Merry Christmas brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, Shotgun07.

1671498182848.png

Merry Christmas and Happy New to you and your family and the rest of the AHB community!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe break and the family gatherings aren't too stressful (thankfully my family is pretty easy going and happy just to hang and enjoy some nice food and booze)!!

Merry Christmas, I am new to this forum and had a great time reading some of your conversations, I am wondering what is your "secret" tips that make a huge difference with home brewing?

Hi Archer11, You're in the right place for information, people here have a wealth of knowledge and very happy to help. Now on the topic, the biggest beneficial tips for me have been (after sanitation) - Temperature control, type and quantity of yeast used, aerating the wort, ensuring a diacetyl rest and letting the yeast do a cleanup for a few days after fermentation has finished. That's a good start, the recipe is up to you. :cheers:

Merry Christmas, I am new to this forum and had a great time reading some of your conversations, I am wondering what is your "secret" tips that make a huge difference with home brewing?

Be fastidious about cleaning and sanitation.
Dechlorinate your water. Either filter through a carbon filter or use a Campden tablet.
Pitch enough yeast. If doing kits, the packet under the lid likely will not do a sufficient job to fully attenuate.
Temperature control during fermentation.
If using liquid yeast, inject pure oxygen into the wort about 10 minutes prior to pitching your yeast.
Bottle or keg after about 2 weeks. If sufficient yeast is pitched, your fermentation will do done in about 3 to 4 days, but giving it time to clean up is a good idea.
Learn to brew your favourite beer by doing repeat batches to iron out any issues you detect. It's tempting to try all sorts of fancy things just because you can, but it will slow your learning curve by a large margin.
Keep it simple, 1 base malt and 2 or 3 max specialty malts will do a huge number of styles.
Above all, have fun, it's a hobby!

Yeah Archer basically what these guys above have said. YouTube is your friend and don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions even if you feel stupid doing it. I’m only a beginner myself but have learnt a few things along the way just by asking questions I felt dumb asking but the people on here are amazing and will help out where they can.

Back