Matching Food And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
Zwickel said:
Hello Brewmates,

if you are a friend of Weissbier, you have to try the traditional Bavarian white sausage with sweet mustard and prezel:

...together with plenty of Weissbier.... :beer:

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A412534
[post="110002"][/post]​

My mouth is watering Zwickel,
Reminds me of my trip to Heidelberg last year, hmmm white sausage, pretzel, mustard and weissbier.

cheers
Darren
[post="110005"][/post]​

I can remember ordering some weisswurst a few years ago at the Augustiner Gaststatte on the Neuhauserstrasse. They came in a big ceramic pot and reminded me of a couple of anemic floating turds. :lol:

That said they paired up beautifully with the Augustiner Weissbier. :rolleyes:

Warren -

I could happily drink a pilsner with a nice hot thai soup, or just down the pils afterwards.

How about some gazpacho soup, warren?

You've got two hands, dontcha?

What food ............... what beer?

Simple answer ................. anything you like

Cheers

Picked up a "what beer with what food" brochure at one of the bottlo's when I was in Canada. They had some OK reccomendations, its a bit long, but here goes

ALE - Red meat, fish and chips, steak and kidney pie, cheddar cheese
BITTER - Grilled shrimp, veggie burgers, hot and sour soup, pesto
BOCK - Bratwurst and sauerkraut, braised rabbit and noodle or dumpling dishes
CREAM ALE - Pasta dishes, facaccia breads, pizza
DOPPELBOCK - Pates and terrines, custards, puddings and other rich desserts
KRIEK - Cherr or chocolate desserts, fruit tarts/pies and puddings
LAGER - Chinese, Cajun and Mexican food, roast chicken
LAMBIC - Sushi, gravlax, mussels and fresh fish dishes
LIGHT ALE - Meat pie, hard cheeses, plowman's lunch (bread, cheese, pickle, onions, etc..)
LIGHT BEER - Nachos, chips, cheezels, pretzels
MALT LIQUOR :super: - Southern BBQ, ribs, chicken
PALE ALE - Curry, steamed clams, Thai noodles, gazpacho
PILSNER - Fish, caviar, smoked salmon, or as an apertif
PORTER - Jambalaya, sweet potato, chocolate
SCOTCH ALE - Steak and kidney pie, hard cheese, desserts (chocolate in particular)
STOUT - Smoke BBQ, leg of lamb, oysters and other shellfish
TRAPPIST - beef, red meat dishes, asparagus, desserts such as fruit cakes and custards
WIESSE - Black forest ham, soft pretzels, veal, bratwurst, chicken breast

Pretty broad, but a reasonable starting point for a bottlo to be supplying
All the best
Trent

Still sounds like a drink with a drink Kai. smile.gif

Warren -

Hi Warren, do you take water with your meal by any chance??.......

For me a large pot of Belgian style mussels and a Hefeweizen are the go. Hoegaarden is a little too mild - and no H2O.

Wes

While there are some great suggestions for beer and food on this thread and I would gladly try them all, I still reckon the basics are the best.

johnno

bbq.JPG

last night for my birthday i had a trois monts with some brie de meaux, and some 5 year old st bernardus 8 with roquefort...yummmmmmmmmm

i also like: southwark stout with oysters - altbier or saison with moroccan lamb - a pint of ordinary bitter with a ploughmans - budvar with fried cheese! - the other night i found coopers sparkling strangely enough is perfect with a cardamomy roganjosh

I had a couple of sausage rolls with some sauce last night.

Went very well with Batz Brewery Altbier.

cheers
johnno

It's unfortunate that restaurants don't generally serve IPAs, Southwark Stout and Guinness. They're great food beers. Oh, and a Chimay White with/instead of dessert!

johnno said:
While there are some great suggestions for beer and food on this thread and I would gladly try them all, I still reckon the basics are the best.

johnno
[post="110227"][/post]​

Maaate, I need to visit soon Johnno, that looks the goods.. :beerbang:

When out, the best combo so far has been Franziskaner and German sausage at Lowenbrau at The Rocks.

Cheers.

neonmeate said:
last night for my birthday i had a trois monts with some brie de meaux, and some 5 year old st bernardus 8 with roquefort...yummmmmmmmmm

Damn you to heck

Back