Mauribrew Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only used it once. I fermented a 10 min APA double batch, one with Mauri 514 and one with US-05 for comparison at 18 deg. After 2 days the US-05 had a very solid thick krausen on top and the Mauri had none. I thought I may have had a bad batch so I pitched another packet. A day later very small krausen. After 4 days I took a Sg reading and to my surprise it was reading 1.016 and the US-05 was 1.010. The mauri did get down to 1.014 but it did leave a slight sweetness compared to the US-05. Nothing else was noticeable flavour wise.

Yes I tried it at 18deg and found it to appear a little sluggish.
Then I read the specs-

TEMPERATURE RANGE:
Thanks to its high temperature tolerance
Mauribrew Ale can ferment from 20C up to
32C. Desirable flavour characters result with
this strain at 22C.

Interesting, they have a wheat beer yeast as well.

Very - http://www.maurivinyeast.com/upload/MAURIB...WEISS%20TDS.pdf

Looks good:

website said:
AROMATIC CONTRIBUTION
Mauribrew Weiss produces large quantities of
fermentation aromas (esters, higher alcohols)
that contribute to the complexity of Germanstyle wheat beers.
Mauribrew Weiss is also suitable for special beers
made with macerated fruits, honey or any kind of
sugar based additional ingredients (maple syrup,
fudge, candies ).
TEMPERATURE RANGE:
Desirable flavour characters result with this
strain through the 15-30C temperature range.
RATE OF FERMENTATION
A rapid fermenter at warm ambient temperatures,
resulting in a typical fermentation time of between
4 and 7 days.

But then:

FINAL CLARITY
Good settling properties at cool temperatures.

Umm, a wheat beer yeast with good flocculation/settling??

Mauri Ale is hectic, I worked in a BOP for a bit and the stuff proofed in minutes, overflowing your vessel if you give it too much wort. I put my bet on it outcompeting most things when wort is being handled in a less than perfect manner, I am not a big fan of the profile, but it is OK, just neither exceptionally clean nor interesting.

To pop up an old thread.

I only brew AG up here in Canada. (I also live just over an hour away from Gambrinus malting). I originally bought this yeast because summer climate in the Okanagan can run from 12c to 42c and my previous brewing area was less than temperature controlled.

Now I use this yeast all the time whenever I am trying to mimic a lager. I buy it in 500g bricks (as I do with most yeasts) and vacuum seal after each use.

If pitched correctly (hydrated and correct amount) and used at reasonable temps (14c-24c) this yeast is a clean, fast fermenter. I've fooled visiting Czechs with this yeast in my Pils recipe. Higher temps and it still isn't too bad.

Been a while since I had to brew at 30+c but I remember it being ok. Hell of a lot less negative flavors than most (all) other yeasts at those temps.

Has anyone used this yeast on a high OG beer? I brewed a 1.090 OG beer with the intent on splitting the batch from 40 liters to 80 liters so I can fill 4 corny kegs. Literature claims beers of up to 9.5%. Anyone? Time to complete, etc? Should I add some fermtek nutrient?

Currently fermenting around 18-20c. Brewed it today.

Necro bump:

When I was in Country Brewer the other week I spotted a good supply of Maurivin yeasts in the fridge so I bought a couple of their lager 497

In the past, to get this yeast I had to track down Morgans Lager yeast, in 7g packs, and have had fair results. It produces a nice neutral lager at ambient temperatures (i.e. "forgiving") and is pretty good for pale beers such as Cream Ales etc, finishes quicker and cleaner than many of the West Coast ale yeasts. Probably a first here, using a lager yeast to make a faux ale :lol: :lol:

Nice thing about the current batch is that it comes in 10g foils for $4, fresh from the manufacturers and well stored as opposed to hunting down the odd sachet of Morgans stored Gawd knows how. Today I pitched two foils into an Aussie Lager. I'll run this at ambient in the Garage that's around 15 and lag FV during the day. This yeast produces little or no sulphur and is extremely bottom fermenting, with little or no krausen - that suits me in my SS BrewBucket.

Will report on results.

I've just used the 514 ale yeast in a coopery type cloney thing, fermented out to 1.010 from a starting gravity of 1.050 in two days flat and that was at 19c! Pretty clean and already seems to be flocculating reasonably. Given that it was the 5gm Brigalow yeast satchets from BigW at $1.50 each, I got three to try it out after doing some research and not having US-05 in the fridge. Very happy with the results so far.

I used 514 from country brewer for a long time for my dark ale. 2 packs re-hydrated as per directions / 20L batch. Fermented at 19-20C.

This stuff is crazy fast and very consistent, cleans up really well after primary. As soon as I would pour it in the fermentor the airlock would be bubbling as I tightened the lid.

Extremely neutral, but that's useful depending on what you want to showcase.

Always finished slightly high ~1014 but then I could allow for it as it was always the same.

The lager yeast went well in dark lagers but I've had trouble with it cleaning up DMS profiles in lighter coloured lagers.

Cheers
Matty

Cripes, Jings and Help ma Boab, :eek:

5 days at 17 degrees, and the Lager 497 has dropped like a stone and clearing from the surface. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading (I don't currently own one) :ph34r: but a sample out of the tap is nice and dry and super clean in flavour.

Another thing I notice this time around is that when I sniff around the top of the FV sitting next to a UK Special Bitter that's been on Ringwood, the Mauri actually has a slight sulphur whiff, just enough to let you know that it's a lager but not farty like some Euro lager yeasts. Very pleased and at the price I'll get a half dozen packs in.

Bump.

Has it been established whether Mauri 514 is, or is not, the yeast that Coopers provide for their ale kits? Opinions on the forum differ over the years.

I have two fresh sachets of Coopers yeast left over from a Stout Toucan - I did that on Wyeast Irish Ale..

Brewing an American IPA and I'm thinking of whacking in the Coopers yeast as I don't have any Chico yeast to hand at the moment.

Depends which can. The Original Series does not - it has a strain developed by Coopers.
The Irish Stout has a commercially available Ale yeast, but they won't say what it is.

Latest posts

Back