Mead Sugar Break Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recieved a Wyeast 4632 this morning and smacked it right away, ready to go within eight hours.
Be brewing a mead tomorrow.

Batz

Has anyone else done a mead using 4632? Do you expect to see any krausen?
Mine has been down a couple of days and no sign of any krausen at all, I'm aerating it with an aquarium pump as I read on the packet this yeast needs plenty of aeration.

Batz

I'm another old school mead maker; I have read Brewer Pete's thoughts on mead making and remain far from convinced of either the need or desirability of some of what has been suggested.

Good honey, good yeast (yes Bats, used both of the Wyeast ones and dry EC1118 among others) good nutrient/acid balance, including lots of yeast hulls and a large helping of patience.

From what I have read I suspect that lots of the ideas coming from the USA are all about speeding up the brewing/maturation, the trade off being in long term stability and the potential for bottle maturation that sees the mead improving for decades.

It's probable that both approaches work, just that one doesn't work as well for me.
MHB

On Hydrometers, I leave a short one in the brew all the way through, taking it out for cleaning and sanitising it when I rack.
On Krausen, some not like beer; appears to be linked to must aeration, more O2 more foam early on. 4632 is my favourite, even for sweet meed, just keep feeding on racking until the yeast gives up somewhere around 18% ABV and you have the desired level of residual sweetness.

M

On Krausen, some not like beer; appears to be linked to must aeration, more O2 more foam early on. 4632 is my favourite, even for sweet meed, just keep feeding on racking until the yeast gives up somewhere around 18% ABV and you have the desired level of residual sweetness.

M

I think its also due to the lower protein levels in the mead - there is nothing to stabilise the foam so the bubbles form and burst without forming a big frothy krausen. Like the difference between pouring a sparling wine or soda water compared to a beer.

Cheers
Dave

Was out last night so no reading but tonight 2/2 1.004

Nearly there.

3/2 1.002

Had a little taste. Not bad at all. Very strong flavour from the honey. Will probably need some serious age or blending with something milder but certainly potential for good things.

3/2 1.002

Had a little taste. Not bad at all. Very strong flavour from the honey. Will probably need some serious age or blending with something milder but certainly potential for good things.

5/2 down to 1.001 ish.

5/2 down to 1.001 ish.
9/2 - 1.000

Still going a little. I'm guessing it will finish at 0.996.

Strting to drop clear. Lovely dark almost sherry colour from the mahogany honey.

Latest posts

Back