Mechanical relay cost

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Irrelevant in Australia as we use 240v.

And why would/are you buying 110v elements...
That's the whole point; no ones using 110V elements, not even the yanks and Canadians. They just have manipulate their supply to get 240v, whereas we obviously don't

:)

mofox1 said:
I'd prefer to have my kettle and HLT to be electrically isolated when I set my "element select" switch to "off
In other words you want to leave it floating, which can be dangerous in certain situations.

Those DIN rails are the ones I used in my build and are a little flimsy but do the job considering they're not readily accessible.

CB's, RCD's or RCBO's are a cheap safeguard for both circuit and operator and don't add much to the overall cost of your build. Sure, you could rely on your meterbox but a lot of old places still don't have RCD's in place. They're not really a viable alternative to a switch though considering their location inside the enclosure.

Like Mofox I used mechanical relays to supply active to my SSR's. I wanted to be able turn the elements on and off easily and didn't want too much current running through the switch contacts.

20140601_180036.jpg 20140601_183802.jpg

Edit: better add some pics. :ph34r:

Ducatiboy stu said:
In other words you want to leave it floating, which can be dangerous in certain situations.
Is it considered floating if both active and neutral are switched off at the same time? When switched on the neutral would be grounded (assuming it was grounded on the incoming side).

Camo6 said:
Those DIN rails are the ones I used in my build and are a little flimsy but do the job considering they're not readily accessible.

CB's, RCD's or RCBO's are a cheap safeguard for both circuit and operator and don't add much to the overall cost of your build. Sure, you could rely on your meterbox but a lot of old places still don't have RCD's in place. They're not really a viable alternative to a switch though considering their location inside the enclosure.

Like Mofox I used mechanical relays to supply active to my SSR's. I wanted to be able turn the elements on and off easily and didn't want too much current running through the switch contacts.

attachicon.gif
20140601_180036.jpg
attachicon.gif
20140601_183802.jpg

Edit: better add some pics. :ph34r:
Hey, that looks familiar (sort of). :D

Spare DIN rail?

Most of my parts are now purchased... that 15% on ebay really hit the fast forward on my control panel. Just wiring, RCD's, breakers and cabling to go. And all the screws, nuts, crimps stuff too.

Looking forward to the build.

You could run the control circuit that goes to the SSR's through the selector switches to be able to select which SSR you want on, without the need for any large current relays or contactors.
This won't give you isolation though.

I think I've got a couple of din rails left over if you want them. Not sure about the end stops though. Maybe a terminal block as well though its got a corner slightly damaged in transit.

Camo6 said:
I think I've got a couple of din rails left over if you want them. Not sure about the end stops though. Maybe a terminal block as well though its got a corner slightly damaged in transit.
Lol. I meant the empty din rail in your control box. Cheers for the offer though :D.

Oops! Yeah, didn't need it in the end but leaves room for upgrades I guess.

Back