Esky Thermometer Installation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Hi brewers,

just wondering, those of you who have installed a thermometer in the esky mash tun - what sort of bit did you use to drill through the wall. Tossing up between a hole saw bit, or a spade bit. Not sure which will be best to use.

Any other tips would also be appreciated.

It's one of those vertically rectangular coleman coolers if that helps. I didn't have to drill the hole for the tap, as my ball valve was a perfect fit for the existing tap hole, but i'm not sure what to use for the thermo hole, and obviously am only going to get one shot at this - want to get it right....

Cheers,

Bignath

At least you asked

I didn't

It leaks

I used a spade bit for my ball valve but went a little smaller and used my dremel and round file til I had a snug fit. Had a tiny leak but a silicone washer fixed it.

At least you asked

I didn't

It leaks

:lol:

I used a spade bit for my ball valve but went a little smaller and used my dremel and round file til I had a snug fit. Had a tiny leak but a silicone washer fixed it.

Cool, thanks keifer.

Did the resulting hole come out clean, or does a spade bit tear the plastic of the esky a bit??

Tears it even at low speed thats why I started smaller cause the plastic doesn't fair too well. One thing I was told and will never forget is its easier to take a bit more out than to add it back.

Only other thing I can say is take ur time and got slow as the inside is just.foam and can easily send the drill bit off track and have an angled hole.

Back