Matilda Bay: Dirty Granny Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it's just the alcohol, if that was the case the sweetness would be immediately noticeable after primary fermentation when the vast majority of the alcohol is produced. This is a sweetness that grows with time along with other flavours as the wine matures.

mattyg8 said:
How did the lactose back sweetener go? Mine should be finishing up this weekend so looking to add some lactose in the keg
I didn't end up back sweetening mine. In fact i'm going to use champagne yeat next time, the s04 didn't do the trick.

calobes said:
I didn't end up back sweetening mine. In fact i'm going to use champagne yeat next time, the s04 didn't do the trick.
What do you mean by "didn't do the trick"? Went too low?

Mr. No-Tip said:
What do you mean by "didn't do the trick"? Went too low?
fg didn't go low enough, not as dry as I was aiming for. Hopefully using a champagne yeast rather than the s-04 will do the trick

Short time lurker, first time poster. I basically found this forum by searching for how to replicate The Dirty Granois as I call it.

I'm a big fan of the cider. Drink far too much of it. The thing I like most is that it ISN'T as sweet as every other cider I've tried. Since producing the first grandchild in the family, we've had a steady stream of visitors over the past 12 months, all of whom are cider fans and have brought about 30 different types. DG is by far the least sweet out of all of them - to the point that I try the rest and it's like drinking sugar & water, and they try DG and think it's disgusting for lack of sweetness.

Interesting some folk here think it's sweet. About the only other 2 ciders I can tolerate are the James Squire Orchard crush and MG Two Step.

Anyway .. I've got an old Apple tree in the yard that's about 80% Granny Smith and 20% some other variety. Produces HEAPS of fruit each year and most of it goes to ground or the annoying lorikeets. I'd like to net it up, let them grow, and punch out several batches of cider.

I've brewed beer before - mainly taking can mixes and tipping them into saucepans and adding hops and other malts to replicate other beers I liked. All 20-odd bar one batch were roaring successes.

I'm going to peruse the threads on here for a few weeks while the buds turn into little balls and start netting up. I'll post any progress I make back here. Hopefully I'll be enjoying a Dirty Granois Analogue at far less than $20 a six-pack beginning next year.

Back