Megaswill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say that in Adelaide too.

Who says that? No locals that I've ever heard. Only patronising eastern-staters in my experience. "Oh Adelaide? not a bad little place. Pity about the water, though."

Adelaide has had top-quality water for many, many years - ever since effective water filtration was installed. I've been all over, and there are many worse water qualities around than in Adelaide.
:angry:

I wouldn't say the megaswill are necessarily bad beers, just bland. Lagers are bland in comparison to ales and all the big producers do is make more of the same and simply switch out the marketing angle.

I certainly don't look down on anyone that prefers a VB over an IIPA or Belgian Tripel, I just think the availability should be there so people can experience a wide range of beer styles and make up their own minds as to what they like instead of only being present with one option in a number of different labels. To put it in wine terms, I don't want to drink just sauvignon blanc, I want to try merlot, shiraz, cab sav and a few ports.

There are 3 massive things for me:

1. Aussie megaswill gives me a hangover - even one beer. I had one bought for me last year, and I thought "don't be a beer snob, when someone is buying", so I had it - it was fizzy and cold, and I enjoyed it. But the hangover next day - I swore off it forever. SWMBO swore off wine last weekend (after only one) for the same reason - euroswill and my beer (of which she partakes on occasion) "never gives hangovers".

2. I have had 2 cartons of euroswill and really enjoyed it. But I'd reckon my beer is more flavoursome. But euroswill and coopers is a really good tastebud recalibrator - we do get obsessed about hops in particular. I love a cold beer without overthinking it - so I come out the other end.

3. I'd love to brew massive varieties of beer - I reckon I read through BJCP at least once a month and often more. But with 3 kegs, and I don't drink much (and the effort to brew a small batch), I can't have a Saison, APA, Weissbier, Southern Brown, RIS, IPA, Best Bitter and Cider at the same time. So I default to my house beer, which is an APA. And let's face it I've converted some Megaswillers to APA with my house beer.

Goomba

I have been known to sip a superdry as a palate cleanser inbetween beers.

I began brewing 6years ago because one night out with the boys one guy put me onto LCPA, and i could not get enough of the fruitiness in the beer and wanted to make a beer that had those qualities with out the price tag. I will say I have always liked XXXX, VB & Carlton Draught, but more recently i have found these dont give me a hangover as such but make me feel very bloated. For me a world with out beer would be a very sad place to live.

My brewing now is more focussed on traditional styles and how to emulate them from euro largers to english ales and newer american hop hogs. because their is a beer for every occation.

Finally I think people are now looking more at beer as they do wine so it is becoming more acceptable to have some different flavour profiles in it other than what megaswill has today. I wonder if in 20 years people will say remember how VB used to taste? And the homebrew scene is full of people trying to recreate the megaswill of today.

I prefer to make my own burgers at home with quality fresh ingrediants but I am still happy to go to Maccas for what it is. I feel the same way about beer.... I would much prefer to make my own beer and drink it but am happy to drink a "megaswill" when need be.

The worst thing that I could imagine is that the down to earth home brew crowd change their name to "craft brewers" and turn their nose up at the "megaswill lowerclass" in the same way the wine snobs and foodies do.

A megaswill is still great when you are at the pub with your mates.... If you forget about your mates being there and get caught up on the fact that you are forced to drink a VB then you have lost the true joy of having a beer with your mates!

I prefer to make my own burgers at home with quality fresh ingrediants but I am still happy to go to Maccas for what it is. I feel the same way about beer.... I would much prefer to make my own beer and drink it but am happy to drink a "megaswill" when need be.

The worst thing that I could imagine is that the down to earth home brew crowd change their name to "craft brewers" and turn their nose up at the "megaswill lowerclass" in the same way the wine snobs and foodies do.

A megaswill is still great when you are at the pub with your mates.... If you forget about your mates being there and get caught up on the fact that you are forced to drink a VB then you have lost the true joy of having a beer with your mates!

Well said Camo.

Da Yoopers Free Beer Lyrics
1. SOME GUYS LIKE THAT BOTTLED BEER
SOME LIKE IT IN A CAN
SOME SAY A KEG'S THE BEST BEER
FOR A REAL BEER DRINKING MAN
EVERYONE HAS THEIR FAVORITE
BUT ON ONE THING THEY AGREE
THE GREATEST BEER IN ALL THE WORLD
IS THE ONE YOU DRINK FOR FREE
CHORUS:
FREE BEER FREE BEER
THAT'S MY FAVORITE BRAND
IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO BUY IT
ITS THE BEST BEER IN THE LAND
WARM FLAT FUNKY
IT DON'T MATTER TO ME
THE GREATEST BEER IN THIS WHOLE WORLD
IS THE ONE YOU BUY FOR ME
2. THE BOYS AT THE BAR WERE BETTING
ON WHOSE BEER WAS THE BEST
I DIDN'T HAVE A NICKEL
SO THEY CHOSE ME TO MAKE THE TEST
THOSE FIFTEEN DIFFERENT KINDS OF BEER
WERE WONDERFUL TO ME
EACH ONE WAS MY FAVORITE BREW
THE BEER I DRINK FOR FREE
(REPEAT CHORUS)
3. OUR OLD PAL NUDSIE GOT MARRIED
HE WAS TRYING TO SAVE SOME BUCKS
HE WENT OUT AND BOUGHT THE CHEAPEST BEER
AND BOY IT REALLY SUCKED
BUT AFTER YOU CHOKE THAT FIRST ONE DOWN
THE REST GO EASILY
AS LONG AS YOU REMEMBER THAT
YOU'RE DRINKING THEM ALL FOR FREE
(REPEAT CHORUS)

A more poignant song lyric has never been written.

So did you get around to trying a brisbane bitter Rowy?

Tried Liquor one and couldn't find it Brad. Where did you get yours? No chance of getting one today as the bridle has been taken off the horse as I'm three tallies into an experiment :rolleyes:

Xmas day I found myself with a Carlton Dry in my hand............Generally a form of beer I'd never drink. But on a hot humid afternoon after a long walk through the paddocks of my parent's farm, it went down a treat.

There is almost a temptation in me to goto Dan's and grab a single of all the main megaswills and actually sit down and do a tasting evening.

Tried Liquor one and couldn't find it Brad. Where did you get yours? No chance of getting one today as the bridle has been taken off the horse as I'm three tallies into an experiment :rolleyes:

Dans is the only place ive seen it.

If you forget about your mates being there and get caught up on the fact that you are forced to drink a VB then you have lost the true joy of having a beer with your mates!
I dunno - I find that I can enjoy my friends' company perfectly well without having to drink something I don't like.

I had a Brisbane Bitter last weekend.

It's the ******* love-child of VB and oyster sauce with a splash of dirt.

Actually - I think it's just VB.

I had a Brisbane Bitter last weekend.

It's the ******* love-child of VB and oyster sauce with a splash of dirt.

Actually - I think it's just VB.
No, thats the gold tops. The bitter is a different beer. I done the gold top, brisbane bitter and VB test. I only liked one which was the bitter. As far as megaswill goes I would buy this over the other cub/ lion nathan beers when away from my fridge.

Cheers

Apologies, I'm not holding the end up either- tried both Bulimba Gold Top and the Brissie Bitter, let's just say I'm rather glad that I never forked out for a six pack, let alone a carton! :blink: OTOH, I could just blame Dan's handling though... :ph34r:
However, I would be swayed away from the green box if I was faced with choosing between one of the three.

Back