Mercurio's Menu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heya Merc, finally caught an episode(Cairns?), good stuff, keep it up!.
And keep hounding those producers for more beer-related content.. they don't know it but we all want it!

...... Also: we have an SD box because what's the point of a HD box on an SDTV?

HD boxes can 'down-convert' the HD channel's 1080 line output to standard definition (576 lines) for a normal TV set, so yes, there's no point when it's a matter of screen resolution... BUT the HD channels have time-shifted repeats(eg, sometimes an hour earlier... or later.. check you're TV guide) and sometimes they have different movies and TV-series.... Bonus.

All the SD channels are just clones of the 'Free to air' analog channels. There's no extra programming except for ABC2 and SBS News... oh, and the 24hour scrolling program guide/advert channel for each network... I delete those from the program list ;)
Note that 'Free to air' is a misnomer.... all available channels (original analog, SD and HD DVBdigital) are free-to-air, unless you get them through a Foxtel box....

I wish the ABC would start broadcasting Triple-J in Digital, would have a reason to start using the DAB receiver in the Set-top box.

HD boxes can 'down-convert' the HD channel's 1080 line output to standard definition (576 lines) for a normal TV set, so yes, there's no point when it's a matter of screen resolution... BUT the HD channels have time-shifted repeats(eg, sometimes an hour earlier... or later.. check you're TV guide) and sometimes they have different movies and TV-series.... Bonus.
That's true, but it's really only just started happening, so before this year, I wouldn't have considered HD (even though my set will do 1080i). It's just a coincidence that I built an HD capable MythTV box to replace the previous faulty hardware, but I would still question the benefit of an HD box if just for the extra programming. There are a few of the benefits you list, but mostly it's just the same content as SD, which is no benefit to non-HD capable tellies. But 1080 HD is so perty :p

I wish the ABC would start broadcasting Triple-J in Digital, would have a reason to start using the DAB receiver in the Set-top box.
But not at the expense of DiG Jazz.... I love that channel.

but I would still question the benefit of an HD box if just for the extra programming.
Yeah but it's nice to have a couple more options when there's bugger all on TV - without paying money to watch adverts(Foxtel)... plus, a used HD box at Cashies (or the Quakka/Trading Post/wherever) is about the same price as a new SD box... I've seen 'em at Cashies for $45, extra content at no extra expense, well, maybe some... used SD boxes are around $25.

Anyway, getting way OT here.

For all those without a digital box get with the times and stop holding the rest of us with one to ransom.

Analogue tv was meant to be switched of a couple of years ago. By people being tight and not adopting digital technology means that we still dont get multiview features and extra channels as promised in 2001 when digital began.

Its only been recently that seven and ten have started broadcasting an extra channel.

If everyone had adopted digital earlier then bogans like me could be watching the clipsal 500 with multiview channels all weekend, and all of you that are bitching about it would have more channels to watch.

I stumbled across this thread and thought I would have a read as I caught a bit of this show at a customer's house a few weeks back.

A few people on here now know that I am a sat installer for both pay tv and internet. I really have to pull you up here Paul as what you said is a bit rough. I would bloody love to plug in my digital set top that now gathers dust but there is nothing floating around in the air that it will talk to! A lot of Australians don't have digital tv as yet, heaps even struggle to get analogue so my advice is to think a bit outside of your latte drinking capital city or wherever you are and get out and see a bit.

The show looked great from what I saw of it and I didn't even realise until now that the reason that I have not seen it since is because of the HD/analogue thing. What a country we live in hey?

Henno

I stumbled across this thread and thought I would have a read as I caught a bit of this show at a customer's house a few weeks back.

A few people on here now know that I am a sat installer for both pay tv and internet. I really have to pull you up here Paul as what you said is a bit rough. I would bloody love to plug in my digital set top that now gathers dust but there is nothing floating around in the air that it will talk to! A lot of Australians don't have digital tv as yet, heaps even struggle to get analogue so my advice is to think a bit outside of your latte drinking capital city or wherever you are and get out and see a bit.

The show looked great from what I saw of it and I didn't even realise until now that the reason that I have not seen it since is because of the HD/analogue thing. What a country we live in hey?

Henno

Just to be clear the 'Paul' mentioned is not me 'Merc' .

I am currently sitting at the New Zealand club lounge waiting on a plane back to Melbourne and sipping on a Montieths Doppelbock Winter Ale 6% It is not bad. I also had lunch at a Monteiths Ale house which consisted of two handles of Monteiths Black and a plate of Rabbit Rilettes and Duck Liver Pate. As my mother in law said to my wife the other day - " each new episode Paul looks fatter" ...agh the pitfalls of being on the road but if that is what I must do to bring you the viewer (we currently pull about 450 000 viewers per week and growing) enjoyment and knowledge then I pledge to keep doing it selflessly and happily....maybe the beer is getting to me....maybe I should have just one more for the road or ah the flight ....maybe.....I might sign off. Cheers!

Just to be clear the 'Paul' mentioned is not me 'Merc' .

I am currently sitting at the New Zealand club lounge waiting on a plane back to Melbourne and sipping on a Montieths Doppelbock Winter Ale 6% It is not bad. I also had lunch at a Monteiths Ale house which consisted of two handles of Monteiths Black and a plate of Rabbit Rilettes and Duck Liver Pate. As my mother in law said to my wife the other day - " each new episode Paul looks fatter" ...agh the pitfalls of being on the road but if that is what I must do to bring you the viewer (we currently pull about 450 000 viewers per week and growing) enjoyment and knowledge then I pledge to keep doing it selflessly and happily....maybe the beer is getting to me....maybe I should have just one more for the road or ah the flight ....maybe.....I might sign off. Cheers!

Another candidate for gout sitting in the wings ...................

Merc,

Was not having a go at you just the guy who shares the same first name as you that doesn't know about the plight of the regional aussie. The show looked great, post me the DVDs. I will put some coal in my DVD player.

I'm off to Queenstown in NZ soon and Monty's is one place I'm gunna look up/drink at. The other place that has been recommended to me there is Dux de Lux, it appears to be next door to Monty's in Queenstown. Oh well, not far to stumble.

Didn't realise you were such a foody Merc. Were the rabbit rilletes good?

Henno

...agh the pitfalls of being on the road but if that is what I must do to bring you the viewer (we currently pull about 450 000 viewers per week and growing) enjoyment and knowledge then I pledge to keep doing it selflessly and happily....maybe the beer is getting to me....maybe I should have just one more for the road or ah the flight ....maybe.....I might sign off. Cheers!

Bring it strong Paul, we look to you, our numbers are growing, we look for diversity and enjoy what regional produce, both food and drink has to offer. Suffer the pitfalls, and think of us as you indulge in the best this part of the world has to offer. Oh and maybe cut down on the margerine if the weight is creeping up :lol:

Screwy

As my mother in law said to my wife the other day - " each new episode Paul looks fatter" ...agh the pitfalls of being on the road

I'll let you in on an old Kiwi saying Paul........

"Bought and paid for" (said while slapping one's gut :D)

just means there's more of you for the wife to love mate :lol: (and a bigger target for the mother in law......)

And a bit thinner up top..... :p

Oh man! :( I keep asking Mick the camera man to not take the overhead from behind shots but he keeps insisting! Thats it I am not buying him any more beers or taking him to any more Micros!

Oh and thanks for bringing it up Ducatiboy stu!

Thanks for the encouragement Screwtop, I will soldier on - for the cause of course!

Henno the rillettes are good!

Sorry Paul... B)

It happens to the best of us.......my haircutter mentioned my "receding hairline" and my mates who havent seen me for a while keep pointing out that I must be in a pretty good paddock...

Still love the show... :beer:

Mareeba yesterday, NO BEER...
Lonnie today, lousy 2 stubbies Merc... When do we see the beer man??

The food has all been great though, gotta say - and I like the show.

Great show tonight Merc. Was going really well up until I saw you take a sip of VB on National TV :p
Great to see all the producers we buy produce from at the Farmers/Growers markets too.
The goats cheese lady was spruking your program at the Castle Hill Market this weekend too.

Beers,
Doc

Yeah Doc the best use ever for VB, tossing it in with ice water to dull and quieten the final moments of those muddies lives before they went into the boiler hehehe.

Dunno if it was product placement or just coincidence, but that VB label was very prominent :) Again a great show, loved the sausage guy at Dulwich Hill, we will sure be headed over there soon, its on the way to the Portuguese places in Petersham we love so much.

We can never get organised early enough to get to the Good Living markets at the Pyrmont :) We went once just after they started and loved it though. Cheerz Wab

Damn that was a good show..

Oysters, Cheese, Salami/sausage, Crabs, Tuna roll..... :super:

BUT....no real beers....... :(

Hi Merc,

Ummmm.... this sort of a strange thing to put on my first post on these forums, but my other half would like to recomend you don't wear horizontal stripes in your shows. She was also very horrified by you putting a VB to your lips :)

BTW have watched your show ever since it crossed the border, and it's been great for planning our holidays. We are going to the ski fields in august and plan to visit some of the places you recomended around Milawa and Beechworth..

Himzo

I have been to the Milawa cheese factory...

Trust me..you wont wont to go there...My bank account took a thrashing at that place...and they didnt like the way I dribbled and couldnt speak properly... :rolleyes:

I have been to the Milawa cheese factory...

Trust me..you wont wont to go there...My bank account took a thrashing at that place...and they didnt like the way I dribbled and couldnt speak properly... :rolleyes:

The cheese factory is right at the top of the list. Being as it's a holiday we aren't "too fussed" about the bank account. As far the "dribbling", I'm not a great lover of rat bait so it won't be me they have to worry about, the other one on the other hand.... ;)

Damn that was a good show..

Oysters, Cheese, Salami/sausage, Crabs, Tuna roll..... :super:
we must get a different episode in tassie?? saw the crocodile show with the croc currie, damn that looked good. tastes like chicken with a bit of fish eh? great episode. cheers.
joe

Back