Masking Fermentation Flaws

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kymba

what?
Reaction score
so i've brewed up a double batch of coopers mild. it reached FV 2 days ago and it really needs another week on the cake, but too late...i've already pushed it through the filter in preparation for consumption on saturday (AFL GF party fk yeah!)

anyway there is a slight taste of 'young bier' & 'fermented a tiny bit hot' - just slightly

so i was thinking, i have some hops in the fridge - lets bury that skunky taste with hops!

i have: cascade, Bsaaz, Dsaaz, POR, nelson, cluster

i was thinking of doing 1 keg with 1g/L of cascade and the other with 1g/L of nelson

thoughts?

you will end up with quite hoppy beer - that tastes green and like it was fermented hot.

try a bottle test - pour a beer into a bunch of hops in jug, let it gurgle around for a bit and have a taste. you'll need to over do the hops to emulate what you'll get with a bit more contact time in the keg (although not much more i guess).

See if it helps

so i've brewed up a double batch of coopers mild. it reached FV 2 days ago and it really needs another week on the cake, but too late...i've already pushed it through the filter in preparation for consumption on saturday (AFL GF party fk yeah!)

anyway there is a slight taste of 'young bier' & 'fermented a tiny bit hot' - just slightly

so i was thinking, i have some hops in the fridge - lets bury that skunky taste with hops!

i was thinking of doing 1 keg with 1g/L of cascade and the other with 1g/L of nelson

thoughts?
I've done it before and wouldnt recommend it. Although i used styrians, using an american hop might be more forgiving, I would be careful not to over do it tho. Maybe 10g for a keg or so, you can always add a few more grams if you think it needs it. It might smooth out a touch by gf day without hopping. Good luck

bah

thoughts?
hi kymba, any chance of sharing this recipe ? it's one of my favourites when i buy portable beer :icon_cheers:

hi kymba, any chance of sharing this recipe ? it's one of my favourites when i buy portable beer :icon_cheers:
yeah mate it's pretty much the same as andrew's recipe, just adjusted to achieve desired alc% and mashed a bit higher View attachment document.pdf

this morning i found some more surprises in the hop store: centennial, sorachi ace, apollo, bravo and falconers flight - so that means tonight i am going to have to try each one on its own :rolleyes: - i'm strangely excited about this

anyways, here is a photo after filtering

Image0429_1_.jpg

disregard that - i had half a glass over an hour ago and i can still taste that fusely shitness in my mouth :icon_vomit:

looks like its full strength or gtfo for the GF

jeez i must have been pissed last night to even entertain the thought of rescuing this batch

thoughts?
:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: Mmmmmmmmm, Nelson Sauvin.

I say go for it.

Sounds to me like your not going to be happy drinking it on GF day unless you do something. I am a self confessed NS addict though. (half way through my fourth pint of my NS house ale for the evening as i type).

Cascade works well as a keg hop.

I've done this same thing several times when beers haven't quite turned out how we envisage them. We're only human, we make judgement calls often as we brew a batch of beer, and if it doesn't work as planned, then it's time to go to plan B.

POR is to style, but not sure i'd attempt keg hopping with it. (i like POR alot, but i still wouldn't use it to keg hop).

Definitely go with the more flavoursome/aromatic ones and for this reason i'd back cascade and NS.

Back