Mashmaster Weldless Thermometer Installation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spade bit was a piece of pi$$.

When you think about it...the spade bit has a point which goes in first and directs the spade cutters. It is very precise and it will not skit all over the place like your 1/2" bit.

Use a new one and it will cut plastic like butter with hardly any pressure. ;)

SJ

Would the putty have an icycyonate to harden the resin ? may be carconagenic check it is food grade

Pumpy <_<
The mash never comes into contact with the hardened epoxy, as it's inside the insulated wall cavity.
...Not that it matters - the Selleys website suggests it is safe in contact with potable water.

Ok, job's done...
I used a brand new 19mm Speedbore spade bit and found the hole was too small to even force the threaded pipe into the mashtun. A few strokes later with the round hand file and I could screw the threaded fitting through the inner and outer mashtun walls. It was tight before I installed the washers and locknuts! I took a guess and put the silicon washers against the mashtun walls, followed by the stainless washers and then the locknuts - let me know if I've got the washers in the wrong order please!!

Thanks to the very large 4" dial, I couldn't put the thermometer too low for fear of the dial fouling against the ball valve handle. So for those considering doing this job, I recommend you mark a spot 50mm above the original tap hole and you'll be fine. Here's a pic of the mashtun with the mashmaster thermometer installed and a look inside the mashtun...

Thermo_002.jpg Thermo_006.jpg

All I need to do now is cut down the false bottom hose (12 inch SS false bottom from B3), install two SS hose clamps and I'll be mashing in a 10 Gallon batch of pale ale on Friday to test out the new filter kit! :D

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and advice...

Cheers,
TL

Nice work TL!! :)

The tap and therm positioning is as good as identical to mine except mine's in a 50 litre converted vessel. Only (minor) drawback you'll have is the therm measuring the temp of your strike water if you do a protein rest (well for me anyway) because I use a starting L/G ratio of 1.5 litres per kg. OTOH the therm still measures the temp of the whole mess once the grain's in.

Other than that it's a real luxury having that big therm stem smack in the middle of your mash. B)

Warren -

Looks the goods TL. ;)

I love my Gatorade Mash Tun... I have the exact same setup...it is sooo easy to use and clean also.

Well done.

SJ

((snip)) Only (minor) drawback you'll have is the therm measuring the temp of your strike water if you do a protein rest (well for me anyway) because I use a starting L/G ratio of 1.5 litres per kg.

That's a pretty stiff mash for a protein rest but I'm assuming that you're infusing with additional hot strike water to move up to saccharification rest temps? Can you direct heat your mashtun? I use an immersion element and for small volume rests I'd shove the stick thermometer into the mash if it sits below the probe. At the risk of drifting O/T, I'm planning on a 2L per kilo mash (if I bother with a protein rest) and I'd heat the strike water, add to mashtun, dough-in and then use the immersion element and an infusion of hot water to bring the mash up to saccharification rest temps and a final mix of around 2.3L per kilo of grain - bearing in mind that with the 10 Gal mashtun I will be using around 9-10kg of grains for each standard strength batch and thus the additional .3L per kilo gives me the opportunity to add up to 3L of boiling water if necessary - Promash is my friend! ;)

As an earlier pic below shows, I have a keg shaped HLT and kettle - I like / need the insulation properties of the mashtun and I can easily direct heat the strike water and kettle and the immersion element gives me ample temp control since I'm not bringing the mash up to the boil, just warming it up...and there's always the coffee kettle if a small volume of boiling water is quickly needed! And of course, it all moves about courtesy of a March pump!!! :p

figure3.JPG

Cheers,
TL

That's a pretty stiff mash for a protein rest

Yeah, you guessed it TL. I infuse up to Sacc rest temps. The 1.5/1 starting LG ratio isn't too bad when you get the hang of it. Wrists get a bit stressed doughing in around 10kg of grain though. B)

Your brewrig looks stainless horny TL! :)

Warren -

The rig is shamelessly based on Pumpy's setup...I'll post a pic with all the plumbing done when I get a chance.

It's a labour of love! I wish the garage still looked that tidy too!

Cheers,
TL

Just a quick follow-up post to advise that last weekend's munich ale mash worked a treat - the sparge was a tad slow but I managed to get 76% efficiency and crystal clear wort out of the mashtun and I'm doing another brew this weekend to, erm, further refine my strike and sparge water volumes and temps... ;)

Cheers, and avagoodaussieweekend!!
TL

Guys can anyone advise regarding the installation of a 1/2" ball valve in a Rubbermaid 40L cooler? What's required etc? Any drilling or is it just a case of some screws and seals?

TIA.

Guys can anyone advise regarding the installation of a 1/2" ball valve in a Rubbermaid 40L cooler? What's required etc? Any drilling or is it just a case of some screws and seals?

TIA.

Hey Mate,

where about's in perth are you? i've got a 10 galon rubbermaid you can come check out for ideas might also have some spare parts you can use

Cheers Rob.

Latest posts

Back