Melbourne Grain Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks PF. was really smooth getting my grain! pretty happy with how much i've saved! hope you enjoy the beers I left for you!

Well, I wad given a bunch of beers on the bb day, so here I go trying my best to convey my reviews.

1. Bum's Faded AIPA 5.9%

First thing to hit me when pouring was the aroma. Ahhhhh, just so damn good. OK, now, he warned me that it's a couple of months past it's prime. But the taste, hmnnnnnn the harsh bitterness was coming through and can't say I tasted too much of the hops, just the bitterness. But harsh in a good way if that can be imagined.

Next, the malt. Ahhhh. So damn good. If aging a beer is supposed to bring out the malt, well this demonstrates it. The nice maltiness provided a strong background taste to the bitterness. I loved it. I generally don't like very bitter overly hoppy beers but this one agreed with me, very nice, very nice indeed. I can only imagine what this would've tasted like at it's peak.

Hi PracticallyAFool:

It is good that you don't like the bitter, overly hoppy IPAs.....that way I can rest easy when we cook up some Indian and down a few coldies.
I picked up the grains today and some additional yeasts and gear. They were very helpful , even though they were still so busy. If you are out there- thanks John. Much appreciated.

Thanks for all.

Well, I wad given a bunch of beers on the bb day, so here I go trying my best to convey my reviews.

1. Bum's Faded AIPA 5.9%

First thing to hit me when pouring was the aroma. Ahhhhh, just so damn good. OK, now, he warned me that it's a couple of months past it's prime. But the taste, hmnnnnnn the harsh bitterness was coming through and can't say I tasted too much of the hops, just the bitterness. But harsh in a good way if that can be imagined.

Next, the malt. Ahhhh. So damn good. If aging a beer is supposed to bring out the malt, well this demonstrates it. The nice maltiness provided a strong background taste to the bitterness. I loved it. I generally don't like very bitter overly hoppy beers but this one agreed with me, very nice, very nice indeed. I can only imagine what this would've tasted like at it's peak.

1. Bum's Faded AIPA 5.9%

Bum, sharing beers? Blasphemy! Here i was thinking he was about to start *studying an IT degree...

Wait... he is! :D

* i was inches away from completing a Bachelor of Engineering (computer and network engineering) w/credits starting next year.

Hope you enjoy! Thankfully i havn't been forced into doing it for work. . Although i did have an ace up my sleeve. ( was asked to complete an engineering, science or IT degree/Graduate diploma for a role i applied for. Almost decided upon Brewing at Ballarat! :lol: )

John's been a star really. Putting it all up on a day that busy and breaking out the fantastic Christmas discount among other things. My thank you to Grain and Grape for being such good hosts and genuinely good advice both prior to and on the day too. Cheers.

PS: Reuv, you don't drink a good ale a 'coldie' you noob. I'll blv ur brewing when you ask me over to help stir the mash. And paprika is not real chilli. Geez.

Thanks for the kind words, PK. I'm glad you found something to enjoy in it. FYI, the calculated bitterness on that one was 164IBU so that might account for the bitterness being a little more aggressive than you like. ;)

Thanks for the (sorta) encouragement, Fourstar.

Thanks for the (sorta) encouragement, Fourstar.

I have little interest in going back to the books at this stage in my life, maybe in the future. By all means, fi you're pumped for it. Enjoy! Especially all the university tail! :lol:

2. Vic45's Hefeweizen

Poured beautifully, a medium-dark golden, cloudy of course. Nice head to start that faded a bit quickly. Unfortunately I'm not able to smell subtle phenols atm, bad nose. Taste is good, banana and some strong sharp taste - spiciness for sure but that much?! Can't tell mate, it's a bit sharper than what I'd expect. Was this from a kit or grain- out of curiosity, I'm still learning to place the sources of tastes? Very refreshing and tasty but I can't scull it like I normally can a wheat beer. Slow session beer. Much enjoyed and thanks is already said. Cheers.

An of grain/kit answered, go a small bit of husk in the end of it. Def grain used in the process. It was bloody nice mate. Just way spicier than expected of the typical. Cheers. How did you get that? I'd like to try to get a proportion of this when I do a wheat again.

Firstly sorry about the husk!
Was all grain 2.5 jw pale, 2.5 jw wheat, 22g hallertau at 60 min, 67c single infusion, 17.5c fermentation with WB06 yeast.
Not sure what these are supposed to be like I've never had a fresh commercial version, I can taste cloves?, I think, and smell phenols but no banana. Not sure why its so spicy .

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for the bulk buy, and feedback.

Cheers

Hey man, I think the smell/taste go hand in hand, my nose is stuffed atm... I think wheats have to be the most subjective of all beers to drinker perception. I've had mine described quite differently by 3 different ppl too. Haha, az long as it's enjoyable :) maybe it's getting older and so spicier, I've noticed that happening to commercial weihenstephaner. That reminds me, Bavarians have a particular version of Weiss that they regard as breakfast beer. have to find out some time. Btw, what is the blonde supposed to be? Rest assured, I'm having fun, half a crate full of beers from everyone :D can't be better.

Mate your right about drinker perception mrs vic45 said it tastes like old boot leather, guess shes just not into hefeweizen, oh well.

The Blonde is BribiegG's Baltimore Blonde and mrs vic45 is more than happy to drink this one.

John's been a star really. Putting it all up on a day that busy and breaking out the fantastic Christmas discount among other things. My thank you to Grain and Grape for being such good hosts and genuinely good advice both prior to and on the day too. Cheers.

PS: Reuv, you don't drink a good ale a 'coldie' you noob. I'll blv ur brewing when you ask me over to help stir the mash. And paprika is not real chilli. Geez.

Well if you would brew up a good ale, I wouldn't have to call it a coldie!!
Obviously to serve it and manage to keep your 'good' ale down, it has to be pretty darn cold.

I forgot to tell you- I found my chillies- all 2kg of them- in the back of the fridge. Are you ready for a chilli eating comp or just all talk?

Hah! U didn't. Hmnnnn, I'll have to bash u next time u say u ran outta homebrew.

Did anyone pick up the grain on behalf of NickG? (Nicholas).

He is a bit (quite) late in coming back to me about it so am completely not sure if someone did. As far as I remember, his grain was there but not picked up by the time I left in the afternoon.

Back