Medievil Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallablack

Reaction score
I hope I have put this in the right place.

I am moving on from the simple and uncreative kit brewing to something a little more exciting.

I have come across a recipe in the Brewcraft News magazine and am very interested.

I would love some opinions on it.

It sounds good on the write up but your experienced input would be greatly appreciated and heeded.

Let me know if you would make any changes.

The recipe is as follows.

Medievil Honey Chamomile Amber.

To 20 litres of water add the following for a 1 hour boil up:

Boil for 60 minutes:

3.0 kg Amber Malt Extract

150 gms Light Crystal Malt

0.6 kg Yellow Box Honey

30 gms Fuggles Hop Pellets

Add at 30 minutes and boil for 30 minutes:

30 gms Fuggles Hop Pellets

125 French Oak Chips

Add at 35 minutes and boil for 25 minutes:

9 x Chamomile Tea bags

Cool the wort and add 2 x Morgans Premium Ale Yeast, ferment as usual.

Gday Wallablack,

I saw that recipe and attempted an All grain version, pretty much scratching my head along the way.

The only other change was I couldn't get french oak, and used American Oak chips.
Called it the Village Idiot, and entered it in the Schwartz Brewery Comp... didn't win, not suprisingly. Awaiting judging notes

I'll say it's hell interesting, Lots of honey flavour, but with a huge woody feel to it.
Too bad you're not in sydney, as I'd swap one with you if you do the original recipe
The recipe link is in my signature below.
Cheers Pete

Gday Wallablack,

I saw that recipe and attempted an All grain version, pretty much scratching my head along the way.

The only other change was I couldn't get french oak, and used American Oak chips.
Called it the Village Idiot, and entered it in the Schwartz Brewery Comp... didn't win, not suprisingly. Awaiting judging notes

I'll say it's hell interesting, Lots of honey flavour, but with a huge woody feel to it.
Too bad you're not in sydney, as I'd swap one with you if you do the original recipe
The recipe link is in my signature below.
Cheers Pete

Thanks man.
I will give it a go "as is" cos I can get my hands on everything there and ill probably make a start on it next weekend.
Just needed some experienced feedback on it and if anything needed to be changed.
I have never thought of posting brew due to sediment issues, if you are prepared to receive it in a packaged wooden box ill courier it to you at no cost (call it a good contact) when it is ready but YOU will have to keep on my case cos I will probably forget.

Thanks man.
I will give it a go "as is" cos I can get my hands on everything there and ill probably make a start on it next weekend.
Just needed some experienced feedback on it and if anything needed to be changed.
I have never thought of posting brew due to sediment issues, if you are prepared to receive it in a packaged wooden box ill courier it to you at no cost (call it a good contact) when it is ready but YOU will have to keep on my case cos I will probably forget.
I'd make sure you can find the french oak chips.... I reckon they'd give a winey feel, compared to american bourbon-y... but that's a guess as to the origins of the barrel.
Cheers dude & no worries

Could be an intersting recipe, but I would not boil the wood chips, you risk severe tannin extraction and other off flavors that would take a lot of aging to subdue. By all means add them to the fermenter or better yet to secondary and allow to age for a month or two.

Andrew

Could be an intersting recipe, but I would not boil the wood chips, you risk severe tannin extraction and other off flavors that would take a lot of aging to subdue. By all means add them to the fermenter or better yet to secondary and allow to age for a month or two.

Andrew

Yeah good call. I will definatley do that.
Thanks for the advise.

Andrew

Andrew - are wood chips generally sanitised enough to add directly to the fermenter? Is there any prep that needs doing prior to this to sanitise them? (i.e. boiling them separately and then adding the boiled chips to the fermenter)

Andrew - are wood chips generally sanitised enough to add directly to the fermenter? Is there any prep that needs doing prior to this to sanitise them? (i.e. boiling them separately and then adding the boiled chips to the fermenter)

You can either soak them in alcohol (ie Scotch) or steam them. Wood is full of organisms that will eventually sour the beer. My club made an oak aged porter that we aged in a 50 gal whisky cask for about a year. It still had some whisky in it when we racked the beer into it but it still soured - badly. It only took about 3 months to get that way too.

looks like a prety standard brewcraft recipe by their standards

id up the honey to 1kg as yellowbox is fairly tame in flavour. you definitely want french oak or something lighter than american oak as the flavour of american oak to a bit intnse and in the wrong directio (think more dark beers).

as for the hops, well medievil beers used herbs to bitter the beer and werent realy into flavouring the beer (ie late additions), so its probably about right. let us know how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back