Metalic Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirDrinkalot

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before...
but my fathers keg beer sometimes tastes Metalic....
what could cause that??
This is for the entire keg that he makes

Really?

That's all the details you're going to give?

Pretty sure it is beer cancer.

[EDIT: or more helpfully, tell us what he makes, how he makes it and what he makes it from. Saves a heap of guesswork and unintentional misinformation. Speaking of guesswork and unintentional misinformation, my 2c is that it is either kit twang, old LME or an infection.]

what bum said

here's a link the might help you. the whole website is fairly usefull, a bit of information's out of date

cheer's matho

Really?

That's all the details you're going to give?

Pretty sure it is beer cancer.

[EDIT: or more helpfully, tell us what he makes, how he makes it and what he makes it from. Saves a heap of guesswork and unintentional misinformation. Speaking of guesswork and unintentional misinformation, my 2c is that it is either kit twang, old LME or an infection.]

Dial it back a bit mate, you wonder why half the newbies around here never come back.....

Sorry guys...
All his equiptment is new.. he brews in single batch drums (30ltr with 23ltrs in it)
He keeps them in old fridges that dont work in the shed so he can help regulate the temperate because the shed can get up to high temperatures in summer.
He does either Coopers Pale Ale or Coopers European Larger.
He leaves them for 2 weeks and then kegs.... even if it has stopped bubbling after a week... if it is still bubbling after 2 weeks he will leave it longer
He does NOT use a Hydrometer.. For the life of me I can't understand why!! It must be important if they invented it and the guy at his home brew shop says "what was your reading on your Hydrometer"
He tries to keep everything sterile when he is putting down a brew or kegging it.
not sure what temperature/s they have been but will ask him tomorrow afternoon when I go to see him
If there is anything else that would be useful please let me know and i will ask him...

If he keeps things as clean as you suggest then the most likely culprit, IMO, would be either kit twang (which is less likely if the problem has appeared recently) or using older LME (get him to check the use by dates of the tins he buys to make sure they are fresh). These may not be the only sources but do seem the most likely to me.

Good to see you came back...

I used to get the same thing, I often wondered if it was from the unpurified water I used...

It has seemed to stop now tho, all that has changed is i now controll the temperature and that I am aware of used by dates on cans (or use grain). So considering that it has stopped for me since then, I would guess at one of those two things are the cause.

has he tried it through a different tap ? Is the tap a cheapy chrome job, it might be flaking ?

You mention that he ferments in old fridges in the shed that don't work.

Any idea on the fermentation temperatures?

I'm guessing that the temperature could still get quite hot assuming he doesn't put ice etc in the fridges.

Edit: He could bottle a small amount of it to see whether it's a problem with the keg system or the brew itself.

Back