap a good spray out with metho.. within a few minutes black flecks began appearing in the water. I stopped the boil and looking down the barb saw it was obstructed by something metal ! Took the end of a steak knife and dug the little ******* out.

Popped it in my mouth, and bingo.. yep, that's the flavour I've been chasing.

It looks like a spring of some sort? or could it be the remnants from drill out at manufacturing (assuming a barb is machined in this way)?

I obviously missed the spring/metal at fridge assembly and at subsequent line replacement.

Cheers and thanks all for the advice.
Sent you a PM foles, as followup.

reVox

It's good that you found out what the problem was. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back