Melbourne Microbreweries Showcase At Fed Square

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my objection to pellets is really just an objection to that 'modular' approach to beer construction. Pellets are processed, for industrial convenience, and 'useless' parts of the hop cone are thrown out in the process. This seems like a gross indignity for such a noble ingredient, and I particularly object to seeing glasses full of different hop pellets on display with brewers telling drinkers "this is what hops look like". I generally don't use pellets, I feel far more comfortable with flowers or plugs. It may well be that pellets are 'just as good', but I think there's a philosophy involved. If you are happy to use preprocessed, condensed ingredients then why brew all-grain at all?

Have you tried the Red Hill brewery? They grow their own hops on site. They are down on the Mornington Peninsula. They had a Russian Imperial on tap last time I was there.

http://www.redhillbrewery.com.au/hops.htm

Well that was fun! :beer:

Tasted over 15 beers easily was 3/4's sideways by the end. Some stall holder were being mighty geneours with those servings and some not.

Tried a load of beers i would never have tried before, hefeweizens, bocks, black and tans, portors and heaps of others. Realised i dont like wheat beers at all but still gave em a shot.

Pale Ales and Pilsners galore too. Which is funny cause i've just tried my first AG Pilsner so i had a few before i went in to stack it up and it might just be me but i couldnt find a Pils i liked from one of the stands came home and drank mine promptly! Saaaaazzz and loads of it.

Very enjoable evening and so glad i went, so many good beers and cheap good fun. Got pretty rammed too i reckon there was over 100ppl there when i left. :party:

Pyssedas had a few representatives there last night [handing out some of our fliers - which elicited minimal amusement from a minimal number of people] on the whole the beer was good - although i had tasted pretty much everything there before at some stage or another

Probably the Red Hill Imperial Stout was my fav - and yes there were a couple that just needed to be chucked out

Back