Matching Food And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
Here's an interesting article i found on realbeer.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good pairings: Start with the beer
Nov. 22, 2000

Last week we provided some basic tips on pairing food and beer. This week we'll get more specific about pairings. However, let's keep our priorities in order. Instead of picking a dish and then the appropriate beer, we'll start with the beer and go from there:
Golden or blonde ale, American wheat ale, lightly hopped lagers: Since these beers lack both maltiness and hoppiness, they work best as thirst-quenchers. Try them with super-hot food, such as blackened redfish. Once your tongue has been assaulted with hot spices, it will no longer be able to appreciate an intricately flavored beer, anyway.

Weissbier, dunkelweiss: You want to be able to enjoy the flavors of the yeast, so stick with delicate foods, such as soup or pasta or light cheeses. These beers also work well with lightly flavored vegetarian dishes, such as grilled vegetables, or light chicken dishes.

Amber ale: A good all-around beer for any food that isn't sweet -- something sweet will detract from the maltiness in the beer. It complements sandwiches, hearty soups and pizzas. Also a good thirst-quencher for barbecue or Mexican food.

Bitter, pale ale, India pale ale, German/Bohemian pilsners: Although hops can kill your tastebuds when paired with many foods, they do make for some particularly good matches -- fried seafood, for example, because hoppiness cuts through grease, or anything with vinegar as a main ingredient. They also complement smoked, boiled, steamed or broiled seafood. And they can enhance the spiciness of highly spiced cuisine. The fruitier pale ales also will complement lamb, beef and game, or try them with liver pate.

English or American brown ale: Hamburgers and sausages are hearty enough for either kind of ale. The English brown may match nicely with smoked fish, while game dishes can stand up to the hoppiness of the American brown.

Porter, dry or oatmeal stout: Think hearty foods -- meat dishes with gravy, barbecue, shepherd's pie, stew. Oysters are also ideal. Both these beers and brown ales will stand up to stronger cheeses such as sharp cheddar and blue.

Cream or sweet stout, imperial stout: These are made for chocolate, and imperial stout pairs especially well with dark chocolate. Also try chocolate-and-fruit desserts, such as stout cheesecake with raspberry sauce, or something with caramel or pecans.

Vienna lager/Oktoberfest/Maerzen, dark lager, bock: Like amber ale, these are good all-around food beers, and they're not as filling as ales. The lagers will cut some of the heaviness in sauce-based meat dishes -- chicken paprikash, goulash or pork rouladen, for example -- and will stand up to their strong flavors. The perfect beers to serve with pretzels and mustard. Sweeter bocks, such as doppelbocks, can complement heartier, spicier desserts, such as pumpkin pie or spice cake.

Fruit beers, lambics: Sweeter fruit beers and fruit lambics can be paired with light fruit desserts, such as souffles or chiffon cake, but sour ones will probably overwhelm fruit flavors. Some people like to drink lambics with dark chocolate. Entrees that are prepared with fruit - for example, raspberry-glazed duck breast -- can pair nicely with fruit beers. Consider enjoying these alone at the end of the meal.

Cheers Hopsta!

One of the most memorable dinners I have had was a beer tasting dinner about twenty years ago when I worked for Matilda Bay. John Jens, who some of you Perth troops will remember, ran it.

We probably had about 12-14 beers all accompanied with different food. Surprisingly, we didn't get drunk!

What really stuck out for me at that dinner was the fact that I disliked both stout and plain oysters. The two combined at this dinner however were spectacular! I thought I'd bring this up as the oysters weren't mentioned with the stout above. I think we had these early in the dinner as well - oysters early was understandable but stout? Anyway, give it a go.

Sidetrack from beer.... Grange Hermitage: The other fascinating tasting experience I had back then was when John held a Grange Hermitage tasting at The Albion. We probably tasted 10-12 Grange's ranging from early 1950 to, must have been, around 1983. Half way through the tasting, John threw in a Henschke Hill of Grace.

For those of you who know, Hill of Grace is a superb wine, one of the best, however it was absolutely undrinkable when placed in the middle of the Grange's. It smelt and tasted like, well the only accurate word is sh*it. I was dumb-founded and will never forget that.

'Scuse the ramble!
PP

I have been doing a bunch of thinking about this lately. I am planning a beer dinner with some friends. This is what I have come up with.

I made this menu after reading "The Brewmasters Table" by Garrett Oliver, the brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery. It is a fantastic book all about matching food and beer. I highly recommend it if you really want some great ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Brewmates,

if you are a friend of Weissbier, you have to try the traditional Bavarian white sausage with sweet mustard and prezel:

weisswurst.jpg

...together with plenty of Weissbier.... :beer:

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A412534

Zwickel said:
Hello Brewmates,

if you are a friend of Weissbier, you have to try the traditional Bavarian white sausage with sweet mustard and prezel:

weisswurst.jpg

...together with plenty of Weissbier.... :beer:

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A412534
[post="110002"][/post]​

My mouth is watering Zwickel,
Reminds me of my trip to Heidelberg last year, hmmm white sausage, pretzel, mustard and weissbier.

cheers
Darren

those white sausages look weird zwickel but im sure they would taste the grouse.beer and food are my faves.pizza is tops but ive also found of late that alt beir and saurkraut work a treat.
other than that i really havent given it much thought but aaron im sure your parings will work well.im looking forward to the invite. ;) :rolleyes:

cheers
big d

Just had a look then Aaron. Looks as though you've put a fair bit of thought into it and sounds great. (I'm coming with Claire but only if she sends a photo!)

I do have a suggestion though...

I would try and expand the number of beers. I don't think 3 beers is enough for a beer/food dinner. The way that you increase the number of beers without increasing food courses is to have beers before, between and after courses. Use glasses and that way everyone will probably have around 1/3 to 1/2 a stubby each. (Claire and I will quickly get rid of the left-overs!)

The dinner I mentioned above with John Jens was probably 6 courses and I think may have gone something like this...

a) Beer on Arrival - Had some sort of nibblies that I can't remember and I think the beer was Stella (but Stella back then was pretty good!) Also may have been a second beer thrown in here.
B) Sit at Table Beer - Maybe Matilda Bay Pils?
c) Entree Beer - Stout with Oysters. (Pretty sure there was another entree but this is 20 years ago now so have no idea.)
d) Before Mains Beer - No idea but probably something refreshing like Carlsberg Gold as it was back then.
e) Mains Beer - Probably Matilda Bay Dark Lager (now known as Dogbolter proabably with a red meat dish.)
f) After Mains Beer - Pretty sure it was Pilsener Urquell.
g) Dessert Beer - Probably a Lambic Beer.
h) Cheese Beers - I think 2 or 3 were served with cheese platters although John would have told us which beer to have with which cheese. (I do remember that we had everything from Cheddars to Blue Vein - go Havarti!)

I'm not very confident in my accuracy above but it may trigger some ideas for you.

Reflecting, after my huge ramble, I think you could well use Hopsta's initial post to rack up the number of beers. Just don't be afraid to throw in heavier beers (stout) or sweeter beers (lambic - maybe even with nibblies???) early. There certainly shouldn't be a progression from milder to stronger/sweeter beers. Mix it up! You'll get more conversation and if everyone hates one beer, it doesn't matter - you'll have another 8 up your sleeve and can quickly move on.

I hope the above triggers some brain waves and I look forward to you providing Claire and I with our flight details. ;)

Cheers
PP

P.S. Think I need a moderator to sit beside me and stop me rambling so much!

Sorry about the b above. Tried to get rid of it on an edit but????

A couple more beers is probably a good idea. However, the people I am intending to invite are not "real" beer drinkers. So I don't want to over do it with them. I want them to be able to remember what they tasted. I will however, supplement it with my own versions of those styles.

Stout allways makes me go staroght for the cheese....

Pilsner and fish with lemon go well together

Have been waiting for such a thread, used to degustation dinners with 8+ courses and wines, but have been waiting for the chance to work with beers. From tonights menu: Served with a Chocolare Porter.

Split 6 ripe figs in half, fill cavity with half teaspoon of King Island Blue (or better still if you can source it - Goat Curd, a ripper like Dee Cullen's Coolabine Goat Cheese), then wrap a single slice of prosciutto around the stuffed fig. Place skin down on a grill rack and bake for 15 min at 150 deg until the figs are soft and serve as an entree 3 per serve with chocoate porter for him and a viognier for her.

Gotta add this
I find that my porter's tend to supplement sushi very well, which may sound wierd havinbg a chocolatey flavour with it, but it does go well. Next time yer having sushi, crack open a dark beer, see how it goes.
All the best
Trent

Screwtop said:
Have been waiting for such a thread, used to degustation dinners with 8+ courses and wines, but have been waiting for the chance to work with beers. From tonights menu: Served with a Chocolare Porter.

Split 6 ripe figs in half, fill cavity with half teaspoon of King Island Blue (or better still if you can source it - Goat Curd, a ripper like Dee Cullen's Coolabine Goat Cheese), then wrap a single slice of prosciutto around the stuffed fig. Place skin down on a grill rack and bake for 15 min at 150 deg until the figs are soft and serve as an entree 3 per serve with chocoate porter for him and a viognier for her.
[post="110033"][/post]​

Hey Screwtop, the missus has done exactly the same recipe as an entree more than once, it is awesome :beerbang: ! Goes well with a hoppy APA.

C&B
TDA

I'm not sure about lumping pils in with the pale ales, nor some of the other groupings. I do like a wheat beer with fish & chips though.

Coopers Pale Ale & Lindt Dark Chocolate (in the same mouthfull)
awesome!

tangent said:
Coopers Pale Ale & Lindt Dark Chocolate (in the same mouthfull)
awesome!
[post="110105"][/post]​

Now that would be a picture! :D :p

Beef Steak and a nice full flavoured ESB! Match made in heaven

Also Chimay Blue and Rochefort cheese....best of mates

try the Lindt and Coopers and you'll swear it's a belgian Wit (edit-yeast)!

Hopsta said:
Weissbier, dunkelweiss: You want to be able to enjoy the flavors of the yeast, so stick with delicate foods, such as soup or pasta

I challenge anyone to find a beer that pairs up with soup. There's something weird about consuming a combination of hot and cold liquid that never works for me. Bit like a drink with your drink. :blink:

Porter and chocolate coated coffee beans or nuts always taste pretty nice together. :beerbang:

Warren -

Back