Massive Explosion In Kansas Grain Facility

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah BD , not unheard of , grain dust is very explosive in the right conditions ...

been a few good silo burns here in Oz over the years from the dust in elevators ..

and I've seen harvesters go up in seconds , but they are normally from bearings over heating to start it off ..

cheers

EDIT : Oh and dont you just hate newsdotcom after that reformat ...ABCnews getting a lot more of my time now
Haha ...

Sad news.
I remember watching a doco a few years ago where a piano was blown up using flour to enhance things. Massive fire ball explosion. I can't find it, but watch the following video and you get the idea of what it can do-

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being in a maize silo when I was a kid and there we huge no smoking signs everywhere. I asked why.

Yep heard of this happening a bit actually. mind you that does sound like a fairly dramatic example.
I believe this is why pretty much no home brewing grain mills are available motorised - because the explosion 'proof' motors are too expencive and they'd be too liable if they sold them without those motors.

Back