Melbourne grain bulk buy? EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanked84

Reaction score
When is the next Melbourne grain bulk buy? I see the other states having ones recently.
Anyone interested?
How do we get the ball rolling?

First find a LHBS that will support the bulk buy and a good grain list and price...and last find someone to run it

I would be interested as I am low on grains and I haven't seen a Melbourne Bulk buy for some time.
As DU99 mentioned it is a matter of getting a Homebrew shop who can provide a good variety of fresh grains at a better price than other shops around.
Bear in mind that at some Melbourne LHBS Joe White Pilsner is $46, Best Malz Wheat $56, Weyerman Pale Ale $70 and Simpsons Maris Otter for $65.
This is a tad dearer than the last bulk buy but then there is quite a bit to organise. On the upside with a BB, you share a sack of speciality malt, making it cost effective.

Had I not just replenished my main malts I would be prepared to run one, as long as I had help from MJ,
would be happy to co-ordinate orders between Gary Larson and AHB.
And best not to say too much.

Let me rephrase that for you

Let's just say...

We're all still Aussies.
But for some Home is not our home but Craft is.
We're all still Brewers
Ultimately we have transitioned from home brewing to craft brewing. The stigma of home brew is still there, but given the quality these days, it should be gone.

And why is there so many advertisements?

Let me rephrase that for you

Let's just say...

We're all still Aussies.
We're all still Brewers

We're all still Aussies.
We're all still Brewers

Ultimately we have transitioned from home brewing to craft brewing. The stigma of home brew is still there, but given the quality these days, it should be gone.

Thanks guys - after the first comment eluding to movement I did some googling and stumbled upon Newfoundland.

Had I not just replenished my main malts I would be prepared to run one, as long as I had help from MJ,
would be happy to co-ordinate orders between Gary Larson and AHB.
And best not to say too much.

Come on, how can you resist a bulk buy for those extra four sacks of grain you don’t really need?

Anyway, I recommend sounding out sponsor HBS that supports both the Far Side & AHB and running the BB across both. Also, get an open access Google sheets spreadsheet organised - here’s one used previously, that I updated for the last two Brisbane grain BB. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YijN0ZT9ugmppj8JJtytDWG6YswUY04SqawzbxKGnDI

I have a Newfoundland x Labrador dog, so this really had me intrigued.

Not having taking much notice, it appears we now have an alternate website for Australian Craft Brewers which is great.
From my perspective, the downside is that it does (assuming a 50/50 split between the sites) double the effort to look for something or halves the chances of finding something and it halves the folks participating in a bulk buy.

Beyond Craft Brewing being the activity more aligned with what many of us do, I would be interested in what the big drivers were for creating an alternate site? Was it the drive to subscriptions that started this movement?

Cheers
Roller

Come on, how can you resist a bulk buy for those extra four sacks of grain you don’t really need?

Anyway, I recommend sounding out sponsor HBS that supports both the Far Side & AHB and running the BB across both. Also, get an open access Google sheets spreadsheet organised - here’s one used previously, that I updated for the last two Brisbane grain BB. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YijN0ZT9ugmppj8JJtytDWG6YswUY04SqawzbxKGnDI
If I had some where to store extra sacks of grain I would, I could ask around and see if there would be any interested parties in supplying grain at a good price.

Please excuse my ignorance as I've not been involved in a grain bulk buy for a couple of years.
But now the HBS margins seem to be much lower, how many sacks would you need to make a significant cost reduction?

edit: btw I'll be in for a sack of pale and pilsner if it goes ahead.

Last edited:
Back